Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, they didn't actually liquefy and drip down to the ground, but prolonged exposure to sunlight has certainly taken its toll on my commuter's grips.

They've got a gross, sticky texture now. I hate to think what kind of chemicals are leaching out of the grips into my hands.

I use Oury grips, which are made of very soft rubber. Can anyone recommend a grip that holds up very well under prolonged direct sunlight?

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
that's a tough one.... I don't kow of any grips that are made with that purpose in mind (I can be wrong of course)...if not you could use cheap ones and change them often....or maybe bar tape

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
I know of the gooeyness of which OP speaks. I don't think it's the sun particularly, though. It seemed to get worse for me with sweat as well as some cleaners I tried after getting my greasy mitts all over them. I'm using just soap and water in the future and trying to avoid getting my greasy mitts all over them as precautions. I've left the bike in the sun quite a bit and don't seem to get any added gooeyness from that but I never really thought of that as a cause either. Maybe it's just the way the squishy rubber compound breaks down in time...but I love 'em even if I have to replace them faster than another grip.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
UV light and the acid in your skin/sweat is what breaks it down. Staying away from colored grips help. I recomend finding some white grips as they will reflect sunlight better and not break down as fast. Also you could drop some coin on some of the Brooks leather grips. They won't melt, and they're cool. :thumbsup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.