Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone-

Here's my question...I've noticed my rear tire has been getting low on pressure from time to time. Last trip to the trail, I bought a cool little mini pump from a shop at the trailhead. When riding over rock gardens and roots, do tires 'empty' little by little? Is this what a "pinch flat" is? I'm a bigger guy, and I've never 'blown' a tire, in the traditional sense. The pump came with a bracket to mount it to my frame...is this the norm? Or do people tend to bring the pump only for all day rides?

Thanks all!

·
Registered
301 Posts
peterjames said:
Here's my question...I've noticed my rear tire has been getting low on pressure from time to time. Last trip to the trail, I bought a cool little mini pump from a shop at the trailhead. When riding over rock gardens and roots, do tires 'empty' little by little?
Tires do loose some air over time but not usually during a ride. If you loosing air in short amount of time, then you most like have a very small hole in your tube.

peterjames said:
Is this what a "pinch flat" is? I'm a bigger guy, and I've never 'blown' a tire, in the traditional sense.
No, a pinch flat is when the tube is punctured by being "pinched" against the rim and the bead of the tires. Pinch flats are some times called "snakebite" because you'll likely end up with a set of parallel slits in your tube (which looks like a snakebite).

peterjames said:
The pump came with a bracket to mount it to my frame...is this the norm?

Yes, most min-pumps normally come with frame mounts.

peterjames said:
Or do people tend to bring the pump only for all day rides?
A lot of people carry emergency kits which includes things like pump/CO2, patch kit, spare tube, multi-tools, chain pin/power link, ect.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.