Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So my 2001/2002 Mongoose Solution full-suspension with 26" wheels that I got for $250 new from Sports Authority is pretty much done. I have had to straighten the poor excuse for rims more times than I can count. The Judy TT fork is total mush and the rear derailleur (Alivio) needs to be replaced. Nothing wrong with the frame or rear suspension and I am okay with the v-brakes. The cost of rebuilding the bike with quality components will come out to ~$600-$1k. I haven't found any used parts either. So I'll keep it as a project bike for down the road or for one of my kids.

So, a new bike it is and I'm trying to stick to a budget of $700 for a decent 29er or 27.5 hardtail, which is not easy to find. It will be used for a variety of tasks: XC and trail riding, bike paths, and pulling the kids in a Burley. By nature, I like to ride fairly aggressive and be in the woods going through dirt and rocks but I am sure to see paved riding too. Currently I'm looking at:

Airborne Guardian 2.0 (the Seeker and Goblin are super tempting)
Cannondale Trail 5, 6, or 7
Specialized Hardrock Disc or Sport Disc
Trek X-Caliber 5, 6, or 7

I would love to hear from people who have experience with Airborne. I don't know much about them but the price to component value is hard to beat and that is the direction that I'm leaning towards.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I personally own a Goblin, and just ordered a Guardian for my wife. She is trying to be patient and wait for it but is way too excited. I was a little worried about buying a bike online the first time. I had about 3 calls into the guys at Airborne before I bought my Goblin. They helped me choose the right size bike. The assembly took about 30 mins, and I was finished and out riding. I have put 40 miles on it in the last week of owning it. The shifting and breaks have been great. I just had to do a small adjustment to front rotor and that was it. I would have no problem recommending an Airborne bike. Great Bike from a great company and top notch customer service.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response. After reading (a lot) about Airborne, I going to pull the trigger on a Guardian 2.0. The Seeker is very tempting but the Guardian will be plenty of bike for me to hit the trails.

Now I'm off to order!

·
Registered
117 Posts
You will be happy with any of the bikes that they offer. I ordered yesterday for my wife, hoping it comes by this weekend. Mine took 7 days but that was because of the weekend. It took 5 business days from order to doorstep.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ordered an 18" Guardian last night in white. I'm stoked. Probably going with Nukeproof Electron pedals, also white.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts