Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
My wife wants to punch me in the face when I do this. She's a beginner, has maybe gone on 10 rides total. She doesn't like to follow anyone, even on new trails, because she says it's too much to focus on. So because of this, she gets to listen to my brakes squeal and free hub A LOT.

·
Get Down Do you
511 Posts
I am an overall midpack rider. I am fast going down but if taking your time on the ups was a sport I would have an olympic gold. I usually just chill and wait for them to pull over if not I give a nice "on your left" 99% of people move before I even get there and I always move out of the way when someone is behind especially on the ups.

·
Pogo Lover
162 Posts
Coworker and I did this to our manager at the time. Shop ride, we both had Carbon Giant XTC frames (2012's with massive downtubes) and Hope Pro4 hubs. He was between us and on a long descent we slowly back pedaled in unison. Drove him mental.

·
Registered
Trek E-Caliber 9.6
31 Posts
And people wonder why people hate cyclist.
I took this thread to be humor, not literal. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm wrong quite often.

Reactions: rigtenzin

·
Get Down Do you
511 Posts
My wife wants to punch me in the face when I do this. She's a beginner, has maybe gone on 10 rides total. She doesn't like to follow anyone, even on new trails, because she says it's too much to focus on. So because of this, she gets to listen to my brakes squeal and free hub A LOT.

My GF is the same way although she is fast she says hearing me Whizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz behind her makes her nervous and she says he likes to follow my lines. I told her this isn't moto3 but she doesn't seem to care and loves getting a tow. ;):)

·
Registered
Trek E-Caliber 9.6
31 Posts
Ugh, this is going to reveal just how timid I am.
I would prefer to follow because my husband, @Philpug, tends to give me advice when he follows me and watches me ride.
I don't mind getting tips or taking bike clinics but spouses and teaching don't work in our house.

·
Registered
Lone Wolf
2,561 Posts
I miss my fixed gear (broken frame). It was a silent assassin but scared the hell out of people when I had to pop skid behind them to scrub off speed because they were climbing in granny gear.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Coworker and I did this to our manager at the time. Shop ride, we both had Carbon Giant XTC frames (2012's with massive downtubes) and Hope Pro4 hubs. He was between us and on a long descent we slowly back pedaled in unison. Drove him mental.
Hehehe, Yep. The back pedal for extra passive agressiveness. Not only do you no need to pedal, you are so much faster that you have time to back pedal too....

I took this thread to be humor, not literal. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm wrong quite often.
Yep, its taking the piss out of our mates..... not randoms.

·
Cycologist
7,899 Posts
Ha! It takes no extra skill to ride a fixed gear vs a regular SS. Definitely nothing to brag about. That bike was just dead silent and used to spook people because they couldn't hear it coming.
Not going to agree with you, I have a fixed gear (CX geo) and I've ridden it a little on very simple beginner trails. Having to always pedal is a challenge when going over rough stuff and I wouldn't want to have to do it on a real trail!

Reactions: SingleSpeedSteven

·
Registered
Lone Wolf
2,561 Posts
Not going to agree with you, I have a fixed gear (CX geo) and I've ridden it a little on very simple beginner trails. Having to always pedal is a challenge when going over rough stuff and I wouldn't want to have to do it on a real trail!
If you set up a legit mountain bike fixed gear, I think you'd be surprised at how not difficult it is. It's a little awkward for a few minutes, but it really doesn't take any extra skills from a normal bike. You just move your body in slightly different ways over features and such.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Ugh, this is going to reveal just how timid I am.
I would prefer to follow because my husband, @Philpug, tends to give me advice when he follows me and watches me ride.
I don't mind getting tips or taking bike clinics but spouses and teaching don't work in our house.
Just start giving him advice in bed, followed by “oh, at least you tried honey”.
That should quickly resolve this issue ;)

·
Pro Crastinator
11,426 Posts
i pass them and then stop to take a piss. when they pass by, i let them see how big my wang is. that really shows them who is boss...

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
If someone knows I've caught up to them and tries to keep ahead, I don't ask to pass. I just let them keep going for it until they blow up. To be honest this doesn't happen that often because I'm not XC racer fit or anything.

·
Registered
Trek E-Caliber 9.6
31 Posts
Just start giving him advice in bed, followed by “oh, at least you tried honey”.
That should quickly resolve this issue ;)
😜 That made me laugh.

RE: your signature.... When I see missing cat pictures I text the number with this.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts