Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding it for a while now, but now I finished the final build (for a while at least).

Rides like I hoped it would, comfortable, responsive and smooth.

Meet my new Phil Wood:

More pics and the story here!

And yes, the color is Rootbeer. Very different from the Rootbeer I saw some time ago her on the boards. This pic shows the color very good:

This is the first MTB which has good proportions, I love the big wheels!

JJ

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Schweeeeet!

That is nice!

- I wonder if Brent will take a trade-in on my 26" SS? ;)

·
Registered
604 Posts
HU,
OK, I'll bite................26er fork, really?? If so, what is the crown to axle?

C

Hubert said:
Look out, Jeff is going to break your fork ;)

Again: JJT, that's a very nice bike you have there, especially the "26er" fork!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The shorter fork is no problem. I just should not put a Reba in this Frame, that should screw up the geometry in a very bad way I think.

I need some more time trying the bike, it is still so new for me and I'd like to test some other bikes of friends again to see if I can feel the difference in fork/offset and stuff like that.

Looking forward to do some longer distance stuff with this bike and see how it behaves comparingto my 26" OnOne

JJ

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I hope that is positive ;)

I have to admit the advantages of the 29" wheel was not my main drive to get this bike. I'm a tall person and the only thing I did not like about my 26" singlespeed was the way it looks. Together with all the advantages some friends kept throwing at me was a good reason to get this frame/bike.

The result, just visual, is stunning! I never had a bike with such perfect proportions, a good reason to go 29" for me. On the riding side My first impression is that my OnOne is more the play bike, much easier to put it on another line of the trail, lighter.

I did not do enough riding to make a good comparison, but as a long distance epic kind of rides bike I think the 29er will be the winner, but I have do do some more riding to be sure about that. Steering precision is right on, and those big wheels roll like nothing else, that is just addicting. Have to go upstairs now to site down and watch the bike for a while ;)

JJ

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Don't know exactly, don't need to know either. I Know there are some 853 pipes in it. I'll ask Brent.

Build up my On One today, used the brakes for the PW so it was not rideable. Today I took it for a short spin to feel the difference, and man that felt short. The PW has a 3 cm (64 --> 61 cm) longer toptube, so that makes a huge difference, a lot more room on the Phil Wood!!

Anyone in the market for a 21.5" Ti Inbred :p

JJ

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.