Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this for for a few hundred bucks from Jenson and it just puts a smile on my face everytime I ride it - it's my "mail run" bike and it's a much better alternative to my 20" brakeless flatland/street BMX. Yet, I can still do street manuevers on it that I can't do on my MTB's or my road bikes (I bunnyhopped my road bike and I thought I was going to fold it in half). We all talk about single-speeds being so fun... this is another version with BMX style geometry.

The Eastern Element 26" has gotten some iffy reviews, most likely because people are trying to short-track or dirt jump it. There are better bikes for that stuff, but this is just the cat's meow when you use it within it's limitations and for urban it's perfect. Former BMX junkies would love this bike.

Grinds, high bunnyhops, manuals, peg wheelies, etc. It steers ultra fast and manuevers through town like a shark. Dirt kickers along the way, loading docks, stairs... it does it all.

Sometimes it's nice when something so simple can result in such big smiles. :D

Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle frame Wheel Bicycle wheel

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
That thing looks really cool. I've been thinking about buying something like that for a long time. And I could never bring myself to buy a 20". I live in town and have lots of places to ride street/urban stuff. I hate using my MTB because I never want to switch out the tires (DH UST - major pain).

Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
steiny said:
That thing looks really cool. I've been thinking about buying something like that for a long time. And I could never bring myself to buy a 20". I live in town and have lots of places to ride street/urban stuff. I hate using my MTB because I never want to switch out the tires (DH UST - major pain).

Thanks for posting.
For outright street or flatland sessions a 20" is ideal, but for actual riding around a 24" or 26" is much better. I also once had a Volume Sledgehammer which was cool. I like the Eastern much better, though.

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
stingray4540 said:
You didn't just have that bike at trailhead did you? If not, I was checking one out on the bike stand that looked just like it!
No - BUT ANOTHER GREAT THING - this bike is EASY to work on and works with BMX parts (which are very affordable in comparison to high end MTB/road parts).

I do all my wrenching, but I can strip and build my either this or my BMX in a few minutes. I'm actually upgrading my BMX bike right now and it's funny how simple it is compared to wrenching, say, a full suspension. :cool:

Eastern makes a few different, sweet urban destroyers like this. I just got it because it was cheap and easy. I almost pulled the trigger on a NightTrain but I do grinds and I didn't want to grind anywhere near a disc brake :eekster: . I also have been there before with a suspension fork on my Giant STP, and I don't like ny squish for urban.

Check out Anson Wellington on his Brooklyn :) Rigid and brakeless!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Simple is good! Nothing should ever be more complicated than the purpose for which it is intended. If you can ride it and it does what it is designed to do, then it's all good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.