Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
2001 - 2020 of 6440 Posts

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
First pictures of my Fargo I've had for about 6 months. Sorry for the boring photos, here it's seen after a muddy ride last night.

Planning on trying a new bar soon, maybe a homemade J-bar based on a flipped 1x1 bar.

Mustache bar, 90s XT, Alfine dynamo!

That is a sweet build.
Looking to do a dyno next spring.

Have thought about going to moustache bars on mine.
How do you like em?

I do 75% double track and gravel / dirt roads. The rest local single track.
Had one on my CrossCheck years back but couldn't get it into a comfy spot (mainly do the geometry of the bike.

·
Registered
108 Posts
took the fargo out for a shakedown ride today,this bike is awesome with a capital A,salsa cycles have certainly come up trumps with this frame.i like the various bottle cage mounts and rack mounts this is one veratile bike,i had my narrow wheels on drc st19 rims with xt hubs and michelin pilot sport 35mm tyre.
just trying out various stems to find a comfy position,ive ordered a pair of 46cm 31.8 woodchipper bars as my midge bars dont seem wide enough on the hoods,id like some recomendations for a offroad set of wheels i have the xt hubs just need a double eylet 36 hole rim about 30mm wide and a pair of tyres something like a semi knobbly fast rolling.
i have orderd a frame bag from this company Untitled Document
i took a picture of my fargo on my phone just working out how to put in on here.matt

·
Registered
108 Posts
well i certainly had a adventure today this bike does live up to its name i think its had a effect on the way i look at life,since having a accident at work breaking my ankle been off with a leg in cast for 6 weeks gave me enough time to find a new pastime to enable me to get back up to fitness i used to be a active cyclist many years ago even doing time trials on a mountain bike with tri bars fixed to the flat bars and a 52-11 gear.
i took the fargo out today for a good ride set off about lunch time spent most of the time with my hands on the hoods this is a comfy position enableing me to still use the brakes and maintain full control of the steering, i adjusted my seat with a slight upward tilt and found this new position a lot more comfy.

i belive in things happen for a reason, and im glad i bought this cool bike frame,its been a adventure from day one choosing what size to get, i was worried if the size large would be the right one but it is.

during my ride today i went my normal route but it seemed to pass real quickly, i had planned to go round to a freinds house to pick up a different stem to try out i thought id get there for 3pm but i would of got there a hour early on this bike, i decided to do a few more miles good job i had lights with me.

had some time to plan a few routes of bike packing trips on the moors were i live i can use public transport to get further afield like on a train,spend the night in my tent cooking meals on a gas stove,drinking rum out my hip flask ah the good times in life.

ive done quite a few different hobbies up to now, have you ever seen a kite buggy doing 68.1mph on a beach well im the fastest man in england .

i hope to do a few journeys using my salsa fargo is there any websites that offer help in planning trips abroad. check out these pictures of my other hobby

Attachments

·
Registered
964 Posts
There are two things to consider: whether the racks you are looking at will fit the bike well, and whether they will suit your purpose. It's easier for people to advise on the former than the latter, which will depend on how much stuff you plan to carry, whereabouts on the bike, and what sort of terrain you plan on riding. The Salsa racks should fit the bike, but it's really up to the user to decide if they are the right thing for the task. I'd be more inclined towards tubular steel racks myself, especially if going to any remote areas where damage may happen and repairs would thus be required. However, there don't seem to have been any issues reported here with the Salsa alu racks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
hi, thanks for the quick reply. Headed to Vietnam/Laos/Cambodia...will spend a month pedaling as many off the beaten tracks I can get my tires on. Need sturdy front and back racks that can handle being thrown on top of a bus if need be...so the sturdier the better...but I do have to meet the 50# limit to not be charged extra at check in...btw...for anyone headed to Asia...Cathay Pacific is one of the few airlines that I found that doesn't charge extra for the bike box as long as it's properly packed, and weighs in at less then 50#. If I read it right I think you can actually check in 2 50# boxes...quite liberal for these days...if any anyone has any other airline tips I would love to hear it (for Asia)...itching to pull the trigger on the tix...Cathay is a bit more expensive then the other airlines that do charge extra, and who knows, would probably be even out...but I think it's super that they are accepting of our pastime and they get my vote (with $).

·
Registered
108 Posts
took a picture of my fargo whie out on a shakedown ride,picture quality not that good as taken on my phone but will get a new camera soon once ive sold snowboards on ebay.ive managed to convert all my unused sporting equipment in the loft,sold it on ebay and bought the fargo with the cash.
i hope this bke is the start to my new adventure seeking life.matt

Attachments

·
2OFME
151 Posts
Minimalist rack front and a surly or salsa or even bontrager rear rack. That is what I have used on 2 trips now. sleeping bag in a sea to summit bag on the front rack and clothes, tent, etc in two rear pannier bags.
I keep the rear on most of the time for commuting purposes.

·
Registered
108 Posts
im thinking of using bontrager rear rack as i have that all ready,and i have a idea for a carrying system that fixes to the steerer tube to enable you to carry a tent and cooking equipment,im going to make a few sketches and see if i can make it from alloy tubing

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi Yeti, good to see another fargo on UK shores.
Get some 29er tyres on it and get some offroad touring action in, they are a great all-rounder.
Have you thought of going rack-free? Up front on mine I have a home-made bag holder made out of a clickfast bar bag holder, Ikea chopping board and 3 webbing straps, it keeps the bag really stable and holds it clear of the cables. Frame bag is home made and the rear pack is an ortleib one, this is mime packed for a bivvy ride the other weekend.

P1010343 by markenduro, on Flickr

P1010342 by markenduro, on Flickr

P1010340 by markenduro, on Flickr

You aren't too far from the way of the roses coast to coast route up that way, good route if you want an introduction to touring.
Way of the Roses Cycle Route

There is also this flickr group for the fargo if you want some more inspiration.

Flickr: The Fargo Appreciation Society Pool

·
Registered
108 Posts
hi markenduro,
i cant afford another set of wheels yet, ive bought the hubs though just decding on what rims to get for off road maybe the salsa gordo or semi.i want to go rackless in the summer wen i can afford the gear but im just going to use what i have lying around for now,got a 20 litre dry bag coming from alpkit,and a frame bag from buggybags. got a pair of woodchippers today and waiting for stem to come, i fancy a bivi trip for new years eve were abouts are you based.matt

·
Registered
964 Posts
Questions for frame bag owners:

1. How wide are they at the edges?

2. How do you prevent them ballooning out when full? (I know the Revelate bags have compartments which should prevent this to some extent, but they're not available for my v1 Fargo so am considering making something.)

·
Registered
166 Posts
hi markenduro,
i cant afford another set of wheels yet, ive bought the hubs though just decding on what rims to get for off road maybe the salsa gordo or semi.
Your existing rims should fit 29er tyres fine, unless you are running something skinny like an OpenPro or CXP33. I ran Notubes 355 29er rims on my Fargo, nice with 2" tyres and they are really light. If your wanting bigger tyres then look at the Notubes Flow, its a litte wider, stiffer and stronger. I use a 26" version on my DH bike and they are solid, so id trust them for touring completely. Looked and the Salsa rims in the past, heavy, very expensive in the UK, and cant run tubless either. Dont see any advantage to chosing them at all (other than saying Salsa)

·
Registered
26 Posts
hi there,

first, many thanks for this informative thread and all the nice pictures.
I have just ordered a 2011 Fargo Frame in the off-white color to change my all-day trekking bike to bigger tires and front suspension.

In my conversion, several reasons IMHO made the fargo the optimal choice:

1) I run a FSA Metropolis bar on my trekking frame and could not get a comfortable position, either it was too low or I was sitting too "compressed", it might be as well that the trekking frame I currently use is a bit too small (short head tube & top tube, frame size 58 cm). I am 6'1' with an inseam of 34 and have now chosen an XL frame, as I want to sit quite upright.

2) "proper" Suspension fork - not a trekking suspension fork, they often seem to lack in the quality department

3) fat tyres in 28'' (apparently called 29'' :) ), I really like to run them wide

4) robustness of frame; the complete bike will be around 20 kg (you'll see why in the pics of my current ride) and I am 95, so the frame should be able to stand that weight, which a frame as the fargo designed for touring should

I will combine the frame with a RockShox Reba 29'' and a chris king, then put the parts of my current ride on it and maybe later get some new wheels with nicer 29'' rims, these bionx things are robust but not fancy.

The package (frame, fork and head set) is underway, will post pictures of the final build hopefully after the xmas holidays.

best wishes from switzerland,

flaxx

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Your existing rims should fit 29er tyres fine, unless you are running something skinny like an OpenPro or CXP33. I ran Notubes 355 29er rims on my Fargo, nice with 2" tyres and they are really light. If your wanting bigger tyres then look at the Notubes Flow, its a litte wider, stiffer and stronger. I use a 26" version on my DH bike and they are solid, so id trust them for touring completely. Looked and the Salsa rims in the past, heavy, very expensive in the UK, and cant run tubless either. Dont see any advantage to chosing them at all (other than saying Salsa)
im running a 19mm wide rim with 700x35mm road tyres,i planned on having 2 sets of wheels one for road the other for off road,i didnt plan on going bike packing untill the summer but ive sort of caught the bug for it.i am getting a pair of michelin transworld sprint tyres to use for now as they were cheap 16 pound a pair.i need a wide rim cause im 18 stone and like to run a 2.3 tyre on ridgid bike so a 30mm salsa semi would suit me better i think:nono::p:D

·
Registered
686 Posts
Questions for frame bag owners:

1. How wide are they at the edges?

2. How do you prevent them ballooning out when full? (I know the Revelate bags have compartments which should prevent this to some extent, but they're not available for my v1 Fargo so am considering making something.)
I've made one for my Fargo and another one for my Pugsley. The first one took about 10 hours to make, including learning to use the sewing machine, and the second one 5 hours. Both work great.

1. The Fargo one is 6 cm wide and could be very slightly wider.
2. A horizontal velcro divider is easy to implement and prevents the frame bag from ballooning out and also enables two compartments. It might not be needed or make sense in a small frame size, though.

·
Registered
108 Posts
i got my woodchippers and race face dues stem fitted today,cut a inch off the end of the bars suit my hands perfect now,what other choice of brake lever is there on the market as the dia compe ones i have are a bit thin to grab hold of could do with a bit wider handle.:D

i have started to make my own flapjack to take on rides this is is mixed fruit and walnut flavour, i never seem to take it on rides as i eat it all :thumbsup:

Attachments

2001 - 2020 of 6440 Posts