Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Attachments

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
shark67 said:
I just found this tonight, and ncj hasn't even gotten his moots together yet.
Dang it, I was hopin' to get to ride this bike too...oh well, here goes:

FOR SALE, NEW, Moo...

Nah, I think I'll ride it at least a couple times first...

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't see anything else

and even the Paragon29 is gone as are the 292/293, and we know they are going to be here soon, don't we? The Montare is already in stock.

NCJ--can't wait to see your moots on the trail!

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
Great find!
On my PC, it reads 440mm effective chainstays, so that's just 7mm extra. Perhaps needed to make it work with the EBB pulling the rear wheel forward a bit.
34-18 as a standard gear, that's what I'm running now! Dedicated SS Bontrager cranks, that fork, all at once homebrew parts don't seem as unattractive anymore.
It's not all low-end parts either, with a Gigapipe BB, those Avid Discs, Lightish Mustang rims.
No mention of a new Bontrager tire I'd been hoping for, but the AcX is my fav front tire anyway.

My only reservations are re: the now really high BB which I for one, don't need, 300 would have sufficed, and the new frame layout. With the XL still only a 21", Tall guys like myself need a lot of seatpost extention, which leaves little seatpost in the frame, and possibly very little past the toptube intersection.
I can't make out if there will be room for a derailer hanger to be attached, or if there are any cableguides. Wimpy to put them on, but many riders will like them there, to be able to use the bike as a basis to upgrade from with parts they already have.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
Here's the BikeCAD impression of the XL specs. I used 43mm of fork rake. Look how the wheelbase is diffrent than spec'd. Actually, in BikeCAD it's really close to my own XL SuperCal. The Bontrager fork might have less rake than 43mm.
I put the seat high at 870mm, which is about what I'd need.
My cockpit measurement with the stock 105mm stem is more than the spec'd max cockpit of 30.2".
Perhaps the wheelbase figure offered is an actual measured?

·
Registered
650 Posts
I am glad they have kept the Purple for the production model.

I will be getting one ASAP. At that price you can't go wrong, and it will save me thrashing the Ferrous though British mud this winter.

P::..

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
Hey, with the tall BB, you could try some 195-200mm cranks on it without much clearnace penalty if like me you could always handle 180mm/300mm. I still have some 185mm sets, road and MTB, which I might try on one.

Aren't you worried with the frame design being a bit critical with our inseam lengths?
I could always go for my 425mm Sycros post and a Fisik seat. That, and 185mm cranks will help a bit. With the BB higher to begin with, getting the bars low enough won't be more of a problem than with earlier Fishers. For riders with 175mm cranks, it's oviously a lot improved.
P, could you please email me re: Berlin?

·
Needed Less ~ Did More
1,011 Posts
Price?

nightfire said:
I am glad they have kept the Purple for the production model.

I will be getting one ASAP. At that price you can't go wrong, and it will save me thrashing the Ferrous though British mud this winter.

P::..
I know that $800 was talked about, but it will probably end-up as £800 over here :( A small would be great for Becca as she finds the Bontrage Race Lite a little fast handling! :D

Perhaps Phil we could come to some arrangement in exchange for consultancy work? ;)

SSP

·
rider
802 Posts
shark67 said:
and even the Paragon29 is gone as are the 292/293, and we know they are going to be here soon, don't we? The Montare is already in stock.

NCJ--can't wait to see your moots on the trail!
There's a Paragon pic a few posts down under "2005 Paragon". The pics in issue #109 Dirt Rag.

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
Oh my. That looks really nice. Can I really be saying I want an Al frame??? Can't wait to try it out at interbike if I have the time. It simply looks good. Great lines. Job well done Fisher crew.

·
Master of the Obvious
498 Posts
Must have

I have already told my LBS to get me one, I plan on using as my race bike, and using the Monkey for all adventure rides and Demote my 26" solo-one to the woodshed,

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
Just to test how this loads, and have the specs available on the forum itself.
<table cellspacing="5" cellpadding="0" width="543" border="0" height="998"> <tbody> <tr> <td class="specs" align="right" width="150">Sizes</td> <td class="specs">SM (15.5") | MD (17.5") | LG (19") | XL (21") (Sizing) </td></tr> <tr> </tr> <tr> <td class="specs" align="right">Main frame</td> <td class="specs">Platinum Series SS double-butted aluminum | Genesis 29" Geometry
</td></tr> <tr> </tr> <tr> <td class="specs" align="right">Fork</td> <td class="specs">Bontrager Switchblade 29"</td></tr> <tr> <td align="right"></td> </tr> <tr> <td class="specs" align="right" height="17">Headset</td> <td class="specs" height="17">Aheadset, semi-cartridge, sealed</td></tr> <tr> <td align="right"></td> </tr> <tr> <td class="specs" align="right">Bottom bracket</td> <td class="specs">ISIS GigaPipe</td></tr> <tr> <td align="right"></td> </tr> <tr> <td class="specs" align="right">Crank</td> <td class="specs">Bontrager Race Lite SS, 34</td></tr> <tr> <td align="right"></td> </tr> <tr> <td class="specs" align="right">Pedals</td> <td class="specs">Alloy platform</td></tr> <tr> <td align="right"></td> </tr> <tr> <td class="specs" align="right">Cassette</td> <td class="specs">18T</td></tr> <tr> <td align="right"></td> </tr> <tr> <td class="specs" align="right">Chain</td> <td class="specs">KMC Z51</td></tr> <tr> </tr> <tr> <td class="specs" align="right">Front hub</td> <td class="specs">Bontrager Race Disc</td></tr> <tr> <td class="specs" align="right">Front rim</td> <td class="specs">Bontrager Mustang 29"</td></tr> <tr> <td class="specs" align="right">Front spokes</td> <td class="specs">14G Stainless Steel</td></tr> <tr> </tr> <tr> <td class="specs" align="right">Rear hub</td> <td class="specs">Bontrager Race Disc SS</td></tr> <tr> <td class="specs" align="right">Rear rim</td> <td class="specs">Bontrager Mustang 29"</td></tr> <tr> <td class="specs" align="right">Rear spokes</td> <td class="specs">14G Stainless Steel</td></tr> <tr> <td align="right"></td> </tr> <tr> <td class="specs" align="right">Front Tire</td> <td class="specs">Bontrager Jones ACX K 29x2.2</td></tr> <tr> </tr> <tr> <td class="specs" align="right">Front brake</td> <td class="specs">Avid BB5 mechanical disc w/Avid FR5 levers</td></tr> <tr> </tr> <tr> <td class="specs" align="right">Handlebar</td> <td class="specs">Bontrager Sport</td></tr> <tr> <td align="right"></td> </tr> <tr> <td class="specs" align="right">Stem</td> <td class="specs">Bontrager Sport</td></tr> <tr> </tr> <tr> <td class="specs" align="right">Saddle</td> <td class="specs">Bontrager Select</td></tr> <tr> </tr> <tr> <td class="specs" align="right">Seatpost</td> <td class="specs">Bontrager Sport</td></tr> <tr> <td align="right"></td> </tr></tbody> </table>

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
I added it all up, threw in some roughly guessed part weights, and came up with a complete weight of around 23lbs. With some parts that every hardcore rider should have on his other bikes, littering the garage, or available for cheap on eBay, easily brought down to 21.6lbs. Especially the Bontrager stuff seems to be where the easiest weight can be shed, as usual with Fisher bikes.
If I ever buy and lighten one, it would end up around 16-17lbs.

Oh, and the frame+fork combo, despite the EBB, I rate at 1100g or 2.4 lbs lighter than the KM set. The Bontrager fork can't be as harsh as the Surly, and the new frame layout should make Fisher contest Surly's steel comfort as well.
Definately a great choice for people looking for an affordable yet kick-azz way into 29" and Singlespeed. Anyone know yet if the Rig frame will work with derailers? If so, Fisher should offer the frame+fork for $450 to rule the world.

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
Cloxxki said:
Anyone know yet if the Rig frame will work with derailers? If so, Fisher should offer the frame+fork for $450 to rule the world.
One Frame to Rule them all...

I have a standing order for a Rig as soon as available. It looks like from the photo at the top of this thread that the frame has V-mounts..?? It says Mustang rims...I wonder if they are disc specific?

Also, that SS Bontrager Race rear hub will be interesting....I have a 19t Chris King King Cog that I'd like to put on there, but don't know it'll be "that kind" of hub...I need to have a cassette type application, not one of those "screw on" BMX style things...

·
giddy up!
3,249 Posts
Yeah, it has canti-bosses, which is pretty lame, considering that the fork is disc specific, and the rims appear to be disc only as well. Odd. Looks like you might be forced to ride discs:)

I am pretty sure that the bonti hub will be a cassette hub and not a threaded freewheel hub. One can only hope, freewheels suck. If it is a freewheel hub, I'll buy your 19...those are getting rare!

I've got an order in too:)

ncj01 said:
One Frame to Rule them all...

I have a standing order for a Rig as soon as available. It looks like from the photo at the top of this thread that the frame has V-mounts..?? It says Mustang rims...I wonder if they are disc specific?

Also, that SS Bontrager Race rear hub will be interesting....I have a 19t Chris King King Cog that I'd like to put on there, but don't know it'll be "that kind" of hub...I need to have a cassette type application, not one of those "screw on" BMX style things...

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
donkey said:
Yeah, it has canti-bosses, which is pretty lame, considering that the fork is disc specific, and the rims appear to be disc only as well. Odd. Looks like you might be forced to ride discs:)

I am pretty sure that the bonti hub will be a cassette hub and not a threaded freewheel hub. One can only hope, freewheels suck. If it is a freewheel hub, I'll buy your 19...those are getting rare!

I've got an order in too:)
Agreed, doesn't make sense per se, but it's nice to have options...in the fight for middle earth, errrh, middle bike, the winner must be option-savy if they are to take on the blessed Monkey.

Lets hope for a derailer hanger and v-compat rims. Probably many customers will be upgrading to the REBA for the front anyway, but of course I don't know if that has canti studs either...??

·
get down!
2,193 Posts
it does have disc specific rims, which is really dope I think

with a saint derailleur you don't need a derailleur hanger and IMO it would be blasphemy to have one

1 - 20 of 37 Posts