Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
501 - 520 of 6464 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Fargo L and XL owners?

Hi! Can anybody take a measurement from head and top tube crossing point to ground in Fargo L or XL? Please tell your tire size too. (A photo of the side profil would be nice too, and your body dimensions.)

·
Enjoyin' life....
293 Posts
Yeah, a sizing question...

Some things are working out with my job and finances and as such I might just be able to join the Fargo club. I've been jonesin' for one and have had some email chatter with Gnat and read GT's and others posts. I know I want the Fargo but my question is which one. This would be easily answered if I had a stocking dealer locally but I don't. The one dealer near me doesn't have any. I might wind up ordering one from an online source if I have to. i'd love for the size to be right, heh.

My bicycling measured inseam is 34" per the book in the crotch, in bike shoes, against the wall suggested method. This is about 1 to 2 " shorter than whats considered my clothing inseam depending on who's measuring and for what clothing. I'm 6'1" tall, have average reach and torso, weigh around 225 or 230 on my way to 205/210 over winter. I ride a 56/58cm road bike and 17-18 inch mountain bike. I know for the Fargo I'm either a M (18") or an L(20") but in pics that top tube looks awfully sloping, so anyone think I'd have a problem with the L?

I'm always checking with the bike shop so maybe something will someday show up there but I wouldn't mind hearing from a few owners. Thanks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I didn't have a salsa dealer near me either (FL) - I spoke to my LBS and they were able to order and build with no problem. I would guess as long as your LBS orders from QBP (and they probably do) there won't be a problem. The fargo was an attention grabber at the shop too - something very different than what they were used to.

As for sizing - I'm 6'3 - 32 inch inseam. I was on the fence between XL and XXL and went with the larger size. VERY happy that I did. With all factors in mind if you're on the fence between sizes I'd say go larger. I was concerned about the slope on the top tube too, but on mine it isn't nearly as bad. I'd guessing the bike on the website is a smaller size and the slope looks exaggerated.

·
Enjoyin' life....
293 Posts
Cool. Thanks for the info. I brought the subject up with one shop very nearby and he wasn't too keen on ordering...but he;s like that. Which is why I don't go there much.

I can have the Salsa dealer order it, but the sizing is still an issue. I'll talk to them again...when I was in last week they really didn't seem to up to speed on anything. Nice guys but they were clearly focused elsewhere.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #505 ·
Ocho said:
Cool. Thanks for the info. I brought the subject up with one shop very nearby and he wasn't too keen on ordering...but he;s like that. Which is why I don't go there much.

I can have the Salsa dealer order it, but the sizing is still an issue. I'll talk to them again...when I was in last week they really didn't seem to up to speed on anything. Nice guys but they were clearly focused elsewhere.
Ocho, your "cycling inseam" height, and weight are all identical to mine. I went with a large and I couldn't possibly find a nit to pick with that size for me. Spot on, almost as if it were custom made.

I seriously would recommend the Large.

Hope to see some Fargo pics from you soon!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Fargo Sizing

Ocho:

We are close to the same size and weight. I ride the L with H-bars and feel it fits me like a glove. I had even considered the XL, but it's funny how the Fargo sizing works...the Medium and Large actually have a slightly longer wheelbase than the XL (because the head tube angle is more relaxed on the M & L). The Large has a more relaxed seat tube angle than the M, if that makes a difference to you.

Hope that helps.

BB

·
Enjoyin' life....
293 Posts
You guys rock. I should have been on this forum a long time ago...its about the only one I've encountered worth following.

I will post pics just as soon as I take delivery. The Fargo will mesh well with my Rockhopper 29, Scott CX Team, and 26" GT "snow" bike. Next up, a Blackbuck if there any left (there were a few a month ago). I'm merely waiting on hearing back from my new prospective employer with a Jan 04 start date and the money flows to the dealer!

Here in the midwest, outside Chicago, its not the best day to be riding or I'd take my GT out for a spin.

Thanks again guys!

-------------------------------
Wally

·
Ballstein Models
345 Posts
Just to add to the chorus, our measurements are very very close in all respects. I too have a L Fargeaux. Size is perfect. I chose a 90mm +10° stem and on one midge bars and an eriksen layback ti seatpost.. Up here in Madison I just got done shoveling 18 inches of snow off the driveway. I might take her out for a snow ride before the temps drop below zero.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ocho said:
Some things are working out with my job and finances and as such I might just be able to join the Fargo club. I've been jonesin' for one and have had some email chatter with Gnat and read GT's and others posts. I know I want the Fargo but my question is which one. This would be easily answered if I had a stocking dealer locally but I don't. The one dealer near me doesn't have any. I might wind up ordering one from an online source if I have to. i'd love for the size to be right, heh.

My bicycling measured inseam is 34" per the book in the crotch, in bike shoes, against the wall suggested method. This is about 1 to 2 " shorter than whats considered my clothing inseam depending on who's measuring and for what clothing. I'm 6'1" tall, have average reach and torso, weigh around 225 or 230 on my way to 205/210 over winter. I ride a 56/58cm road bike and 17-18 inch mountain bike. I know for the Fargo I'm either a M (18") or an L(20") but in pics that top tube looks awfully sloping, so anyone think I'd have a problem with the L?

I'm always checking with the bike shop so maybe something will someday show up there but I wouldn't mind hearing from a few owners. Thanks.
Hello! I have my Fargo now and I am confused about fitting. I have about same dimensions than you, 184/89cm (6'1/2'' 35''). My L doesn't seems good. It have extraordinary short effective top tube. Look carefully dimensions how angles varies between different sizes. Low seat tube angle mean shorter frame because your saddle setback must be correct. My saddle setback is between 6-4,5cm (about 2'').

Here is a picture where is one dimension named reach. Reach tell much more about frame size. It's a pity that it is not common dimension what manufacturer tell us.

There is more that make Salsa shorter frame too: a low head tube ancle. Especially if you have a need to rise a stem.

With my saddle height, I can't adjust Fargo L handlebar as high as I want. I must put it lower than my saddle.

Look carefully dimensions between different sizes. See how angles vary, and how bigger is less sloped (how seat tube lenght and head tube lenght growing). I would easily fit XXL. :eek:

I try to make some photos tomorrow. That way you all can understand me better. And maybe I shall hear some thought why is so common here to choose so little sized frames.

My background is in road riding, starting early 80's, and I wanna see Fargo as a touring bike. It have quite a much same geometry than Surly LHT.

My post from page 5. I hope you read it too. It is important for my message. https://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?p=6370636&postcount=97

thanks, regards, Kimmo from Finland

·
Registered
39 Posts
Fitting Fargo

Here we go. ;)

Idea for my personal fitting with Fargo, is to get my lower hold to the same point where my upper hold have been. In other words, trying to rise a handlebar as much its height is. I compare to my road fitting where saddle (tip) - handbar (c) 53cm.

Saddle setback 51mm. (2'')
Saddle height 80cm to the BB. (31,5'')
Stem lenght is 90mm (3,54'')

First impression. So tiny frame! Very much too short Saddle-handbar distance

BB's are in same place. Saddle setback is same. Saddle (tip) - handbar (c) 46cm. Different 7cm to Crescent!

There is about XXL: 10cm longer seat tube, 3cm longer head tube, 1 degree more head angle and 2,5cm longer top tube.

Still XXL. Saddle (tip) - handbar (c) 49,5cm. Yes! I could live with that. The stem is now only 90mm, but with longer... yes! :)

Back to my L reality. This is the way I have some possibilities get the fit. Bars down, as usual.. :mad: Saddle (tip) - handbar (c) 48,5cm

https://www.salsacycles.com/fargoComp09.html

How they can name it Large. :rolleyes: Fitting with L is near to 56cm traditional road sizes (22''), and with XXL perhaps only 58cm (22,8'')

Look my earlier postings for more information. Thanks, regards, Kimmo

ps. as you see, I am waiting wheels for Fargo. Those are from old touring bike with 30mm tires.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #511 ·
Well, I had absolutely zero problem dialing in my fit with a Large Fargo.

Saddle to handlebar distance- exactly the same as all my Large sized mountain bikes at 28 inches.

Ground to handle bar grip area, same as most of my mountain bikes at 41 inches.

Saddle top to BB center, same as every bike I own at 31 inches.

I would say it is a Large indeed. :)

Good luck dialing in your fit, I sincerely hope you get what you are looking for.

mirrored said:
Here we go. ;)

Idea for my personal fitting with Fargo, is to get my lower hold to the same point where my upper hold have been. In other words, trying to rise a handlebar as much its height is. I compare to my road fitting where saddle (tip) - handbar (c) 53cm.

Saddle setback 51mm. (2'')
Saddle height 80cm to the BB. (31,5'')
Stem lenght is 90mm (3,54'')

First impression. So tiny frame! Very much too short saddle-handbar distance

BB's are in same place. Saddle setback is same. Saddle (tip) - handbar (c) 46cm. Different 7cm to Crescent!

There is about XXL: 10cm longer seat tube, 3cm longer head tube, 1 degree more head angle and 2,5cm longer top tube.

XXL still. saddle (tip) - handbar (c) 49,5cm. Yes! I could live with that. The stem is now 90mm.

Back to my L reality. This is the only way I have some possibilities get the fit. saddle (tip) - handbar (c) 48,5cm

https://www.salsacycles.com/fargoComp09.html

How they can name it Large. :rolleyes: Fitting with L is near to 56cm traditional road sizes (22''), and XXL hardly 59cm (22,8'')

Look my earlier postings for more information. Thanks, regards, Kimmo

ps. as you see, I am waiting wheels for Fargo. Those are from old touring bike with 30mm tires.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Ocho said:
My bicycling measured inseam is 34" per the book in the crotch,.... I'm 6'1" tall, have average reach and torso, .
Your a bit bigger than me (i'm 5'11 with 32 inseam).

I ride a Large Fargo with a reduced stem of 90mm and the fit is perfect so I guess for you a large would be just right.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Here is my post before I got the frame.

mirrored said:
I have done measurements with my road bike (Crescent 58cm top tube, 58 cm seat tube c-c). I use a brush stem fixed by tape to show where the top tube of Fargo would be plased with different frame sizes. I pay attention the head tube angle and my conclusion was I have bought one size too little frame. :rolleyes:

Handlebar comes too near to saddle when rising it good level - or I can see with XL size it is not too long distance. I want adjust Fargo road bar so up, that lower hold is similar level than upper in my old road bike. With XL I don't need so much spacers for rising the handlebars too.

I have not yet Fargo frame here, but it is very near. I will get it tomorrow or next day to that. Then I am sure about fitting. I suppose very strongly, I need to sell L and buy XL. I accentuate best touring acting in contrat to nimble MTB, therefore want a pretty big frame.

There is something about fitting. http://www.rivbike.com/article/bike_fit/choosing_a_frame_size

Look Competitive Cyclist too and their writings about different fittings. "French fit" is near to touring fit. There is a calculator too.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=FIT_CALCULATOR_INTRO
Read "The traditions of road riding and our three styles of fit"
See: if you go to MTB area there, you can find same calculator but different findings. (all mountain fit)
And here is my body measurements and some Competitive Cyclist calculations.

Measurements
-------------------------------------------
Inseam: 89
Trunk: 66
Forearm: 36
Arm: 61
Thigh: 58
Lower Leg: 58
Sternal Notch: 153
Total Body Height: 184

The French Fit (cm)
-------------------------------------------
Seat tube range c-c: 60.6 - 61.1
Seat tube range c-t: 62.3 - 62.8
Top tube length: 57.5 - 57.9
Stem Length: 10.3 - 10.9
Saddle-Handlebar: 56.3 - 56.9
Saddle Setback: 5.0 - 5.4

All Mountain Fit (you can get this one when go first MTB pages and fill body measurements again)
-----------------
Standover Height Range: 33.2 - 33.9 inches
Virtual Top Tube: 23.5 - 23.9 inches
Stem Length: 7.7 - 10.1 cm
BB-Saddle Position: 77.9 - 83.9 cm
Saddle-Handlebar: 52.9 - 54.7 cm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here Wrench Science. Overal reach is here little different term: simply top tube + stem.

WS Recommended Sizes
Frame Size center-to-center: 58 cm
Frame Size center-to-top: 60 cm
Overall Reach: 66.50 cm
Saddle Height: 78.59 cm
Handlebar Width: 42 cm

wrench science

Your Measurements
Height: 184.00 cm
Sternum Notch: 153.00 cm
Inseam Length: 89.00 cm
Arm Length: 61.00 cm
Shoulder Width: 42.00 cm
Flexiblity: 6
Weight: 70.00 kilo
Foot Size: 43.00 EURO

·
Registered
39 Posts
Guitar Ted said:
Good luck dialing in your fit, I sincerely hope you get what you are looking for.
Thanks.
I can't form a good picture because your style to measure. What is your stem lenght and bar type?

"Saddle to handlebar distance- exactly the same as all my Large sized mountain bikes at 28 inches."

That seems impossible. 28'' is 71cm. It is 7,1'' more than in my Crescent. I take measure from saddle tip direct to the handlebar middle (c) - it is the shortest way to bars, but center to bars tube.
(Or not impossible, but must measured somewhere...)

"Ground to handle bar grip area, same as most of my mountain bikes at 41 inches."

In my Crescent the level where stem is gripping to the bar, or the level of the road bar uppest is 38,6''

edit. I know I can get L fit to me, but my purpose was not medium size (actually 56cm) frame which L is. And the handbar height what I was planned was nothing more than a height I wanna try. It's possible that final height is not as much. But, summa summarum: I can see that even XXL size can fit me fine. Why not it then. :cool:

There is a quite wild looking monster. (For example on high drop bar thema. Other way it is much different.) http://63xc.com/willm/monster.htm

·
Registered
39 Posts
hogprint said:
Perhaps this is getting a bit OCD?
You can be quiet too if nothing more to say. ;)

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)

Edit. Sorry! I simply feel so misled with my frame size. And I am angry for me because forgot the effect of the low tube angles before buying my frame. With my saddle height, only the seat tube angle along have a effect which reduce HTT 25mm (1'') and Fargos 585mm is comparable to 560mm in my road bike.

I must send my message properly, because I haven't had success to find here any postings about this reach issue which is compared to frame angles when I was looking for sizing info.

"I went on a nice long (50+ mile) ride on the Fargo this last fall. I have owned a medium Mamasita, large Mamasita and a medium El Mar. I should add that I am 5'10" with a 32 inch inseam. I rode a large Fargo. I was pretty comfortable on it."
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=448977&page=3&highlight=fargo+sizing

-------------------------------------

Here is better named thread for Fargo fitting: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=6395796#post6395796 There is a short story on my findings too and it is crosslinked here. Good place to post sizing thema for everyone!

·
Klydesdale
305 Posts
The choice I had for Fargo frame size was XXL or nothing. So I did quick sketch of the Fargo geometry and compared it to the fit of the road and mountain bikes on which I'm most comfortable. Confirming that I could get the proper saddle-to-BB setup was a no-brainer. From there I used the ETT, HT dimensions, fork steerer length and possible stem/handlebars combos to comfirm that I would be able to my hand location in an optimal area with plenty of leeway for adjustments.

After installing the headset, wheels, fork stem and an old road handlebar I had laying around on my XXL frame last night, I'm very excited about the fit of this bike. Even with old, narrow bars on the bike, I'm in a more comfortable position in the drops than with any drop-bar bike I've ever ridden. The 46 cm Woodchipper I have on order should work out perfectly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Eccentric Bottom Bracket Please

I second this. The El Mariachi has too long a top tube and no support for racks. An EBB Fargo would be perfect.

Sometimes said:
Any chance the Fargo will ever be offered with an EBB?

I really, really like the frameset but really, really :) want an EBB for an IGH.

I've actually been considering an El Mariachi frameset (bidding on one on eBay right this moment) but I chanced upon the Fargo frameset & it really, really appeals to me. Only the lack of an EBB prevents me from buying it right this moment. Oh well ...

Thanks in advance.

·
Professional Amateur
446 Posts
I have been lurking on this thread for a bit and about to pull the trigger on a Med (18") Fargo. I ride a 18" Voodoo Dambala so I think it will be the right size. I will be ordering the bike sight unseen unfortunately, but I have inspected other Salsa bikes previously and liked what I saw. Based on all the info in this thread I am super excited to order it and start riding. I'm going to use it as my commuter bike with the option to head off into the hills for a few.

There are some deals to be had compared with normal retail pricing. i found the built bike for ~$1600 from Cambria bikes although I'm ordering it through a LBS for a bit less. Can't wait!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Henrythewound said:
I have been lurking on this thread for a bit and about to pull the trigger on a Med (18") Fargo. I ride a 18" Voodoo Dambala so I think it will be the right size. I will be ordering the bike sight unseen unfortunately, but I have inspected other Salsa bikes previously and liked what I saw. Based on all the info in this thread I am super excited to order it and start riding. I'm going to use it as my commuter bike with the option to head off into the hills for a few.

There are some deals to be had compared with normal retail pricing. i found the built bike for ~$1600 from Cambria bikes although I'm ordering it through a LBS for a bit less. Can't wait!
Henry......err Joe Dirt....umm..I mean Mr. Wound - Nice bike sir! Welcome to the tribe. Next time we meet, I'll show you the secret handshake..

501 - 520 of 6464 Posts