Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Nice article. I'd love to see more grassroots equality, like equal pay out for races. This varies at our local races in the southwest.

·
Rock n' Roller
270 Posts
It's important that we invest in women's cycling - all aspects of it. If you build it, they will come. I'd love to see more ladies racing enduro, and I'd love to see bike makers take notice. It's amazing to see more women on the roads and our local xc trails, and to see bike makers begin to market towards this demographic. However, not all of us are casual cyclists. Not all of us are xc racers. The bike industry is growing, what we can do on a bike is defying the laws of physics, and it's not just men that want to push the boundaries.

Equal pay for races, more gear and enduro options for women (or just shorter/lighter riders in general)...and let's stop repeating the tired cliches of what female/male cyclists are and are not.

There is an incredible market out there, just waiting to be tapped. Someone just needs to take our money.

·
Registered
413 Posts
So I did a local XC race today. I raced pro and was the only female. The men had 4 racers. The advertised pro pay out was 300 for 1st, then 200 and 100. The advertised cat 1 payout was 100, 75, 50. Obviously being the only one in my cat I won- payout=50. Should I be annoyed?
I did a marathon race this fall were the male payout for 1st was 1500 and for women it was only 500.
I get that there are always more men racing, but we ride the same course and distance. My philosophy is equal payout for the top 3 races, but don't go as deep for the women's payout.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I like the thought of the ladies having their own version of the big races. I am not believing the theory that they can't do long tours. Look at Leadville. Everybody goes. Rebecca Rush can ride with the guys just fine.
So I think it is something that should happen.
Kinsler, I agree with you. Maybe not go quite as deep in payout (As of yet there isn't the support for the ladies as for the guys.) Maybe knock off 20 K on the distance per day and let them go for it.

·
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I did a local XC race today. I raced pro and was the only female. The men had 4 racers. The advertised pro pay out was 300 for 1st, then 200 and 100. The advertised cat 1 payout was 100, 75, 50. Obviously being the only one in my cat I won- payout=50. Should I be annoyed?
Yes. Even if they did some CYA with the fine print, that is lame. If they gave you $300, what would be the worst that would happen? More women would show up next time.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I noticed a big uptick in the number of women racing in all categories in the Texas Mountain Bike Racing Assocation (TMBRA) series races.
Back in the day, it was maybe 5 women racing total. Now there are 70 or so across all categories and ages. It is just awesome.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes. Even if they did some CYA with the fine print, that is lame. If they gave you $300, what would be the worst that would happen? More women would show up next time.
yeah, like the article you posted said (emphasis mine):
Whether demand or supply comes first, persistence is key to cultivating women's cycling. Wiesia Kuczaj found this at a local level at Herne Hill velodrome, site of the historic 1948 London Olympics. Four years ago, the amateur racer, who works in cycling public relations, began putting on weekly women's nights at the velodrome. "Sometimes just one or two women would turn up but we always ran the session because continuity helps development. Now we get up to 50 every week."

The message is clear: invest and they will come.

·
Registered
423 Posts
My own personal issue with women's bike gear is there is little for large women, which I know I shouldn't complain about since I actually can buy and use the men's stuff but sometimes I want a pretty turquoise bike, a purple helmet or cute shoes. I think my bitterness comes from being called "dude" so often while snowboarding in again mostly men's gear.

Also, I'm going to be doing my first XC races this year. I'm excited. One of which is the Beti Bike Bash which is an awesome women's only even specifically to encourage more women to get into racing.

·
Rock n' Roller
270 Posts
Also, I'm going to be doing my first XC races this year. I'm excited. One of which is the Beti Bike Bash which is an awesome women's only even specifically to encourage more women to get into racing.
Congrats on your first race!:thumbsup: I did my first about a year ago. It was a blast. I wasn't the fastest, but I was definitely having the most fun - and when it comes to riding, isn't that what it's supposed to be about?

I've actually been noticing a great deal more inclusion when it comes to XC racing, but I live next to some amazing female athletes in a place where "getting chicked' on skis or on your bike is a daily event. While the market has been slow, it has been catching on, somewhat and there are more options for women looking to get into or even excel at XC racing. The race that I did, while it certainly wasn't "even" it was still awesome to see that many ladies rocking it.

Where I've encountered some struggle is in the Enduro/DH realm of things. I've fallen head over heals for enduro - despite not being very good at it, and decided to update my rig this year to start learning and racing and to start having more fun on my bike again (YES techy little rock gardens and jumping beans! :cool:)

It was actually very difficult to find an all mountain bike with the travel I wanted, the gearing I wanted, the style and feel that I wanted, in a size that actually fit - don't even get me started with the spine protector - I'll just have to duct tape it on at this point. Perhaps the most frustrating thing were the attitudes I encountered from several individuals at my LBS who couldn't imagine a girl on anything but an XC style 29er.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Perhaps the most frustrating thing were the attitudes I encountered from several individuals at my LBS who couldn't imagine a girl on anything but an XC style 29er.
That sucks. My husband races endurance for one of the LBSs and their teams has only had 2 women, both of which are DH/Endro riders, plus the shop owners wife DHs. But like I said in another post, we are definitely spoiled in Colorado, big bike culture men and women.

·
Rock n' Roller
270 Posts
Ray6503,
We are definitely spoiled. Colorado is one of the best places to rock it. I've found it's dependent on the individual and individual assumptions, prejudices, etc. Most peope out here are amazing. Every once and a while though...Called a different LBS and couldn't have been happier. The loves at Rock N' Roll went above and beyond for me, did some research, talked bikes with him for over 45 minutes...awesome experience. I'll be doing all my business with them from now on.

On a side note - Proud owner of an Ibis Mojo HD. I would also personally like to thank the marketing machine behind the 27.5 wheel for making my sassy 26er so affordable...:thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts