Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

First of all, I apologize if I've posted this in the wrong place but I wanted to thank each and every one of you for your success stories, pictures and other parts of your MTB lives.

I'm a big guy,6'2 350 and I've been so for about the past 10 years. After the children were born, I settled in for a desk job and that 9-5 life, been in easy-mode for a long time.

I live in the heart of Baltimore City MD, concrete jungle full of dope boys, crown vics, and other vices, but I've always walked to the beat of a different drum. I stay inside most of the time and try and take care of the family.

Fast forward to last month...

I dunno something sparked it, maybe it was the spring finally breaking in good, maybe it was the mildly hot days we had, maybe it was divine intervention. I felt the need to do something "different", something I hadn't done in awhile, I started searching online for outdoor activities. What I found were posts about local Baltimore outdoor fitness groups, golf groups and various other "meetups". I'm not into Yoga or BootyCamp classes and I ain't Tiger Woods so that wasn't going to work. Nothing really clicked until I ran across this forum while stumbling down the path of what I like to refer to as "Internet A.D.D". I started reading the forums like a man possessed and I made up my mind while being stuck on the light rail after a Orioles game, "There's no day like today.."

I haven't rode a bike for about 10 years and all of the sudden I knew that's what I wanted to do :)

I did my homework and settled on a entry level bike from DSG and I actually bought it yesterday. The mechanic sized me up and told me a wealth of information that I had already learned here, so I felt that he was legit. Swiped the card and I was out the door. Rode the train and jumped off about 7 miles away from home and rode it like a boss :cool:, almost died 2 blocks away from the crib but I made it, feet didn't touch the ground till I hit the doorstep. Legs hurt so good that I fell asleep on the couch, bike in hand, haven't slept that good in 15 years.

Just wanted to say Thank you for your sharing your adventures and I hope to become a regular contributor as well. I'm still learning, riding solo for now till my kungfu is a little stronger,but this is the best time I've had in a long time, now if it will just stop raining...

Font Orange Carmine Symbol Animation

·
Registered
593 Posts
Congrats on your purchase! You made a great decision that will give you a better quality of life if you just stick with it. It will get easier every time you ride. The key is to keep riding. It's going to hurt but you'll be shocked at just how quickly that pain goes away and how much better you feel. This time next year you will be a healthier and new guy and loving life because of it.

And since you are from Baltimore I just want to add

GO RAVENS!

·
mtbr Decade+
1,545 Posts
BMFB, welcome to the forum (s). I'm a regular on mtbr and used to frequent this form...before the tall guys came along.

Your first post was awesome! Keep us updated on your riding and bicycle.

Great post.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi all,

First of all, I apologize if I've posted this in the wrong place but I wanted to thank each and every one of you for your success stories, pictures and other parts of your MTB lives.

I'm a big guy,6'2 350 and I've been so for about the past 10 years. After the children were born, I settled in for a desk job and that 9-5 life, been in easy-mode for a long time.

I live in the heart of Baltimore City MD, concrete jungle full of dope boys, crown vics, and other vices, but I've always walked to the beat of a different drum. I stay inside most of the time and try and take care of the family.

Fast forward to last month...

I dunno something sparked it, maybe it was the spring finally breaking in good, maybe it was the mildly hot days we had, maybe it was divine intervention. I felt the need to do something "different", something I hadn't done in awhile, I started searching online for outdoor activities. What I found were posts about local Baltimore outdoor fitness groups, golf groups and various other "meetups". I'm not into Yoga or BootyCamp classes and I ain't Tiger Woods so that wasn't going to work. Nothing really clicked until I ran across this forum while stumbling down the path of what I like to refer to as "Internet A.D.D". I started reading the forums like a man possessed and I made up my mind while being stuck on the light rail after a Orioles game, "There's no day like today.."

I haven't rode a bike for about 10 years and all of the sudden I knew that's what I wanted to do :)

I did my homework and settled on a entry level bike from DSG and I actually bought it yesterday. The mechanic sized me up and told me a wealth of information that I had already learned here, so I felt that he was legit. Swiped the card and I was out the door. Rode the train and jumped off about 7 miles away from home and rode it like a boss :cool:, almost died 2 blocks away from the crib but I made it, feet didn't touch the ground till I hit the doorstep. Legs hurt so good that I fell asleep on the couch, bike in hand, haven't slept that good in 15 years.

Just wanted to say Thank you for your sharing your adventures and I hope to become a regular contributor as well. I'm still learning, riding solo for now till my kungfu is a little stronger,but this is the best time I've had in a long time, now if it will just stop raining...

View attachment 889298
Congrats on picking up the new bike. If you ever want to ride some trails, feel free send over a PM. There is a lot of great trails within driving distance. I like to ride a casual pace and its always fun to have a riding partner.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Welcome & good luck in your endeavor. I think the largest part of us, will leave large parts of us behind.
I find it great fun & exhilarating. Great sleep is just one benefit. Wait til your bp starts dropping & you grin just because you feel better than you ever thought you could.

·
Registered
137 Posts
You sound like me - about the same size. 6'1.5" and ballooned up to 350 sitting around at work (60mi commute and 10 hr days). A friend took a pic of me at a barbeque and when she showed me, I couldnt believe I was that fat. (Apparently that is a typical scenario.)

I am at 235 now, after about 2 yrs. I also walk at lunchtime at work - 2-4mi. Warms me up for my evening bike ride.

Just bought me a(nother) new bike and hoping to get to 200lbs this summer. It took awhile but I finally figured out what I wanted bike wise. I started with a FS mountain bike - the wrong thing for a fat man - and graduated to a Salsa Fargo. A fun all around bike. Now building up an all arounder based on a cyclocross frame.

I found that walking was a great way to build myself up some before seriously biking - and you can walk in the winter and be comfortable.

Also - stay off of Corn Beef Row! :)

Mike

Mike

·
Registered
138 Posts
BFB,

Glad to have you on the forum. Mountain biking is easily the most human powered fun you can have.

One thing you might consider is recording your rides with a GPS or sport tracking app on your smart phone. I use an app called Strava. This app allows you to track your progress on any given ride and/or segment of your ride and compares you to others that ride the same areas. you can also filter the comparisons by age, weight, etc.

I started a strava "club" for clydes to come together and keep each other motivated (see the link at the bottom of my post). We now have 70 hefty members from the US, UK, Australia and even Finland!

Join us!

Br80

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.