Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Tamaqua, PA MTB Race
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all you fellow Coal Crackers!

I wanted to officially announce the return of the Reading Anthracite Coal Cracker Classic as part of the M.A.S.S series for the 2011 season. Please make sure to check back here to keep up to date on any new information. Pre-registration and shirts are now open and available on Bikereg.com:

http://www.bikereg.com/events/register.asp?eventid=13497

Please also check and fan our Facebook site for more info at:

http://www.facebook.com/CoalCrackerClassic

For "up-to-minute" info our twitter calling is:

http://www.twitter.com/TheCoalCracker

Thanks everyone for the support and interest and believe me...you DON'T want to miss this next race!

Love,
Rich and Aaron

Attachments

·
Ride da mOOn
8,470 Posts
Thanks guys:

My old a88 will be in attendance, this year sporting long hair, and beard(on my body, not my a88 that is)... LOL Could you please include MORE ROCKS as it is Tarockqua ya know! I'll be out to help on workdays also! Let me know in advance so I can round up others to help ya. Will you have a preride day this year as you did last year? That was fun!

Rich or Aaron shoot me a PM with your ph number so I can call ya for plans.

Looking forward to seeing all you manaics again

Thanks...:thumbsup:

·
Tamaqua, PA MTB Race
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@NEPMTBA

Thanks so much for the support my friend! I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the extra trail we're adding in for the expert/endurance loops! I'll keep you updated through this forum with work day and pre-ride information. Coal Region Pride!

·
Dinner for wolves
1,567 Posts
Hell yes. This was such a fun race last year, I will literally strangle to death anyone who tries to prevent me from attending this year. Y'all have a nice day.

·
Suburban *******
398 Posts
Seriously considering doing the CCC even though I've never raced an MTB and it's been nearly twenty years since I raced road last.

·
Did you ever have ham?
1,650 Posts
Coal Cracker Classic

Hells Yeah...can't wait!!! Let me know about workdays in advance, I also wuld love to help out! I am wound up now, time to load up and head to the mOOn before work! RIDE ON!!!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Has anyone constructed a map of this place? I use to live in the area and did the original Coal Cracker races back in the late 90s. In fact, I still have a t-shirt from one of the races. Whenever I'm back visiting the in-laws, I always try to get to the Bungalow to ride. I generally ride all the sections on the "bottom" and don't usually climb up the exposed rocky climb.

I know that if you go roughly halfway up the climb the trail heads back south along a small ridge and then comes back down. This was part of the old race course. However, I remember one year the trail went all the way to the top of the mountain for the expert loop. This is what I'm curious about. Anyone know what I'm referring to?

·
Ride da mOOn
8,470 Posts
Ya...

..we didn't use that part where you go up the turn right and come back above the paved parking area. We rode top of the p lot then into the woods and climbed a little bit, then made our way to the left and continued.

The new CCC has lots of great stuff including the moto style drops and ups.

I don't think I ever missed one of the old races! Remember the swag they gave away back then! It was amazing as after the race they would be throwing out stuff for a half hour or so. GO Jama bikes!

Hit it if you can! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
334 Posts
What ever happened to JAMA bikes? I can't remember the name of the guy who ran it (maybe Art?). It's a shame there is not a bike shop in Tamaqua anymore - at least that I'm aware of.

I've also heard rumors that the trails at the Bungalow are technically closed for riding at any time? That would be a shame if true. Is this true or just a liability thing for Reading Anthracite that is not enforced? I've seen numerous riders out there - motorcyclists, quads, and bikers over the years. I live in NJ now so I don't get back that way very often.

·
Ride da mOOn
8,470 Posts
What ever happened to JAMA bikes? I can't remember the name of the guy who ran it (maybe Art?). It's a shame there is not a bike shop in Tamaqua anymore - at least that I'm aware of.

I've also heard rumors that the trails at the Bungalow are technically closed for riding at any time? That would be a shame if true. Is this true or just a liability thing for Reading Anthracite that is not enforced? I've seen numerous riders out there - motorcyclists, quads, and bikers over the years. I live in NJ now so I don't get back that way very often.
I heard the owner got sick and had to sell out.

It makes sense in this day of super insurance laws that anything could happen, but I have never had a problem there.

·
Tamaqua, PA MTB Race
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@Boxman12. The CCC beginner course would be a GREAT way to get back into the sport! If you are interested in pre-riding the course before the event please don't hesitate to contact Aaron at:

[email protected]

to schedule a pre-ride! Hope to see you in September!

·
Tamaqua, PA MTB Race
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@CrashCanipe

Since the CCC has partnered with the M.A.S.S. (Mid-Atlantic Super Series) race circuit this year we have been extending and cutting new trail based on the old Coal Cracker course. The beginner and intermediate loop will remain on the lower, bmx style single track course as it did back then. The expert and now ENDURANCE loop will continue past the lower loop and climb the entire Locust Mountain. Unlike past races where racers climbed and descended heading back east, there will be new cut single track put in to keep the race primarily in the woods and eliminate most of the rocky "shake 'n' bake" exposed climb you may remember from past years.

The land where the trails are located is now owned by the Reading Anthracite Company. Any riders you may have seen riding the land may have purchased a "riding permit" costing $100 able to be obtained at Reading Anthracite's office in Pottsville. Our trails are specifically closed due to our insurance policy and relationship with Reading Anthracite. If you would be interested in pre-riding any of the new course please feel free to email Aaron at: [email protected] and we can set something up. If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to post on this thread or email me directly at [email protected] Hope you can make it back for September!

Rich Chwastiak
Coal Cracker Classic

·
Tamaqua, PA MTB Race
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hello Coal Crackers!

Tomorrow Tuesday, July 12th we will be filming our 2011 CCC promo video! If you are not working (which probably most are) feel free to contact me at [email protected] for more information. All you need is your bike, riding gear, and enthusiasm to be featured in the promo for this year's race! Hope you can make it!

·
Ride da mOOn
8,470 Posts
Hello Coal Crackers!

Tomorrow Tuesday, July 12th we will be filming our 2011 CCC promo video! If you are not working (which probably most are) feel free to contact me at [email protected] for more information. All you need is your bike, riding gear, and enthusiasm to be featured in the promo for this year's race! Hope you can make it!
Location?

·
Tamaqua, PA MTB Race
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A HUGE thanks to everyone who showed up today to film for the 2011 CCC promo video! =)

If you are interested in getting involved in helping the CCC promo team; we have large and small posters that are available to be posted wherever you may ride or frequent. Please contact me at [email protected] for more information! Thanks so much!

·
Ride da mOOn
8,470 Posts
The vid shoot was awesome!

So, a few unprofessional pics:

Shots of different areas of filming, riding, set up.

Anyone need a cab for their truck?

I heard the kid on the mini bike challenged Chris to race for 10 bucks!

Hope they make ya smile or laugh cause it was a great time and thanks for inviting me! I know we got lots of footage and can't wait to see the results.

You guys are the best!:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Tamaqua, PA MTB Race
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Lee! Awesome pics! Once again, thanks for coming out and supporting us so much. The video and race this year will be spectacular! I'll drop the posters in the mail for you tomorrow!

Rich

1 - 20 of 37 Posts