Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
Joined
·
4,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doodooboi, Kavurider and myself headed up to Flag Saturday for some XC cruising. After hearing so much about SuperMoto and Secret we decided to head up Schultz to Secret, down Super and lower moto. I was definitely impressed by those trails. We did get some rain which cooled things nicely for about 10 minutes

I think we found the "Secret"......living Troy Lee wearing trees that were ready to attack unsuspecting Hawaiians!
 

Attachments

·
******ed or Branded??
Joined
·
2,095 Posts
That was a great ride besides the fact that I was dying from my one month of an hiatus from riding. First ride being a high elevation epic ride is not a good idea. But it was damd fun. Then the beers at the BEAVER St. Brewery was such a great ending to it all. Can't wait to get back up there.

Dang didn't know the cactus crew was out on eldong on the same day as we were there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,004 Posts
history lessons.

secret trail was "made" by myself and yod branch in 1988. it had been an old sheepherder trail, an extension of orion springs which had fallen into disrepair and was hardly visable anymore. sadly, the upper part which you show is schelduled for obliteration soon and the trail will be re-aligned along another trail built by myself and ty maat, "newham". enjoy it while you can, steve garro, coconino cycles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,749 Posts
coconinocycles said:
sadly, the upper part which you show is schelduled for obliteration soon and the trail will be re-aligned along another trail built by myself and ty maat, "newham". enjoy it while you can, steve garro, coconino cycles.
How come?
 

·
Kathleen in AZ
Joined
·
5,179 Posts
coconinocycles said:
secret trail was "made" by myself and yod branch in 1988. it had been an old sheepherder trail, an extension of orion springs which had fallen into disrepair and was hardly visable anymore. sadly, the upper part which you show is schelduled for obliteration soon and the trail will be re-aligned along another trail built by myself and ty maat, "newham". enjoy it while you can, steve garro, coconino cycles.
Hey Steve - I will miss that lovely piece of single track! It is a little slice of heaven that I look forward to all week long before my trips up to your corner of the state. Thanks for building it back then and for helping to build the new trail so that the owls can do their thing in peace. I'm sure the new trail will be good too given time and riders to work it in :D All you guys (and gals) up there just rock in my book!

-Kathleen
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,004 Posts
DurtGurl said:
Hey Steve - I will miss that lovely piece of single track! It is a little slice of heaven that I look forward to all week long before my trips up to your corner of the state. Thanks for building it back then and for helping to build the new trail so that the owls can do their thing in peace. I'm sure the new trail will be good too given time and riders to work it in :D All you guys (and gals) up there just rock in my book!

-Kathleen
thanks, kathleen! stop on by when you come up, i'm right off I-17 by ft. tutthill. the new alignment will be sweet, and part of the AZ trail. it will leave N. from sunset TH and go up orion springs, across newham and down the last 1/2 of secret. from there, it will go to the snowbowl road area and up to the ski area. allot is allready there in segments and will likely be linked this summer. steve.
 

·
PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
Joined
·
4,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
DurtGurl said:
Hey Steve - I will miss that lovely piece of single track! It is a little slice of heaven that I look forward to all week long before my trips up to your corner of the state. Thanks for building it back then and for helping to build the new trail so that the owls can do their thing in peace. I'm sure the new trail will be good too given time and riders to work it in :D All you guys (and gals) up there just rock in my book!

-Kathleen
Agreed, great job guys!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Rode Secret Tues. evening. Some peeps have been busy working up there. Secret has indeed been re-routed and obliterated, just after this pic

The trail is then routed down La Bomba (Hotshot). Off of La Bomba the option is to take a right on Newham, which is maybe the sweetest trail up there. Eventually you get to Upper Moto. We went down U. Moto, but I'm not sure if one could go up U. Moto and then go west on Secret.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
961 Posts
Secret shutdown

The "eastside" of Secret (a right turn @ the top of Super Moto) is just about shutdown completely from the Land of the Lost/Fern Alley/ Spotted Owlville section ( 150 ft from Friedlein Prairie Rd) all the way out to the road junction with West Orion Springs. Forest Service and CREC were out today obliterating and dropping obstacles again................the new sections/reroutes are close to being finished up and connected and should be pretty decent but it won't be the same,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,21+ years of sweet Secret singeltrack riding all now just great memories,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,thanks for the good times Secret Trail
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,004 Posts
sendero secreto esta muerto - muy triste.

elrancho66 said:
The "eastside" of Secret (a right turn @ the top of Super Moto) is just about shutdown completely from the Land of the Lost/Fern Alley/ Spotted Owlville section ( 150 ft from Friedlein Prairie Rd) all the way out to the road junction with West Orion Springs. Forest Service and CREC were out today obliterating and dropping obstacles again................the new sections/reroutes are close to being finished up and connected and should be pretty decent but it won't be the same,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,21+ years of sweet Secret singeltrack riding all now just great memories,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,thanks for the good times Secret Trail
it's true. it's all connected, and as it's great singletrack, it definately falls into the new "generic" catagory that the trail crews here are conforming the network into. it all sorta looks and feels the same. the best was having a motorcycle rider tell me last saterday that he made the trail and has been riding it for 15 years when it was one i made from scratch 21 years ago :confused: go figure. good thing i have bigger problems.........steve.
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top