Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
long standing member
3,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Oh, yeah. After months of reading, researching, comparing specs, agonizing (not really) over the "on-paper performance" of a bunch of high-end frames, a near-perfect situation presented itself. That's right, I bought the 2002 RFX that defconfour was selling. Man, am I stoked. I drove 4.5 hours each way from PA to NJ today to pick it up. (I think he thought I was a little nuts ;) ).

Anyway, it rides real nice, I think the bushings need to be replaced because I was experiencing a little "stiction" in the rear...oh, wait, it's not even built up yet and the frame is sitting naked on my couch right now. :D I just wanted to try and sound technical about my new ride. :p I know, it didn't work.

Speaking of which, the obligatory pic (I know you've all seen this frame already, but this time it's on my sofa):

In case you're wondering, I feel good about my status as a snob and poser. Well, actually, does purchasing used disqualify me from snob status? I can certainly be a poser, since the damn thing isn't built up yet and won't be for months (at least). Yeah, I'm afraid this is going to be a Crazy Fred-esque build time. For budgetary reasons. So I'll be asking lots of questions about what components to build it up with over the next few months, I'm sure.

Thanks to the homers I pm'd who answered my questions about the frame and gave me valuble input. This forum (and specifically the people who participate) really is a valuable resource, and not just a place that the guys come to josh around on the internet. I think it's sometimes easy to forget that when threads start to turn south with flames and trolls.

The frame came with a Fox Vanilla RC, King Steelset headset and both 5" and 6" rockers. On my bathroom scale it came in at 9lbs with the King Steelset, SP clamp, 6" rockers and old school tire tube chainstay guard.

My plan is to run it in 5" mode to take advantage of the lower leverage ratio. Some of you may remember that I asked a bunch of questions about the RFX and it's ability to handle a larger rider (I'm pushing 265lbs). Based on the responses I figured the current 6" model RFX was out of the question, and I was kind of bummed. The 5 Pack was still on the list, but to be honest I was a little concerned about the strength of the Spot rear, it's ability to handle a larger rotor, etc.

I was also looking a the Ventana X-5 because it's a strong (and well-liked) frame and available with a heavy duty swingarm and 5" or 6" rockers. The Titus Motolite and Supermoto were under consideration, as well. I was also (very) interested in the Knolly Delerium T (well...who here isn't ;) ), but the price of the frame seemed to put it out of my budget in the near or distant future. An older model year RFX seemed to be the perfect solution (with 5" rockers) because they were so overbuilt, but I knew my chances of coming across a used on for sale were small. Well, lucky me, I guess.

So, I'm sorry to say I'll be sticking around this forum because now I actually have a reason to be here. :p :D Pass the Kool-aid.

Patrick

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
4.5 hrs from SC to NJ? In what the Batmobile???

Congrats. You get bonus poseur snob points for buying an origional RFX which is the burly mans version...the real deal... the I'll whup yer arse just cause I feels like it version... and getting it in "Crazy Fred" white seals the deal.

BTW don't get rid of the 6" rockers, I'm sure you can run them no problem... "Cyberjay" was close to 300lbs and from what I've read he did some scary arsed stuff...in fact DT stepped-up the classic RFX design every time he broke something.

Oh yeah, the Kool-Aid is in the corner...grab a mug.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Sweet Patrick! I remember all those questions, and Ive been there! Congrats with the new frame, 2002 RFX's are as sweet as the 2002 Paiste cymbals that are highly regarded as some of the best you can buy!
How ya gonna build her?

·
long standing member
3,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cactuscorn said:
ya did get the lower and upper races, right?
I think so. I don't know anything about headsets and their different parts.

There are two "pieces" that are pressed onto the top and bottom of the HT. Then there are a couple of other pieces: the "one that goes on the fork" and the "top cap". Whatever those are called. Man, am I an ignoramus or what? And I've got no excuse b/c I have a copy of the Zinn book and I can just look this stuff up.

So do I have what I need? If you want I can take a pic of what I have and post it.

Patrick

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
no need. sounds like yer covered pal. the race is the part the bearing rolls on. the cup houses the bearing. put the 3 together, multiply by 2 and basically ya have a headset.

·
long standing member
3,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
drumstix said:
How ya gonna build her?
OK, you want the dream build or the realistic build. OK, I'll give you the realistic build.

Turner 2002 RFX Frame, Medium, 5" rockers
Vanilla RC rear shock - probably gonna get it Pushed
Fork choice is way up in the air. Probably a 2005 or 2006 model on closeout, or something used. If I go with a 150mm travel fork it has to have travel reduction for climbing. The list includes (in no particular order):
  • RS Pike coil
  • Fox 36 Talas
  • Marz Z1 Light
  • Marz AM 1 or 2
  • Marz 66 Light (150mm version)
  • RS Lyrik
Chris King Steelset headset
Race Face/Easton/Truvativ Stem and Handlebar - whatever is strong and cheap
WTB Rocket V saddle
Race Face/Easton/Truvativ Post - whatever is strong and cheap
or
Gravitydropper - I might splurge for this
Avid BB7 Brakes with Speed dial levers - 8" F and 8" or 7" rear (whichever fits)
XT F&R derailleurs
LX shifters
Some grips (lock-on)
Saint or Hone Cranks 22/32/BG - prefer Saints, depends on price
E13 DRS chainguide and bash guard
Salsa Gordo rims, 36h laced to...
Hope hubs with DT spokes
WTB Motoraptors 2.4 F&R (or similar)
Time Z pedals

Did I miss anything?

Let me know what you think.

Patrick

·
long standing member
3,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
kelly1 said:
Congats Ive had mine 6 years ,great bike very versatile.
Nice, I like to hear about the longevity. I hope to get many years of service from this frame. Jarett at Turner indicated that this frame was pretty strong and durable. Something along the lines of, "that frame will not break."

kelly1 said:
Don't listen to Bikezilla ,those 6" rockers are awful how's $50 sound ?Take a cheque?
LOL. Yeah, I'm gonna hang onto them for while, see how my riding develops, if I'll actually need 6" in the rear. Ouch, there's that pun again :eek: . Bikezilla knows what I'm talking about.

Patrick

·
long standing member
3,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
rroeder said:
Very nice PC, I like the painted rear with the white triangle.
Yeah, all along I've liked the polished swingarms on the Turners. But now that I've got the black rear I'm digging it. Maybe because it's mine. :D

I'm thinking an all-black Marzocchi fork would look awesome. The white front triangle sandwiched between the black fork and black swingarm. Hmmm. :idea:

Patrick

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
That thing is gorgeous. You're going to love it!

maybe a 66 SL would be a good fork for you- adjustable between 5-7" with air pressure, stiff, and ETA. Hmm, ask EO and see what he thinks, he's got one on his VPF and is a bigger guy. Seems to like it. I can vouch that the geometry is perfect at full travel with 6" rockers. Add some air to the negative spring to lower the front when using the 5" rockers and you're stoked. Swapping forks does get old.

cheers....

·
long standing member
3,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
FM said:
That thing is gorgeous. You're going to love it!

maybe a 66 SL would be a good fork for you- adjustable between 5-7" with air pressure, stiff, and ETA. Hmm, ask EO and see what he thinks, he's got one on his VPF and is a bigger guy. Seems to like it. I can vouch that the geometry is perfect at full travel with 6" rockers. Add some air to the negative spring to lower the front when using the 5" rockers and you're stoked. Swapping forks does get old.

cheers....

That may be too slack for a lot of the riding that I do. I'm thinking that I want to be able to get that HA close to 69* for climbing. Ideally an on-the-fly adjustable fork that will give me ~68 to 69* would be perfect. That means something with ETA, U-turn or Talas. The 66sl would be pretty tall on the front with 5" rear. I'd probably be looking at ~66 or 67* HA.

Although, I may want a slacker HA for the more DH type stuff. Then the 66 would be perfect. Dilemma. That's alright, I gots time to figure it out because I ain't got no money for parts anyway. ;)

I agree about the swapping forks thing. I think that I would rather have something versatile enough to handle all of my riding. And it seems there are more and more choices out there every year. That's a good thing.

Patrick

·
long standing member
3,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bikezilla said:
4.5 hrs from SC to NJ? In what the Batmobile???
I live in State College, Pennsylvania, not in the state of South Carolina. I did speed quite a bit, though, if that makes you feel better. ;)

Bikezilla said:
Congrats. You get bonus poseur snob points for buying an origional RFX which is the burly mans version...the real deal... the I'll whup yer arse just cause I feels like it version... and getting it in "Crazy Fred" white seals the deal.
Burly...does that have anything to do with the stuff hanging off my gut? ;)

Yeah, this thing is definitely the definition of burly. I actually like the fact that it's heavy. No breaky is good.

Although I don't want Crazy Fred thinking I'm trying to copy him. He might get pissed and then I'd really be in trouble. He'll go hucking off a roof onto my head or something crazy like that.

Bikezilla said:
BTW don't get rid of the 6" rockers, I'm sure you can run them no problem... "Cyberjay" was close to 300lbs and from what I've read he did some scary arsed stuff...in fact DT stepped-up the classic RFX design every time he broke something.
Well, I'm not too much of a daredevil. But I guess if I break this frame I'll just have to upgrade to the Highline. :eek:

Patrick

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
PCinSC said:
Oh, yeah. After months of reading, researching, comparing specs, agonizing (not really) over the "on-paper performance" of a bunch of high-end frames, a near-perfect situation presented itself.
nice bike Pat. you did good.:) i think that will be a great fit for you.

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
PCinSC said:
That may be too slack for a lot of the riding that I do. I'm thinking that I want to be able to get that HA close to 69* for climbing. Ideally an on-the-fly adjustable fork that will give me ~68 to 69* would be perfect. That means something with ETA, U-turn or Talas. The 66sl would be pretty tall on the front with 5" rear. I'd probably be looking at ~66 or 67* HA.
Patrick
The 170mm 66's are about 550mm a2c ifirc. If you can reduce travel to 5" by increasing the negative air sping, thats a 50mm reduction which takes you down to 500mm, same as a vanilla 130. So that would be plenty steep- too steep imho. with 5" rockers, adjusting the fork to 140mm should get you really nice geometry. Even at 150mm travel (525 a2c) it should feel great with 5" rockers- thats only 7mm taller than the '04 z1 I liked so much with my 5" rockers. Plus you'd have ETA. I am not sure how much you can reduce the travel on the 66 sl though- maybe one of the homerz can help here.

I have a marzocchi AM SL on my motolite, it's adjustable 130-150mm travel. I have it set up with 140mm of exposed stanchion, which gets me the perfect head angle imho. increasing the negative air sping not only reduces travel, it also increases plushness by making the spring curve more linear. Pretty cool.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.