Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I have my Fatback set up for off-road adventures of all types (xc racing, sand and snow), I decided to rebuild my TommiSea Terrain Destroyer. I'm making it my "around town" bike. I don't think I have seen anyone tinker to much with these frames. I can't wait to see what the final weight comes out to be.

I had it powdercoated in a Lollypop Tangelo color. The base is a chrome paint and the top coat is the tangelo. In the sun it looks like orange chrome. The pic is crappy.

The wheels are from my Fatback and so is the carbon fork. I will be using a Shimano Nexus 3 speed hub. The brakes will be BB5's. I might go with a Paul Components thumb shifter. Off to find some matching rim strip :D

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The rear is 150mm. The hub choices suck unless you want to fork out $500+. I used to have a 135mm Alfine 8 speed hub on it with some spacers.

Yeah, I hated that huge front fork it came with. So...I used a used carbon fork from my parts bin (snicker). You can see it in the background of the pic.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
...I will be using a Shimano Nexus 3 speed hub. The brakes will be BB5's. I might go with a Paul Components thumb shifter...[/IMG]
Interesting project. Going to look good.

Are you sure the Paul's shifter will work with the Nexus? Hub gears need an indexed shifter or you can cause all sorts of internal damage to the hub.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How does it ride with such long stays? I think it would work well for flat sand riding, as there would be pretty even weight distribution because the back is so long. Yeah, forks are a bit "special"
Any more pics from before you stripped it?
It sucks at twisty off-road stuff. But, the ride is very stable and good for long trips (rail-to-trail type of rides) or around town. It kicks ass in the snow...it took me to 1st place at Snotcycle this year.

Here are some more pics before the current paint and when it had the Alfine hub. You can see where the chain rubbed on the tire. I had a 100mm rim on the back and 80mm up front. I don't expect that issue with my new setup using the UMA II rims.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting project. Going to look good.

Are you sure the Paul's shifter will work with the Nexus? Hub gears need an indexed shifter or you can cause all sorts of internal damage to the hub.
I'm not sure at all...hahaha. My LBS hates when I show up asking for parts because they have no experience with anything fat nor "wing" the matching of components. I really want an index shifter due to my aversion to grip shifters. An old school thumby seemed like the way to go. Your point is a good one and I will need to rethink my plan.

I found a Shimano Acera SL-M310 Rapid Fire Shifter (left mount/3-Speed). It might work. It's a 2-1 ratio. Anyone know what the Nexus 3 speed hub is? I can't find that anywhere.

·
Registered
390 Posts
this is an amazing coincidence...

i live in fort lauderdale & was out for a long road ride this a.m. on my skinny tire fixed gear bike & happened to stop into all bicycles in deerfield beach on my way home, to shoot the shyte with my buddy richard, the owner.

when i walked in, he & another guy were hunched over a really cool-looking monster bike with huge tires. my first thought was pugsley & when i asked if that was what it was, they both got really agitated & said this was much better.

turned out the guy was tommy coghill & the bike was a titanium terrain destroyer with a double chainring & an 11-speed igh & the company is also located in deerfield. what a beast, that thing looked about a mile long & like it is ready to roll right over any & everything.

so now that i got home i decided to look in this forum to see what else i could find out about tommysea fat sand bikes & what do i find? this current, active thread about one :thumbsup:

anyway, apparently all bicycles is now a distributor for them & they're letting him list bikes on fleabay. if anybody here is interested, here is a "base model" 8-speed version....
Fat Sand Bikes 8speed Terrain Destroyer | eBay

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.