Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been playing around on the 1x1 I'm taking to the SSEC in Ireland, and I've fattened up the front.

This improves the bike no end (well front end :) ).

It's been done with 40mm rims so the Larry tyre at about 86mm just fits into some normal width forks (not the 1x1 forks though).

With it being a 1x1, there's a lot more clearance for the tyre at the rear than normal mtbs, but just not quite enough to fit a Larry. Now if the rear was just a wee bit wider, a set of 4" fatbike tyres on 40mm rims would fit the bike front and rear. The point being that this could be done with "normal" mtb components, eg normal Q factor BB, and symmetrical 135mm frame. It could be built really light.

Obviously this would not be a fatbike as we know it, but even the fatfront setup I have here feels better than my 29ers.

I'm going to keep my eye out for a dinged 1x1 frame to see if its possible to brutalise the chainstays enough to fit a Larry mounted on 40mm rims.

I don't know whether to call such a bike a Quasi-Fat or a Skinny-Fat. What do you folk think?

(I keep mentioning 40mm rims because that's what I happen to have, and I've been running fat tyres on them on my summer bike for the past 3 years).

·
will rant for food
3,975 Posts
Respectfully, no I don't think there is room. Too many categories of things as is currently. I like to read the monstercross thread sometimes because every 5 pages, up comes an argument about what is monstercross.

Frankenbikes? Absolutely, you bet. They tickle me. But they live across the whole spectrum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4c78PZRsHs

·
will rant for food
3,975 Posts
BTW - you inspired my, uh, "road bike". Started life as a CX bike, "slammed" it with some 26er Big Apples, wide rims, dyno hub, and a Rido R2 saddle.

Doesn't go fast, but you can sit on the thing comfortably all damn day.

IMG_20140417_164337.jpg
IMG_20140417_164400.jpg

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
there's enough clearance to house the DW 2.75's yes? wish there was a full suss 1x1.
So I believe. I have a set of DWs on order, but I got fed up waiting, so that's why I have done this.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
BTW - you inspired my, uh, "road bike". Started life as a CX bike, "slammed" it with some 26er Big Apples, wide rims, dyno hub, and a Rido R2 saddle.

Doesn't go fast, but you can sit on the thing comfortably all damn day.

View attachment 886384
View attachment 886385
A new category of 'fatbike'?

With the advent of 29+ & 26+ wheeled bikes...they do seem to be an orphan category. I would also include those hobbled together machines dressed in tires and wheels not originally intended.

If...a category were to be created...refer to it as PLUS SIZE...or to break it down further...HOMESTYLE PLUS SIZE?

What people, particularly those of a fatbike mindset do to extend the bounds of their bikes, fat or not, I find interesting. You never know what one persons idea may inspire in another. So please, don't be hesitant to share.

Drew; you have got to tell us about that seat! I recall reading about them some time ago...forget the brand. How do you like it...etc.

·
will rant for food
3,975 Posts
Drew; you have got to tell us about that seat! I recall reading about them some time ago...forget the brand. How do you like it...etc.
Someone here recommended it to me, I don't recall who.

Pro: no perineal numbness. Had this setup with drops at one point, only truly comfortable drop bar bike I've ever ridden, period. I frequently have my cockpit setup with my bars at my saddle or above because of this problem, I do NOT like that sensation in my nether regions at all.

Con: Hard to stay in one place. I reposition forward/backward frequently.

Con: Dude who recommended uses it on his fatty, but I couldn't see taking this thing off road. Can't get my thighs past very easily when trying to descend steep stuff. I prefer dropper posts off road and I still will make that statement about this saddle. It is wide.

·
turtles make me hot
11,484 Posts
How about a Knard or Dirt Wizard on a 26" Rabbit Hole? I believe that will fit on that frame.

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How about a Knard or Dirt Wizard on a 26" Rabbit Hole? I believe that will fit on that frame.
That is a very workable option. But it's the long wait for the Dirt Wizards that lead to me doing this. I've discovered I just don't like skinny tyres any more, so rather than ride on 2.3" tyres while waiting for the DWs, I've done this, liked it, so then got to thinking how good it would be with that almost fat Larry tyre set up front and rear.

Just stick with a Pug frame then fit what ever wheel size/tyre combo you want!
Nah, you know how bad the offset on the Pug makes the bike handle*, and how you keep shredding kittens as a result. I believe some Pug owners even pull a trailer to carry all the dead kittens.

*This is not true, but it's a good way to stir up Pug owners. Oops, I've got one too... :)

·
is buachail foighneach me
6,589 Posts
Pat Irwin cut and welded a 1x1 back in the early 2000's to fit an Endo on LM. I had enough clearance for 26x3 on 70mm rims on a Karate Monkey. I'm not sure how much more one could realistically manipulate the stays on those bikes to get more clearance.

I posed a question in a similar vein on the frame builders forum a few years ago.

http://forums.mtbr.com/frame-building/palms-foreheads-please-573052.html

·
This place needs an enema
15,700 Posts
Pat Irwin cut and welded a 1x1 back in the early 2000's to fit an Endo on LM. I had enough clearance for 26x3 on 70mm rims on a Karate Monkey. I'm not sure how much more one could realistically manipulate the stays on those bikes to get more clearance.

I posed a question in a similar vein on the frame builders forum a few years ago.

http://forums.mtbr.com/frame-building/palms-foreheads-please-573052.html
I don't remember him cutting/welding it. I thought he just got medieval on it with a pipe and a hammer?

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
1x1 fits 3" gazzaloddis on 40nm rim.
so just wait until the 26x3" knards come out!
I am...

·
Registered
846 Posts
I not only think there's room for "quasi fat," but personally think it will be more mainstream than full-fat in another couple of years. (I just get tired of the marketing hype that goes with such "labels.") After being ruined by fat bikes, I honestly don't think I'd ever buy another mountain bike that couldn't fit a 2.75 or 3" tire. Between the knards and pending dirt wizards and the fact that several companies are coming out with 650b "plus" sizes , I'm not sure why id need to. Im like you and keep finding that fatter is better for me. Even my road bike now even has 1.75" tires on it..

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
...After being ruined by fat bikes, I honestly don't think I'd ever buy another mountain bike that couldn't fit a 2.75 or 3" tire.

... Im like you and keep finding that fatter is better for me. Even my road bike now even has 1.75" tires on it..
Ruined is the word. :)

I don't actually need another fatbike (got 3), and I'm keen to find out how much I like the DWs when they finally arrive here.

I wouldn't bother normally, but I'm quite attached to this 1x1 because I've had it so long, so finding out how good it is with the fat tyre is a bonus.

That lead to thinking how much better a light, tight, almost fatbike would be for summer instead of a 29er.

(My roadbike has been wearing 2.3" Big Apples for the last 2 years (using a 29er frame) - that's how much I like the fat. :) )

Thanks for the link sean, did you ever do it?

This looks like a bit of welding was involved - I would be using narrower rims, so I wouldn't need as much clearance.

... I thought he just got medieval on it with a pipe and a hammer?
Sounds like my type of technique, although my usual tool for this sort of thing is a car jack. :)

·
is buachail foighneach me
6,589 Posts
Never did. Greg loaned me a Fatback before I had the chance. It was all over when that happened. If I want to run fat now, all I need to consider are wheelsets with different rim sizes, not butchering a frame I enjoy.

·
All fat, all the time.
9,004 Posts
People will always mess around with doing goofy things to bikes. I don't think we need a category for everything ;)

Heck, we have offset fat, centered fat, skinny fat (4"), wide fat 5", now squishy fat.
Lol.

Maybe we need to consolidate to retro grouchy fat, and happy fat riders.

:)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts