Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally the first race of the Japanese DH series was held this weekend.....And I got to try out my new Sunday. Now this is my first DH race so I was a little nervous. But the bike was incredible. From the start line there was a very slight slope which meant you had to pedal like hell if you wanted to get a good time. The Sunday just didn't bob as I (tried to) sprinted down the first section. The course was pretty rocky but it soaked up everything I gave it. I was a little nervous about hitting the 7ft drop off as I've never done it before but the bike soaked it up like I had just gone off a kerb.... One of my Japanese friends raced his Sunday Team also, but his bike looked a little different to mine!! He had the somewhat strange idea of getting his bike resprayed "bright pink"....Don't ask me why.... I'll post some pics below.... The Honda guys turned up with all their bells and whistle, but they were well off the pace of the current Japanese Champion on his Cannondale who took away the win, 9 seconds faster than the 2nd place guy (on a Honda)...They had the new Honda 05 Prototype on show which looked pretty nice too.......I followed Mio Suemasa down the course in practice.....God she was fast!!!!!!!! Its no fun being beaten by a girl :p
I was quite strange being the only foreign male racing there..... I got quite a few stares but everyone was really friendly..... Here are some pics..... Sorry they ain't the best!!!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
nice pics doggie!!!

those honda bikes look phreakin retarted. like they came from wal-mart.
your bike looks sweet though and so does the pink one. your friend better be throwin down to rock a pink bike like that though.

good luck the rest of the season.

·
I dig trails!
5,608 Posts
Cool pics and story.

I gotta say about the pink bike...

That thing is pimp! Azz kickin' pink.

It reminds me of a night when I was in London a few years back. This young guy is walking down the sidewalk with his mates and he is wearing a kilt - waking all punk-like. Just begging anyone to say something. Freaking hardcore.

Your buddy is on to something.

How did you do? Did you like flyin down the hill under the eye of the clock?

Mr. P

·
May contain nuts
2,433 Posts
markfielding1977 said:
I followed Mio Suemasa down the course in practice.....God she was fast!!!!!!!! Its no fun being beaten by a girl :p
Nice pics and report.

If you thought Mio was quick; wait til you see our Scarlett. 1.5sec faster at Les Gets and still racing Junior :p

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah those Hondas do look a little on the strange side......The do look pretty special up close though!!!! Its quite a humble sight seeing 2 or 3 honda technicians on each of their bikes after each run. I set off straight after both of them on a practice run, but didn't see them at all on the way down!!!!!

I must admit when my mate told me he was getting his bike resprayed "shocking pink" (as he put it), I was a little worried about it looking really crap.... But in the flesh it isn't too bad..... Not sure it will catch on though.

I didn't do great in the race but didn't do terribly either. I came 20th out of 50 in my class, but racing against the clock made me a little nervous and my line choice was pretty sh1te in some parts....but I can't complain seen as its my first race.

Mr.P, yeah I think you are right about differnt cultures. It will be very strange when I eventually go home to the UK, not to be stared at all the time. I'm sure if they thought I was a seasoned pro, they would soon change their mind after watching my line choice in the race :) .
Hey Haggis..... I must be honest a say I didn't realise your girl was 1.5sec quicker....Thats pretty damn good going for a Junior.....I see your girl beat our girl (Rachel Atherton) to the title!!!!!!!
Well the next race is not until the 4th June but its at a place called Fujimi Panorama in Nagano (the prefucture once famous for holding the winter olympics). The course is 4.5km long with almost 800m vertical descent so I'm looking forward to seeing how the Ironhorse does there.

·
New project, TBA shortly
1,024 Posts
nice, great writeup and congratulations on your race!! we love to hear stories and see pictures of IH bikes around the world, even if they're bright pink. :p glad you liked racing, japan sounds like a great place to ride and race. might have to come up with an excuse for the boss to come over at some point. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.