Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It rained last night and this morning pretty good. So today was the first time i got Sioux out into the wet. I dropped the air pressure in her phatties down to less than 10psi in the front and about 10psi in the rear, went out for a bit before work/on the way to work and got to know the meaning of "the Pug crawl". she's on big monster for sure. when the psi is dropped down low like that, she needs extra oommph to change momentum. with that in mind i quickly reverted to some old tacticle off road driving skills. and thats mainly keeping consistant power to the wheels and using a combination of brake and power at the same time to get the bite/traction maneauverability desired. in that aspect Sioux is a tank! and she seriously gets over a ton of things. simply amazing! She didnt hesitate at anything.
the other day i swapped out the brake rotors and now she's got 203mm in the front with 185mm in the rear. Im still breaking in the new front rotor, and once thats nicely worn in she'll have an amazing amount of braking power! for sure, some of her strong points are obviously those phat tyres and brakes. basically she really shines when it comes to climbing over stuff like slick roots, muddy sections, anything loose, and anything steep in either ascent or descent.
some of the more demanding aspects of her nature are high speed technical single track. in this aspect she really is a big monster to wrassle, but once you get into your grove on her, she really moves out. its easy to get a bit over your head with her tho. its easy to get her goin real fast, and being that she aint got suspension, and you regress back to the finer aspects of bike handling skills, found back in the day when suspension wasnt an option. in many ways she's like cranking it out on the rigid SS (single shot pistola) where your definately about keeping the bike on the tops of the bumps, bunnyhoping alot of things, and trying to stay loos on the bike. Sioux is much like that, but those tyres give a bunch, only followed by some serious undampened rebound. I've had her buck up both wheels pretty good. Im sure the use of the thudbuster seatpost helps exacerbate the pre-condition. in the end its real fun. its real fun to get her bucking like this in combination with using those massive brakes, and keeping the pedal pressure on. she definately comes alive. she's a big enough bike to necesitate actual driving skills. unlike other bikes where their lightweight demeanor is easily over come with rider input. The experience on Sioux is something in between a motorcycle and a bicycle. that is...in some ways you are in command, but in others, driving skills definately are necessary.

enjoy the pics. from the other day. need to find a tripod and digi cam with remote.

Attachments

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
Pugsley is a great name for the model, but I agree, riding one at speed is more of a pitbull experience than a pug one. They need a firm hand and lots of input to stay in control. Sure are a lot of fun, though.

I'm wondering if the mods need to make a pugsley forum. There are things the owners and the curious can share about wheels, bike setup, transport etc. that can just get lost in the 29er fourm because there is so much traffic here.

·
Baked Alaskan
1,810 Posts
or...

Bob the Wheelbuilder said:
I'm wondering if the mods need to make a pugsley forum. There are things the owners and the curious can share about wheels, bike setup, transport etc. that can just get lost in the 29er fourm because there is so much traffic here.
What about a Surly forum? It would surely be more popular than the DB/ Raleigh forum or the K2 forum.

3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
pug forum?

I think a pug specific forum would be a good idea. I have no idea how much interest there is in this bike. My background goes something like this, 24hr solo racing, road double centuries, semi hobo life for 1.5yrs with bob trailer and tipi, im another "no car" guy, and the Pug hit the spot for a truck. I had been using a 2000 C-dale F900 for the past 5yrs, and its taken one heck-a-of a beating, and has eaten up a ton of parts. I quickly realized that i was in need of a product line something like "Expedition", compared to XC, DH, etc.

currently I'm wondering about a tubeless system for the pug. The pro's and con's, repair, durability, etc. then of course there is a consideration for the tyre volume and what pump to carry when out in the boonies. so far, i've had some success with the Cyclaire.

either way; i love that Pug. tomorrow I'm gonna try to get 60miles on it.

·
2,822 Posts
I bet a Pug forum would really benefit sales of this bike. How about a Snow/Beach bike forum? I'll shoot the powers that be a message.

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
2melow said:
I bet a Pug forum would really benefit sales of this bike. How about a Snow/Beach bike forum? I'll shoot the powers that be a message.
I agree this is a great way to go, rather than to restrict to just Pugsley owners.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Maybe it should be a Fat Tire forum

This would cover Pugleys, bikes with Snowcats or Gazzaloddis, beach cruisers.

Certainly the common theme is the different handling involved with soft terrain and large tires.

BTW
Just a thought but I wish Surly would create a stock Pugsley complete bike.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.