Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Sweet! I've been going there regularly with my 6yo daughter. I'm no expert, but seems like the place could be designed to flow a whole lot better. And some small tables with mellow transitions I think would help a lot for progressing skills.

If community help is wanted, I'll gladly pick up a shovel. If anyone has any info re: getting involved, please share.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Sweet! I've been going there regularly with my 6yo daughter. I'm no expert, but seems like the place could be designed to flow a whole lot better. And some small tables with mellow transitions I think would help a lot for progressing skills.

If community help is wanted, I'll gladly pick up a shovel. If anyone has any info re: getting involved, please share.
Basas definitely can use some table tops.
A rebuild would be so great!

That said, I wa there just this morning. And no tractor in sight :/
No signs abt construction etc either but maybe I just missed.

They did clear the mess of weeds over the last week.

If anyone has official word, let us know!

·
F*** it
1,277 Posts
Don't get your hopes up. I talked to a guy from Lake Cunningham that's helping Alex Fowler on this. He said they were mostly just cleaning it up and changing a few features.

·
Nobody
711 Posts
I'm no expert but I think that place sucks soooo bad. :)

And maintained even worse.
Yes, for sure. I'd love to have the original Calabazas back. The rad ass place I rode back in the late 80's and early 90's instead of all these cramped up vert jumps. Need some decent tables and progressive gaps.

i know it's not going to happen, but that's how I'll always remember the true Cali.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Alex said he has proposed to the city to completely redo the park in abt three years. Concrete for the beginner pump track and mtn bike features where current advanced section is.

Alex also wants folks to bring him and his team beer. 8am-3pm for next three weeks :)

·
always licking the glass
4,038 Posts
Alex said he has proposed to the city to completely redo the park in abt three years. Concrete for the beginner pump track and mtn bike features where current advanced section is.

Alex also wants folks to bring him and his team beer. 8am-3pm for next three weeks :)
I met Alex. He's a good guy. He designed a pump track around Santa Cruz that was pretty good a few years ago.

I hope he does something nice with Calabazas. The current "design" was done by a skater, according to the guys at Calabazas Cyclery, which is why there's no flow for it.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Yeah, yeah.... I guess a lot will hinge on this work and the community feedback. So let's give some feedback.

Maybe Alex is the one who ordered up all this rain. Yeah!!

·
Mtbr Founder
35,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
In about a week, it will be done. First phase is same layout, fix all the jumps and features.

Second phase in 1-2 years will be a complete redo of this place. Cap Wire fencing Mesh Hat Chain-link fencing

Soil Construction equipment Machine Bulldozer Composite material

Tree Standing Mammal People in nature Soil

Nature Brown Soil Landscape Tree

Soil Land lot Wire fencing Mud

Cap Soil Hat Dirt road Back

·
Registered
553 Posts
I was really hoping this would be better but it's not. It's already falling apart & loose. Hopefully it will be rebuilt in the coming years as proposed.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Anyone know whats going on with calabazas at the moment? The jumps are in by far the worst shape I've seen them in in the ten years I've been riding there.

Perhaps the city would consider a MBOSC like model where there are public maintenance days. Rebuilding the jumps periodically is pointless if they aren't properly maintained (they are actually now in much much worse shape than they were in before this year's rebuild). That being said, one jump is fenced off at the moment so maybe the city is finally starting to something new.

·
Premium Member
10,743 Posts
I rode Calabasas "Creek" in the mid to late 70's, it was just this dry creek bed back in the trees, teens hanging out being teens, you could drop into the creek and get air coming up the other side, table tops and 360's were the thing back then, ain't been there for decades, looks like it's a regular park now.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.