Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm lucky because I live literally 3 miles from this trail. I went out there today after having not ridden in about 2 weeks and it was a blast. I've ridden it several times before and I see they added some new technical stuff. I always wuss out the first time around but I'll get it next time.

Whoever is keeping this trail up good job:thumbsup:

-Ryan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
659 Posts
fighterinsnatch said:
I'm lucky because I live literally 3 miles from this trail. I went out there today after having not ridden in about 2 weeks and it was a blast. I've ridden it several times before and I see they added some new technical stuff. I always wuss out the first time around but I'll get it next time.

Whoever is keeping this trail up good job:thumbsup:

-Ryan
fl or ga?
 

·
UF Engineering Slave
Joined
·
370 Posts
Glad to see others are enjoying that great trail! The guys who have been working on it are definitely doing a great job. I just got a chance to ride the new bridge yesterday, its awesome! But don't stand around staring at it for too long, some bees seem to have nested in one of the tree stumps.

Too bad I don't have the cojones to try to teeter-toter yet, maybe next month :D

On a side note, one of my buddies lost his truck key on the trail yesterday when his seat bag unzipped, we went back this morning and actually found it! Talk about a needle in a hay stack. I thought the chances of us finding a single key somewhere on the miles of trail out there was impossible.
 

·
Its got what plants crave
Joined
·
5,933 Posts
Yeah it's definitely becoming a fun trail network. I almost like it more than San Felasco. It seems that the builders there are taking advantage of natural features and allowing us to ride good lines rather than cutting a 90 degree turn after a trail feature. The guys on the Felasco trail crews have so much potential that could be utilized better. Until they do I think I'll enjoy the stuff at the rock. I can't wait until there is a dirt jump and pump track area!
 

·
Its got what plants crave
Joined
·
5,933 Posts
Yeah there's plenty of good stuff to poach for sure. At least when you ride at The Rawk you aren't looking over your shoulder or risking being robbed by homeless guys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
you guys hear about the guy who got machete'd on 39th at night?:nono: i was considering buying a light for night riding in gainesville but idk theres lotsa crazies. how do you get the the rock ive never hit those trails?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
875 Posts
root_rider said:
you guys hear about the guy who got machete'd on 39th at night?:nono: i was considering buying a light for night riding in gainesville but idk theres lotsa crazies. how do you get the the rock ive never hit those trails?
Sounds like a place where I'd carry my Beretta 9 double M with me.

9mm pistol > machete
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
actually he got shot too, hope you got something bigger than a 9 in your camelbak lmao.

"A Gainesville man is receiving medical attention after being attacked while leaving his apartment this morning. Fifty-five year old David Nelson was wounded while trying to protect himself. Gainesville Police Department spokeswoman Summer Hallett says the assailant was armed with a hand gun and a machete."
 

·
Where is my mind?
Joined
·
1,130 Posts
So, last time I was at The Rock (admittedly was a while), they started adding a few interesting features. The one think that I like about San Felasco is that you could ride for 3 hrs without repeating any stretch of trails; that and the climbing feels brutal in the hot sweltering summer like yesterday. You guys are saying that The Rock is becoming more fun than SF?
 

·
Its got what plants crave
Joined
·
5,933 Posts
I think it's got some fun terrain features, more so than Felasco, even a few jumps, and now a fun skinny. I like it as a quick after work ride, or in addition to some other trails near there. If you want mileage without repeating yourself, Felasco is still your spot. The guys over at the rock aren't afraid to use the terrain to their advantage, there are a few jumps and bridges that are cool. I'm pleasantly surprised with what it's turning into.
 

·
the #1 Stunna'
Joined
·
500 Posts
root_rider said:
you guys hear about the guy who got machete'd on 39th at night?:nono: i was considering buying a light for night riding in gainesville but idk theres lotsa crazies. how do you get the the rock ive never hit those trails?
:eek: damn i live on 39th, as does at least one other MBTR member. Did it say where. i am on the good side, there is however a seedy side.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
875 Posts
root_rider said:
actually he got shot too, hope you got something bigger than a 9 in your camelbak lmao.
Yikes. Some serious bid'nes there.
Ha..it wouldn't be in my camelback (defeats the purpose), it would be in a shoulder holster, loaded/chambered round.
And actually, you don't need anything bigger than a 9mm when you have a sharpshooter, and two expert pistol marksmanship badges from the Marines. :cool:
You hit someone in the head or center of the chest with a 9mm hollow point at close range, and they aren't getting up...ever.

Do you know exactly how it happened? Was he ambushed? Was it during the day or at night?
Was he riding alone?
 

·
Its got what plants crave
Joined
·
5,933 Posts
Gatorback said:
I may have to go to Gainesville tomorrow for work.

How do I get to The Rock?

(I know Gainesville fairly well, so a basic description will probably get me there--nothing elaborate).
If you want to ride, I'll be there with a buddy riding. He's got a new bike we have to re-assemble, and then we'll ride after that. We should get there around 6:30 or 7pm. It's west of the interstate on Newberry road. It's not marked real well, it's really just a small field with a few small "The Rock" signs.
 

·
Shortcutting Hikabiker
Joined
·
3,220 Posts
Jim311 said:
If you want to ride, I'll be there with a buddy riding. He's got a new bike we have to re-assemble, and then we'll ride after that. We should get there around 6:30 or 7pm. It's west of the interstate on Newberry road. It's not marked real well, it's really just a small field with a few small "The Rock" signs.
I be there call me or text to let me know when.
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top