Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
Whats with BMX'er/street riders not wearing helmets??

Oh well... that guy is nuts! Some of the best stunts/skills I've seen been done on a bike EVER! I would like to see him and Ryan Leech ride together...

·
Registered
668 Posts
Un. Be. Lievable.

He rides that semicircle and I'm thiking, "Damn that looks fun", then he throws a 7 off the end. I scrape my jaw off my keyboard.

Too bad I'll never do things like that on a bike. Good thing they're just as fun to pedal in the woods, too.

·
Hisforever
1,851 Posts
Props Tappoix

Thanks for posting the unreal sickness.

Just sick.

That dude has great style, I especially like the lines he hits off the walls and the tranny airs on the big bowls.

Just imagine how much he has been thrashed honing down his skills.

need to watch that again!

·
Sponsored by Xanax
358 Posts
Wow, that was beautiful. Really, to see that guy ride, it was poetic. Something I think anyone (cyclist or not) would be awestruck to see.

It only emphasizes what an average rider I am, after years of going at it. My riding style is more like survival than art. Thank God there are guys out there that can do this stuff, it's such a joy to watch.

·
Registered
649 Posts
bike_freak said:
Whats with BMX'er/street riders not wearing helmets??

I always think the same thing!! :confused:
Guys like him could set an example for the grommets, like this guy!

However i have huge respect for Corey Martinez, he is an artist and genius on wheels!!! :)

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
mr plow said:
I always think the same thing!! :confused:
Guys like him could set an example for the grommets, like this guy!

However i have huge respect for Corey Martinez, he is an artist and genius on wheels!!! :)
I've seen that clip beofre.. but god damnit!

·
Registered
649 Posts
Yeah, it's kind of old but just a good example of 'SH*T, hitting my head really does hurt!!!!!' :D
And they always look kind of surprised, like saying 'hey, that wasn't meant to happen!!' :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Uhhh

When the vid started I thought, just another talented street rider. But as it played on I realized that that guy is a genius artist on wheels. I wanted the nano second cuts to be stretched out to see more of the pool and park scenes. I also realized that I should re-install my training wheels, in comparison to him I have barely learned to balance.

DT

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
turnerbikes said:
When the vid started I thought, just another talented street rider. But as it played on I realized that that guy is a genius artist on wheels. I wanted the nano second cuts to be stretched out to see more of the pool and park scenes. I also realized that I should re-install my training wheels, in comparison to him I have barely learned to balance.

DT
haha, that vid got posted a month ago on the DH board and it now lives on my desktop - that guy is one of the most talented people on a bike I've ever seen - it's like watching Cedric race - so fluid and in control - there is another vid on that site titled "Steven" that is every bit as amazing - kid drops off a parking structure over like 3 rails - on a rigid 20" bike!!! - something I wouldn't do on my VP Free or RFX and the kid's got no helmet or pads - so much confidence, so much skill - check that one out as well....

·
Motion activated
3,242 Posts
That man has incredible control over his momentum, just beautiful. Thanks for the link.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
The skill level is no doubt amazing. What I wonder is how many times he must have wrecked huge as he refined those moves. For every success there must be a couple hundred incremental attempts and improvements leading up to it, and a decent percentage of those must have ended in blood.

One development in mountain biking I really applaud is that armor has become fashionable. I mean even the lowliest xc geek can slap knee or elbow pads on and not be laughed off the trail. Somehow there has been a genuine trickle-down from the extreme FR fringe of the sport which has made full-face helmets and protective gear acceptable for anyone to wear. I think that's cool. My Giro Switchblade is the cheapest dental insurance I ever got.

I do feel a little sorry for the street/bmx kids who may think that anything which would help keep their brains inside their skulls is uncool. I had a friend as a kid who went over the bars on his BMX bike and broke his jaw. He had his jaw wired shut and enjoyed a liquid picnic for the next 6 weeks. Fock that.

·
Hisforever
1,851 Posts
exactly

Fock the liquid picnic.

We know for sure he is getting thrashed somewhat...

In one part of the video you can see his elbow and forarm has some nice road flavored beef jerky on it.

·
Waiting to exhale.
1,030 Posts
Fock a liquid picnic. Fock it.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
macrider said:
something I wouldn't do on my VP Free or RFX and the kid's got no helmet or pads - so much confidence, so much skill - check that one out as well....
Same phenomena with many of the extreme skiers in the Warren Miller videos - they're youth gives them a false sense of invincibility. I've seen them helicopter out the corpses during some of the shoots, unfortunately.

·
carpe mañana
7,293 Posts
I don't see the point in talking about corpses, casualties, how much blood it took for the guy to get to the skill level he is, etc., and I am sure it was a lot. This is taking away from the enjoyment of videos like these and the admiration of riders of such monumental skill level, fearlessness and love for the ride.

_MK

·
FleshwoundGravityResearch
1,285 Posts
tscheezy said:
The skill level is no doubt amazing. What I wonder is how many times he must have wrecked huge as he refined those moves. For every success there must be a couple hundred incremental attempts and improvements leading up to it, and a decent percentage of those must have ended in blood.

One development in mountain biking I really applaud is that armor has become fashionable. I mean even the lowliest xc geek can slap knee or elbow pads on and not be laughed off the trail. Somehow there has been a genuine trickle-down from the extreme FR fringe of the sport which has made full-face helmets and protective gear acceptable for anyone to wear. I think that's cool. My Giro Switchblade is the cheapest dental insurance I ever got.

I do feel a little sorry for the street/bmx kids who may think that anything which would help keep their brains inside their skulls is uncool. I had a friend as a kid who went over the bars on his BMX bike and broke his jaw. He had his jaw wired shut and enjoyed a liquid picnic for the next 6 weeks. Fock that.
Really? I feel very odd wearing armor, almost like I'm expected to do some really sick moves that I am just not capable of. I fell like an even bigger hack wearing armor even though it probably could have saved me at least 2 trips to the hospital in the last 3 years, but who plans on stacking it?

During XC-races you never see anyone wearing pads of any kind and I only know of one guy who wears a full-face. These races aren't all like the norba smooth trail races either. And if there's any place you might want armor, it's when you are going full on at the edge of your physical and mental limits. I think there are a few reasons you don't see the armor. First, you never go into a race thinking you are going to eat sht. Second, armor is hot. Summer, racing and armor don't mix well. And maybe the biggest is the looks you would get from the other racers.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
I don't wear (usually need) armor here at home, but I wore it on a lot of rides in Utah and never felt out of place for an instant. The most feedback I got from other people was "wow, now that is a good idea. Where do I buy some?"

If you feel like you have to pull some sick move when you put knee pads on, that is probably coming from you and not from other people's expectations. We got Barny all armored-up and it improved her riding a lot, but she was always basically xc.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts