Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
HMFIC
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The Rat Fink (my new Quiring) - Build Pics/Details Added!

Another fine job by Scott Quiring. Hope to have it built up and crankin' away sometime this weekend. Jen Green's contribution fit the bill nicely too, don'tcha think?

(See post #30 for details of the build, more pics, and additional "oh gee, check out mah new ride" crap...)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
WoW!

:thumbsup: That DOES look nice.

Is it Ti?

I ride one of his Q-ball steel frames.....sweet ride.

Enjoy.

·
HMFIC
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
OK, since gearless let the cat out of the bag, here's some more pics of the frame. Hope to get it built up this weekend if everything comes together.

To some of the questions:

-Yes, the frame is Ti. The "Punisher" frame that Scott built me last year was an all-raw-Ti finish, I wanted to do something fun with this one. The custom unicrown rigid fork is steel, with some nice Wright dropouts fillet brazed on to pick up on the flanged/hooded slider drops at the rear of the bike. It's not as tall as it appears in one of the pics, but it is indeed suspension-corrected for an 80mm WB/Fox. I'll build it initially with the rigid and swap on a Fox F29 80mm sometime this summer to give it a whirl.

-Jen Green is indeed the maker of the nice headbadge surround. I saw some of her work on other custom bikes here at MTBR and contacted her when I decided that this project could benefit from some of her fine work. She was a pleasure to work with and seemed to readily understand the goal and overall look I was after. Lots of examples of her work on her website here.

Attachments

·
HMFIC
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Although he was in his hey-day a little (only a little) before my time, I was always fascinated by the art and designs of Ed "Big Daddy" Roth. I've always been into hot rods and drag cars, so the bizarre car/monster art of Roth was something that I found particularly cool. Roth's trademark character (for those not familiar) was a big green rat called "Rat Fink." The idea behind the graphics and the overall look of the frame was to blend together my love of classic hot rods (the fade flame paintwork), my admiration of Roth's work (the Rat Fink), and a touch of the rat-rod vibe by leaving the back half of the bike in raw Ti.

Self-indulgent? A "purty bike?" Sure, but who said this whole thing shouldn't/can't be fun? I'm pretty stoked about how it all came out, and as mentioned earlier I look forward to getting it built up and on some singletrack. I haven't ridden SS since last fall when I hung gears on the Punisher, and I honestly miss it. I asked a lot of Scott Q. with this project, and he did a great job of trying to help turn some sketches and goofy ideas into reality.

More pics when The Fink is ready to ride...

·
Bicyclist
2,849 Posts
The Fink looks great

Synchronicity: I just bought some of the Rat Fink socks from REI. :D

http://www.rei.com/outlet/product/768794

SBK said:
Although he was in his hey-day a little (only a little) before my time, I was always fascinated by the art and designs of Ed "Big Daddy" Roth. I've always been into hot rods and drag cars, so the bizarre car/monster art of Roth was something that I found particularly cool. Roth's trademark character (for those not familiar) was a big green rat called "Rat Fink." The idea behind the graphics and the overall look of the frame was to blend together my love of classic hot rods (the fade flame paintwork), my admiration of Roth's work (the Rat Fink), and a touch of the rat-rod vibe by leaving the back half of the bike in raw Ti.

Self-indulgent? A "purty bike?" Sure, but who said this whole thing shouldn't/can't be fun? I'm pretty stoked about how it all came out, and as mentioned earlier I look forward to getting it built up and on some singletrack. I haven't ridden SS since last fall when I hung gears on the Punisher, and I honestly miss it. I asked a lot of Scott Q. with this project, and he did a great job of trying to help turn some sketches and goofy ideas into reality.

More pics when The Fink is ready to ride...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Wow. I was planning to have my Hifo Pro 29er front triangle painted with an orange flame fade this winter with a Rat Fink logo ( always dug Roth ). I guess I won't be the first now...but I know if will look good.

·
'Calm Down'
855 Posts
Wow, that turned out great. :thumbsup:
What time are we riding this weekend? Poto? ;)

jw

·
Registered
845 Posts
You win!!!!! That's the coolest F'n frame I have seen here to date. I really love the frame fade to raw ti. I've had a similar scheme cooking in my head for awhile with slightly different color choices. Just my opinion but that bike would be over the top with a set of I9's with a gold to orange to red fade. And an Eriksen ti post with mango caps would top it off. I really love the frame, looking forward to seeing the finished product.

·
HMFIC
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Schultz29 said:
Just my opinion but that bike would be over the top with a set of I9's with a gold to orange to red fade. And an Eriksen ti post with mango caps would top it off. I really love the frame, looking forward to seeing the finished product.
No I9's on this one, just a good 'ol set of Stans on mango Kings. The Eriksen post should be on its way to me today, so we're thinkin' the same way there.

Dunno jw, depends on when I get it together. I need to get some bars back to you, so maybe we can hook up for a ride this weekend.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.