Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Living Ghetto Fabulous!
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it's time for an upgrade to my big bike. (X-post from RM.)

I'm a 200 lb. sport level rider, who enters the expert class to ride the better courses. I don't race very much though... I like to carve turns at speed and pick the sneaky lines. (Saying that, I try to ride like I'm racing. :D )

Anyway, I've been riding a Rocky Flatline and I have to say it's not a bad bike. Head angle is hovering around 64 with a 14 inch BB height. It's been a few seasons now and I feel the need to change as I'm tired of it's excess heft (44lbs currently) and the 18.25 chainstays. Don't get me wrong, I like a bike that's stable at speed, but I want to throw it around too.

My local shop's been an Intense dealer for the last year or so and now it looks like Evil will be added to the line-up. Last weekend I got a run on a friends 951 and it caused me to write the thread you're reading. We are about the same height and weight, so the bike was set up well for me. It was a touch un-balanced since his fork was riding a little high in it's travel,(09 Boxxer WC) plus it couldn't keep up with the CCDB in the rear. I railed that bike though and came away smiling... :)

I was pretty set on a Revolt, but now I'm curious everyone's thoughts between the 2 frames. (Yeah, I used the search function...) One of the more obvious issues that concerns me is the 951 seems to need a 550 lb spring to get proper sag. I only have a parking lot pedal on the Revolt, but I like the fact that it may be a bit tougher than the 951.

So, if others have demo time on both bikes, give me your 2 cents. :thumbsup:

·
Locs on Spokez
1,905 Posts
Well,

The Revolt is a single pivot and feels dead and lame

The 951 is vpp2 and feels very lively and wants to jump around.

I would MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH rather have a 951 after riding a Revolt.... shits weak IMHO. Yes, the 951 does have a weak leverage curve and may be easier to bottom but since you are not racing world cups you should be just fine.

·
slow reeezay
153 Posts
on a more serious note.......

I have two racer friends on their second and third revolts due to breakage.......

had a blast on a friends 951 and it is a sick bike :thumbsup:

really nice bike, came second to the session for me but i'd have one in a flash!!!

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Since I like both bikes I would personally go with the one that ended up being less cash money.

I have a M6 that i like a lot, came from 2 different single pivots before that and a few different horst links before the Sp's. If that helps any.

·
Living Ghetto Fabulous!
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Honestly, all the big bikes I've owned have been a single pivot of some sort... I've enjoyed all of them. I have an Intense SS right now and I really like it. It's nothing like the 951 I demoed though. (Obviously...)

I know I can't really go wrong with either frame, I might have to find someone who'll let me shred their large Revolt! Too bad I don't know anybody with one around here yet. Maybe it'll have to be me.

It's not like I'd have a problem selling it eh? LOL.

·
Locs on Spokez
1,905 Posts
1st gen frames are a sketchy deal

Dunno if you want to take that risk.........

even the holy DW makes mistakes

·
slow reeezay
153 Posts
ilikemybike011 said:
1st gen frames are a sketchy deal

Dunno if you want to take that risk.........

even the holy DW makes mistakes
+1 as i say i know of a few people that have broken them!

sounds like you'll enjoy the 951 more

·
Living Ghetto Fabulous!
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hecticj said:
I have two racer friends on their second and third revolts due to breakage......
What are the circumstances of your friends breakages? I haven't heard of any serious failures. The frame is in another production run at the moment, so the issues (whatever they are) have likely been addressed.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I'd say if you were pumped on the 951 then you should seriously consider it. You mentioned that the fork rode a bit high and couldn't keep up with the rear end... That's pretty easy to fix with proper spring rate, compression and rebound tuning, etc.

I am pretty pumped on the design of the Revolt, but having never ridden one I couldn't honestly recommend it.

What about the new Flatline? I hear it is supposed to be lighter and a bit more dh oriented?

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,005 Posts
I have been on a 951 for the last 3 months. I can honestly say the bike doesn't feel right if suspension is not set up right. If you run any compression in the shock the bike will feel like a hardtail because it ramps up so fast. I was running a 500 lb spring and the 450 was just too light. I also had a fox 40 on the front but it was seeping oil into the air chamber.

When you get this bike dialed it is so snappy. Jumps really well. DO NOT BUY WITH THE FOX RC4....get the Crane Creek Double Barrel .....

Overall this is a great bike. It is a top seller in Europe right now.

Hands down I would take the 951with VPP over any singlepivot especially one that has seen many frame failures

·
Living Ghetto Fabulous!
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
his dudeness said:
I'd say if you were pumped on the 951 then you should seriously consider it. You mentioned that the fork rode a bit high and couldn't keep up with the rear end... That's pretty easy to fix with proper spring rate, compression and rebound tuning, etc.

What about the new Flatline? I hear it is supposed to be lighter and a bit more dh oriented?
He's running an older Boxxer WC. I think just a touch of air could've been let out. In "attack" position it only sagged an inch or so. As far as the Flatline goes, I am impressed with it. A lot! I would rather do a frame up build this time around on another brand. It's tough as I'm a Rocky fan actually. (I've had 3 of them...) I just want to try something different.
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
I have been on a 951 for the last 3 months. I can honestly say the bike doesn't feel right if suspension is not set up right. If you run any compression in the shock the bike will feel like a hardtail because it ramps up so fast. I was running a 500 lb spring and the 450 was just too light. I also had a fox 40 on the front but it was seeping oil into the air chamber.

When you get this bike dialed it is so snappy. Jumps really well. DO NOT BUY WITH THE FOX RC4....get the Crane Creek Double Barrel .....

Overall this is a great bike. It is a top seller in Europe right now.

Hands down I would take the 951with VPP over any singlepivot especially one that has seen many frame failures
How much do you weigh Bob? That spring rate seems soft if you're the weight I thought you were.

Also, I'm still waiting to hear what kind of failures the Revolts have had... What's breaking? What are the circumstances? There's a shot of a 951 snapped in half floating around the web right now, but nobody's mentioning that... The Revolt's in a new production run right now and I'm sure they've addressed the issues. (Whatever they are...;) )

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Evil addressed most or all of the issues early to mid summer. Changed some tubing around, a few frames also had some messed up parts that changed the geo. Everything is fine now.

I saw the broken 951, not concerned one bit, accidents happen.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Uncle Cliffy said:
He's running an older Boxxer WC. I think just a touch of air could've been let out. In "attack" position it only sagged an inch or so. As far as the Flatline goes, I am impressed with it. A lot! I would rather do a frame up build this time around on another brand. It's tough as I'm a Rocky fan actually. (I've had 3 of them...) I just want to try something different.

How much do you weigh Bob? That spring rate seems soft if you're the weight I thought you were.

Also, I'm still waiting to hear what kind of failures the Revolts have had... What's breaking? What are the circumstances? There's a shot of a 951 snapped in half floating around the web right now, but nobody's mentioning that... The Revolt's in a new production run right now and I'm sure they've addressed the issues. (Whatever they are...;) )
Evil added a brace at the TT/ST junction. I wonder if that is where they were breaking.

I think the Evils are really cool but I would have trouble paying $3150 for a Taiwanese frame.

·
Living Ghetto Fabulous!
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
boone said:
oh Cliffy don't you know that the 951 and evil both look flexy and don't come in rootbeer?

Sheesh :)

Oh and btw....pssssst.....http://www.sicklines.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/13711
Jason, I don't even need to click that link to see where it goes... Problem is, we're chock-full of frame options here, and we aren't gonna add any more. Gotta rep the brands we sell.;)

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,005 Posts
Uncle Cliffy said:
He

e..;) )
205 I wear full armour too....I like my bikes plush with ramp up in later stages of travel

·
Living Ghetto Fabulous!
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
205 I wear full armour too....I like my bikes plush with ramp up in later stages of travel
O.K. That's what I thought. Was the frame in the short or long travel setting? My buddy was getting way too much sag in the 8.5 position. Seems perfect now in the 8 inch position with a 550 spring...

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,005 Posts
Uncle Cliffy said:
O.K. That's what I thought. Was the frame in the short or long travel setting? My buddy was getting way too much sag in the 8.5 position. Seems perfect now in the 8 inch position with a 550 spring...
the most travel setting

·
Registered
294 Posts
ilikemybike011 said:
Well,

The Revolt is a single pivot and feels dead and lame

The 951 is vpp2 and feels very lively and wants to jump around.

I would MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH rather have a 951 after riding a Revolt.... shits weak IMHO. Yes, the 951 does have a weak leverage curve and may be easier to bottom but since you are not racing world cups you should be just fine.
951 easier to bottom out? Revolt dead and not playful? :madman:

the more I read your posts here the more I think you're a clueless brand follower.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts