Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

61 - 80 of 710 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
i still have #7, although i'm restoring it to it's original glory, including the clampon bullmoose bars. they have downtube shifters brazed on top. and the willits was made custom for me, so it'll never go away. did you notice the dettos in the top pic?

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
den haag said:
i still have #7, although i'm restoring it to it's original glory, including the clampon bullmoose bars. they have downtube shifters brazed on top. and the willits was made custom for me, so it'll never go away. did you notice the dettos in the top pic?

Great action photo....
The mud buildup on the cams reminds me of some past wet days from around here......

·
Registered
71 Posts
It's got drops again! My DeKerf Mountain, as set up for cyclocross:

Bars have to come up a bit, it's about 3/4" lower than my road position which doesn't allow me to use the drops and is a bit uncomfy for rides longer than a cross race.

·
Did I catch a niner+?
2,957 Posts
Where do you guys get the 1" threaded stems that large? Best I got was a Nashbar 130mm 70deg rise (I think) and that did not do much.

And is fleabay a good option for barcon and a cheap shimano rear 9 spd?

·
artistic...
7,593 Posts
safariofthemind said:
Hey Colker1, on post number 24, what handlebar and stem are you using? Thanks.
if my merory is still clear it's an SR stem and a midge handlebar. the sr didn't have enough extension so now it has a nitto dirt drop

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Mr Pink57 said:
Where do you guys get the 1" threaded stems that large? Best I got was a Nashbar 130mm 70deg rise (I think) and that did not do much.

1. There are several lower end bikes from the threaded era that came with stems promoting upright handlebars.

2. Salsa P10, P7.

3. WTB, Cunningham, Potts, Ibis etc. LD Style stem.

4. Nitto Dirt drop

5. Custom stem builders.

To keep the price in check and acquire a vintage style stem, I would suggest checking Rivendell's site for a Nitto Dirt Drop, or Bens on the bay. If perfect fit is more important than price or vintage, go custom. If you want to hang out with the really cool people, plan on spending a year or two searching and dropping close to a half a grand for the whatever size is available when it finally comes up LD. I believe someone here on the forum sold a stylin Salsa P10 for a couple of bennies two weeks ago on the bay.

All the above is just my opinion and fun rambling. In all reality, owning an LD is not an invitation to hang out with the cool people. I am still here with the geeks.

Cheers,
T

·
Did I catch a niner+?
2,957 Posts
Thanks for the info Aemmer and style is not as important to me as a ok fit. I do have an adapter on their now to use a 1 1/8 stem but even a 130mm seems a bit cramped. The bike might be just too small.

It's a 15.5 I believe and I got it when I was 12 yrs old (NO RUST!)

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Drop Bar Monstercross

Excellent thread. The Phelan shots I haven't seen on the net ever (Rock Shox drop bar competition bike)

Thought I'd add a few modern monstercross, stemming from John Tomac's Yeti drop bar thrasher with the Tioga rear disc to Cunningham's aluminum swan neck drop bar to Singular UK's do-it-all. I remember seeing the Peregrine a few years ago and thought - WOW! - that's how a drop bar monstercross bike is done. It helps that the guy that runs singular knows how to dress up a bike, too! :cool: Almost pulled the trigger but had a jones' for aerospace titanium. Below are some shots from the collection I amassed from MTBR forums over the years, the Amaro ti is an instant classic, and the Japanese-boutique lugged steel fixie with front hub brake on 2.3 Exiwolf's got me good. Enjoi.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Nice.
I really like the idea of a monstercross bike. With the popularity of rigid 29ers, I'm surprised so many are going for the suspension corrected mtb 29er frames and fugly suspension corrected rigid forks, rather than a much more elegant monstercross setup.

61 - 80 of 710 Posts