Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The sky was angry that day my friend...

It was Friday after work....2.5 miles of wooded trail back to my car when a light rain began to fall... A 38 year old Noobie, on his 4th ride. I decided to go for it...get back as fast as I could ride and damn the torpedos.

Up and down, through thick trees and open fields with wild flowers as high as my handlebars over a trail barely wide enough to let my petals pass....and in the rain....

And all I could think about was, "I hope Gary Fisher thinks it is cool as sh*t that my old as* is out here with a smile on my face that couldn't come off if I tried".

Awesome moment. I'm hooked. X-Cal 29er is everything I hoped.

·
Jacob 34:19
516 Posts
Nice.

Those are the rides you always seem to remember.

Was out with a few buddies last year in a similar situation. We had ridden all but one loop on our local trail. The last loop was the "expert loop" but only a couple miles long and we figured we had at least 20 or minutes of daylight left. As soon as we entered the loop a thundercloud rolled in over our heads and within minutes it was dark. I stopped to take my dark glasses off just to make out the trail and about that time the light show began. The lightning was so bright we were blinded for a few seconds after each strike. Kind of like being in a dark room and having someone take a flash picture of you. Only this would happen about every 30 seconds. It was great fun trying to hold a line down a steep roller while "feeling" your way down the trail until your vision came back. The thunder was so loud you could feel it in your chest. Shortly after the fireworks began, the sky opened up and it just absolutely poured on us. Now we were riding by brail on a trail that was slippery as pig snot on a door knob.

All in all, it was only 20 minutes of 2 hour ride but maybe the most memorable ride of the year. You gotta love springtime in Texas.

~El Perro

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.