Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Heads up Flyboy!!
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Every Fall I usually plan a trip somewhere in the mountains for 4-5 days of riding. This year things fell apart mostly due to me being out of work for 6 weeks for short term disability.

I only had a solid day of riding due to Dad duty and sometimes you do what you have to do if you want the mountains. I formed a plan. One of Crested Butte and a Deadman's, Reno, Flag, Bear, Doctor's loop. Basic idea was to drive up Friday after work, ride Saturday and drive back early Sunday morning.

Then Folds in Half directed me to a link. Scarp's Ridge to the ****

There was something missing in that route though. I mean it finished on Kebler Pass Road back into the Butte and that surely would not do.

I needed something more .....

Then I found Carbon Trail to Green Lake. Man, that looks like the ticket. I talked to Slow who was joining me for the trip about the route and we had a winner.

We had originally planned on driving up and finding a camp spot in the dark. Then we started thinking and got a bunk at the Crested Butte Hostel. Such a cool place.

Saturday began with a easy climb out of town on the Upper Lower Loop and Bud Trails

P1090084

P1090090

P1090089

P1090091

and then the real climbing began....all the way to Gun Sight Pass

P1090096

P1090097

P1090102

P1090111

Looking down on what we just climbed

P1090115

and then we climbed just a bit more

P1090116

to reach the high point for the day..."Who makes that gas tank on your top tube Goat", you ask...."JPAKS", I'll answer...today it was filled with Beef Jerky, Gummy Fruit Snacks and a Crested Butte Map....shameless plug for local good guy and friend, HomeGrownMN

P1090117

Then it was ridge riding at its best...tons of exposure on the right but the riding itself was pretty tame and unremarkable. What was remarkable was the scenery and being up high

P1090120

P1090122

P1090126

P1090128

P1090131

P1090132

P1090142

P1090140

and then it was a gnarly, seemingly abandoned singletrack back down to just over 10,000 ft at Lake Irwin

P1090143

P1090144

and then we were back to the popular and the familiar...The **** Trail...tons of riders out there on this fine fall day

P1090146

P1090151

P1090152

P1090153

P1090157

At the bottom of the ****, I checked my water and noticed I had gone through almost 4 liters already. So we headed across the road and at the bottom of a beaver pond, we filtered water.

P1090159

Then it was climb up Kebler Pass and eventually over Ohio Pass to the Carbon Trail

P1090166

P1090168

P1090172

It was here we found pain...lots of hike a bike...but there was a bit of good riding and awesome scenery

P1090174

P1090175

P1090181

Finally, the last hike a bike that broke our spirits is done. We descended a chunky bit of singletrack that reminds me of Sourdough and stop at the Green Lake Trail. We're both cooked. Physically and mentally spent. So much so that I drop my bike, lay down, and don't know whether to laugh, cry or sleep...Then I remember that Green Lake is supposed to be good, I mean really good single track.

I ask Slow if he's ok with me bombing it with reckless abandon. Did I mention he was riding a ridid singlespeed? He tells me to hit it. And I did. Weeeeeeeeee!!!

P1090184

A final plug to the day...We stopped in the Brick Oven Pizza after quick Showers at the Crested Butte Hostel. Weaving our way through folks celebrating Vinotok, the Autumn Equinox Festival. We had decided earlier that we were driving home that night. The drive was firmed up by the fact I had sick children at home. Almost 4 hours later and just before 1am, I am crawling into bed next to my slumbering wife.

Man, what a good day!

·
Not-quite-geezer RVer
243 Posts
Super duper meh!

Man, what a great weekend... Not only did I get in a couple of fine rides myself, but you two went out and rode a beastmaster dream ride on my behalf. :thumbsup: (still can't believe you actually took the bait on that!).

Bobby rocking that loop on the rigid SS is truly nutz. Love it! Thanks a lot for the awesome pics and recap. Is there a Strava prize for fastest ride report posting? ;)

Oh, and we should give a shout out to cbmtbr for his epic CB website that inspired this bit of madness. Packed with so many great ideas for obscure rides--muchas garcias for sharing with everybody. I bet Jeremy and posse will be back for a few more of those...

Cheers,
Carey

·
old skool newbie
857 Posts
Way to go Slow.
It's hard to capture the steepness and the first hike a bike picture seemed a little flat, but then the photos of MGE carrying his bike and the gunsight shot made your point. And the air money shot at the end - shweet!
Best post up in a while.

·
Heads up Flyboy!!
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Way to go Slow.
It's hard to capture the steepness and the first hike a bike picture seemed a little flat, but then the photos of MGE carrying his bike and the gunsight shot made your point. And the air money shot at the end - shweet!
Best post up in a while.
Slow was a rockstar for sure. I really started feeling bad for him when we reached the top of Para and the descent was even beating me up on the full suspension. It wasn't really that bad but after the miles we had already put in, rolling down loose babyheads was putting a beating on my body.

That climb up Gunsight is pretty good until a little over 11,500 or so. There, the road became loose powder with loose rocks. I've climbed steeper but the combination of that powder and rocks made it damn near impossible to get going without spinning out so hike a bike it was.

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,461 Posts
Slow was a rockstar for sure. I really started feeling bad for him when we reached the top of Para and the descent was even beating me up on the full suspension. It wasn't really that bad but after the miles we had already put in, rolling down loose babyheads was putting a beating on my body.

That climb up Gunsight is pretty good until a little over 11,500 or so. There, the road became loose powder with loose rocks. I've climbed steeper but the combination of that powder and rocks made it damn near impossible to get going without spinning out so hike a bike it was.
Heh - that Gunsight climb apparently hasn't changed much in 15 years. :D

·
Heads up Flyboy!!
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That's out of my league for a day ride, but a guy can still dream :thumbsup:
Bro, I gotta tell ya. I'm just a weekend warrior who likes long adventures that pushes the body and spirit. I'm downright positive there are others who post here who could ride this loop in half the time that we did.

The trick though is...to be willing to suffer and to smile even when your body feels done. That'll get you through most of it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.