Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 234 Posts

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

It seems like the Casseroll is such a neat, versatile bike, but I never see much information on it. So, I'm starting a thread that I'm hoping will attract a few fans. I just picked up mine this winter from Jenson, at their great $290 price for the frame and fork. I built it up with spare parts from my bin, so nothing too fancy:

It's a 57cm, currently set up as a fixed gear (with two gearing options: 46 x 19 and 46 x 23, I think). The rear wheel is a seven speed freehub that my buddy welded shut. This makes it really easy to adjust the chainline, but doesn't have any provision for a flip/flop fixed/free option. That may be my next project, along with some Nitto Noodle handlebars.

What's in your recipe?

Eric D
Dublin, OH

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
A few from RBR:
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=116717
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=116596
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=114738 - I love how huge the tires are on this bike!

One from this very forum:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=298511

And this is a search for Salsa Casseroll on RBR:
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/search.php?searchid=1493023

They are indeed great looking bikes. I'm hoping the 08 sees one underneath me at some time.

·
Registered
30 Posts
What brake calipers is everyone running on theirs? I am building mine as we speak and need a little help, I know about the Tektro and Cane Creek calipers but am looking at doing Sram across the entire bike. I found a couple auctions on ebay for 49-59mm reach Force calipers but I am not sure if this is the correct measurement for them as my LBS tells me they are short reach calipers. By the way, I also picked mine up from Jenson a couple weeks ago, what a "steel" of a deal. I got the Force/Rival components ordered from the LBS and just got the Force braze on front deraileur from ebay yesterday, I really wish they still made a 28.6 clamp on front deraileur so I wouldn't have had to resort to a braze on with adapter clamp.

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
You're outta luck on the Force standard reach. If you don't want the Tektro or CaneCreek (same thing, really), you're left with Shimano Ultegra level. I'm pretty sure Rivendell does something in standard reach too.

Or you could use the Paul Racer's. Kinda spendy, but pretty.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I use the Tektro 521AG (I think that's the number) on mine. So far, I like them--strong and easy to set up. I haven't tried them with fenders yet, though.

The frame needs long reach calipers. I think these usually run 47-57mm reach.

Eric

·
Registered
30 Posts
black cross said:
Love the bike. What size is it?

My frame is a 47cm and I am trying out a 46cm Salsa Bell Lap bar. If anyone has any experience with this bar feel free to send your feedback on it, I am interested in what I am in for from it.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have bell laps on both my Surly Crosscheck and my Salsa Chili Con Crosso. I think that they are 44cm. I really do like the bars. Lots of options for hand positions.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Salsa Casseroll vs Kogswell PR

Anyone had the opportunity to ride both of these frames?
I'm waffling between a 700c PR or a Casseroll. Either one should meet my needs to have a fat tired commuter that could convert to an all day, geared bike on occasion.

Steve

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have the Bell Laps on my Gunnar Crosshairs. I think they're just OK. I don't really like the flare to them, and the ergo part has to be positioned correctly to make it comfortable (when I rotated the bars too far up, the grip position was in a weird spot)

All in all, I much prefer the Nitto Noodles I had previously (that I sold when I sold my Romulus). I'm getting some new Noodles soon, and those will go on the Salsa. I'll probably go as wide as I can, 48cm.

Eric

Reachout said:
My frame is a 47cm and I am trying out a 46cm Salsa Bell Lap bar. If anyone has any experience with this bar feel free to send your feedback on it, I am interested in what I am in for from it.

·
i heart singletrack
1,553 Posts
The Casseroll I Whipped Up...

Here's the Casseroll I built up for my beautiful wife a couple months ago. It's a parts bin special, save for the new WTB saddle and Nitto Moustache bar, but the ride quality is absolutely superb, especially considering the modest cost of the bike. The Salsa team did a great job tuning the ride of the Casseroll to make it one smooth roller.

Attachments

·
bike geek
1,051 Posts
Love mine. 2007 Ginger Beer bought on sale but not as good as the Jenson sale. Size 53cm. First road bike I have owned that allowed me to get the bars at the right height without spacers. Yes, the headtube is that tall. Mostly serves commuter duty, fully fendered out and all, but I did take it out for a fast-paced hilly 32-miler yesterday and it performed great.

Spec'd out with SRAM Rival, Phil Wood/Open Pro wheels, Thomson & King bits, etc. The first set of pics I took of it didn't come out very well, so I will take some more and add them to this thread.

I am very close to ordering the SS Complete version also.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Availability will be tight.....

black cross said:
Jason,
Do I need to make sure my LBS orders my 51 cm ss pretty soon or do you see them in stock for a while?
Well, I don't really want to write this, but the first shipment that is due next week is almost all going to pre booked dealer orders. Specifically, this means if your local dealer has not placed a stocking order, they will likely not be able to get any from this first shipment.

Specifically, the 51, 53, 55 and 57cm in the SS are sold out. 45, 47, & 49 will be available from QBP.

All sizes of the Casseroll Triple will still be available after dealer pre orders

Now, the even worse news. The next shipment will not be here until March and that order should fill the pipeline and have open stock at QBP.

If your dealers have specific questions, please have them call 877 Moto Ace and ask for Don or Bobby. There are always cancellations.

Thanks and sorry for the bad news.

Jason

1 - 20 of 234 Posts