Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
3,049 Posts
I'm definitly in on this one. I'm not sure exactly what route they'll choose, but anyone familiar with the area (used to live there myself) knows that it could easily be a greatest hits tour.

Training for TI, anyone?:eek:

·
Registered
445 Posts
Work permitting I am in

Its on the calendar, but am confused (nothing new about that) about the start/finish spot per the blog site:confused: , about 30 miles, one way, away from White Rim Trail???? (or is this ride NOT the White Rim Trail??, some other route?? but its Moab area so it really does not matter)

forever lost in the desert, except when in the mountains

G

·
Rim Ride Questions

I can provide some info, which may help with some of the questions here.

There are many "Rims" around Moab. The White Rim, and Porcupine Rim, are two trails which travel along canyon rims, but they aren't the only ones. Speculation is always fun. Just keep in mind that the White Rim has not actually been announced as the route. There are a few photos on the site which give some hints.

This ride has not been held in the past, so no history as far as rider numbers go. These type of events are becoming quite popular though, so there could be quite a few. My guess is that route conditions would play a bit into how bunched riders are. It seems rare that riders stay in large groups very often in this type of ride though.

FW

·
3,049 Posts
trail717 said:
Its on the calendar, but am confused (nothing new about that) about the start/finish spot per the blog site:confused: , about 30 miles, one way, away from White Rim Trail????
I don't think this has anything to do with the White Rim. Photo one is above Seven mile canyon, looking east toward the monitor/merrimack area. Photo two is north of where the Gemini road comes up onto the plateau from the highway. The start/finish "park" is the big dirt lot where River road intersects with the highway north of town.

My presumption is that the ride will involve something like the following (assuming counter-clockwise):
-191 N to the old road/bike trail, to Sovereign single/double.
-Cross 191 somewhere near the beginning of the Bartlett access roads.
-Head south around the M/M buttes, dodge around Seven mile canyon, and head down to the rim, ride the rim until Gold bar, maybe down the portal, maybe down Poison Spider.
-Swim the river?:D
-Go up either Moab rim or Pritchett, end up near the 24 hr course.
-Cross the road, hit Flat Pass, detour up to Porc Rim, back down to the start.

Two things:
1) You gotta avoid Arches.
2) Unless we'll all be expected to pack rafts, we'll have to detour back past the start and through town at some point. Unless there's something mysterious going on.

Otherwise, there are lots of options to connect the dots, but we'll likely end up riding at least parts of 4-6 classic Moab trails.

Win/win.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Opps, I Assumed

ionsmuse said:
I don't think this has anything to do with the White Rim. ..... .
I saw "rim" and assumed "white rim" ya, ya I know all about what you get when you assume,:nono: you look like a…………

Blog says the course will be "announced in Jan" so we just have to "wait and speculate"

forever lost in the desert, except when in the mountains

·
More Chasmism
798 Posts
ionsmuse said:
I don't think this has anything to do with the White Rim. Photo one is above Seven mile canyon, looking east toward the monitor/merrimack area. Photo two is north of where the Gemini road comes up onto the plateau from the highway. The start/finish "park" is the big dirt lot where River road intersects with the highway north of town.

My presumption is that the ride will involve something like the following (assuming counter-clockwise):
-191 N to the old road/bike trail, to Sovereign single/double.
-Cross 191 somewhere near the beginning of the Bartlett access roads.
-Head south around the M/M buttes, dodge around Seven mile canyon, and head down to the rim, ride the rim until Gold bar, maybe down the portal, maybe down Poison Spider.
-Swim the river?:D
-Go up either Moab rim or Pritchett, end up near the 24 hr course.
-Cross the road, hit Flat Pass, detour up to Porc Rim, back down to the start.
Based on the pictures, the theme, and differentiation from another underground Moab 100 mile race, I'd picture something like this as well. Old Highway to Bar M to Sovereign to Sevenmile Rim --> Wipe Out --> Arths Rim --> Gold Bar --> God knows where from there.

hfly

G

·
It sounds like ionsmuse, and hfly have some good ideas on the route.

I thought I'd give posting with pictures a try. Here's a little temptation for those thinking about this race. Not the best lighting today, but hopefully encouraging nonetheless.

Attachments

·
3,049 Posts
Excellent!!!

I was right and wrong, right in the route, wrong in thinking we'd need more action south to reach 100 miles. Fred, looks like you'll need to organize the Rim Ride 200 this fall.

Someone correct me, but I can't think of a SINGLE water source along the whole route. certainly not in the later half where it'll actually be useful. Hope we have some cloud cover and/or recent rain in March.

Look forward to seein' ya all there, the sand should be in good shape for the last 20 miles.

Cheers,
Dave

·
Cycling, FTW!!
478 Posts
Sweet!

Anybody interested in going down to Moab to do some pre-riding?

I got Mondays and Tuesdays off of work, but I am more then happy to take days off work to go ride in Moab.

·
Grizzly
695 Posts
MarkoInTheBoat said:
Anybody interested in going down to Moab to do some pre-riding?

I got Mondays and Tuesdays off of work, but I am more then happy to take days off work to go ride in Moab.
I'd like to pre-ride at some point. I have ridden most of the trails listed on the route, but have not done all the "connectors". A 2 day pre-ride, where we cover the whole route could be fun. Early march is probably the only time that would work for me.

EDIT: Tentatively planning a pre-ride on the 9/10th of March, anyone and everyone is welcome to join us.

With the route posted, I am getting super excited about this one. Thanks for putting it together Fred.

·
3,049 Posts
alizbee said:
EDIT: Tentatively planning a pre-ride on the 9/10th of March, anyone and everyone is welcome to join us.
Sounds like a good idea to me, we'll see how the schedule behaves. I'll be running the last third during the Red Hot 50k in two weeks, so I'll be very familiar with that part.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.