Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
You know, for kids
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we've been using one on a Mono9 for a little over a month now. I have to say I am unimpressed with the finish and the fork in general. It's not meant for Clydes and it just sags. It seems the fork was designed for super lightweights, it doesn't even work well for a 200lb guy. The response is just bad. Rebound isn't quick even when adjusted to be. The damping sucks. It seems to leak air slowly. The air valve cap wasn't even machined properly to fit well.

I have installed a RST M-29 on my new hardtail build and out of the box it just feels better, looks better, has better rebound and damping. Maybe the first batch of Spinners wasn't up to par, I don't know. I would recommend the RST M-29 over this hunk any day...

This is coming from a guy fairly new to suspension forks and who hasn't ridden a Reba or Fox or Manitou

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Does any one else have any experience with the spinner forks? I didn't know they existed until today, I'm curious what other people have thought of them.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
bobbotron said:
Does any one else have any experience with the spinner forks? I didn't know they existed until today, I'm curious what other people have thought of them.
I should be getting one in here soon and will be putting it on a single speed I have. I'll chime in with a report soon.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Guitar Ted said:
I should be getting one in here soon and will be putting it on a single speed I have. I'll chime in with a report soon.
Cool beans. Yeah, I saw that on your blog, that's why I brought it up on this post. :) I saw on the spinner website there's three versions of the fork (a steel coil version, an alu version, and a lighter alu version.) Unfortunately, there's only one version on BTI, and they don't say which it is. I've heard negative things about some of the spinner 2nine forks, that they're flexy. I'd be interested to see what people think about the steel coil one, I bet it's stiffer (a la reba vs tora.) Where would you get one of them?

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
bobbotron said:
Cool beans. Yeah, I saw that on your blog, that's why I brought it up on this post. :) I saw on the spinner website there's three versions of the fork (a steel coil version, an alu version, and a lighter alu version.) Unfortunately, there's only one version on BTI, and they don't say which it is. I've heard negative things about some of the spinner 2nine forks, that they're flexy. I'd be interested to see what people think about the steel coil one, I bet it's stiffer (a la reba vs tora.) Where would you get one of them?
Right now we have a fork that has the coil sprung internals. It isn't a "true to spec" fork, and as such I can not really comment on it. (You can't get what I've got on there, you see). The fork we have coming for our tester is a production spec air sprung model, the RLC.

Spinner forks are carried by J&B Importers who have the entire line, so any LBS that deals with them should be able to set you up.

As for ride quality, Captain Bob has the bike now and hasn't given me any negative feedback on the chassis of the fork, (which is the same on all 2 Nine models). I have yet to ride it, so I haven't gotten any ideas of how it handles just yet.

Hopefully we'll soon be getting that fork and I'll be able to chime in with some trail feedback.

·
You know, for kids
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
iliketoridebikes said:
two things
take the reflectors off
and what do you really expect from a cheap fork
Ahh, but you see, that bike was for retail sale, reflectors are required on all new bikes sold in this state.

I'll reiterate that I enjoyed the RST M-29 much more than the Spinner

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
agu said:
any updates on the Spinner? :)
I just got the Spinner air sprung fork installed on my Dos Niner. Not much trail time yet on it.

My initial impressions are good. I think it is on par with the similarly priced RST M-29, but there are differences in the way these two forks ride.

I do not want to spill any more beans just yet. A "real" off road session is forth coming. I'll report on it afterwards.

Meanwhile the coil sprung version is getting our thumbs up. I've ridden it a couple times off road and Captain Bob loves it. Rides the bike it is installed on a lot these days.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts