Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 357 Posts

·
Mtbr Founder
35,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started this same topic in a regional forum but wanted to bring this up here as well:

So I was at the local trail - club ride on Wednesday. A good friend said he was not drinking beer and I asked why. He said he got a post-ride DUI on Highway 85 on Dec 27. Two and half good beers for his 170lb body got him to .08 blood/alcohol level.

His life has been turned upside down with $7k expenses so far, jail, pending trial and 20 days of labor possible. I talked to him for 20 minutes and got all the details.

Things I learned:

- 2 .5 IPAs, post-ride got him to .08 level

- 6 months of misery until it's all behind him

- about 20 days of duty, usually labor clean-up. Community service will be around double that since easier work

- CHP treated him like a career criminal

- the longer you wait for the breathalyzer test, the more your blood alcohol rises for about 3 hours

- after Jan 1, 2019, they need to install an expensive breathalyzer device on your car to start it.

- can take away your license on the spot, before trial

- Just because you're under .08, doesn't mean you're in the clear.

So this is just a share of what I learned a couple days ago. If you have more info to add/correct, please do so. It is a tough subject since it's part of what we do... ie, me.

We try to drink responsibly and this is the first-case (that I know of) in my circle. The shame/guilt is intense so I'm glad he shared with me.

Thoughts? You have a post-ride beer at the parking lot, brewery or not at all? Glass bottle Bottle Alcohol Alcoholic beverage Drink

·
since 4/10/2009
34,888 Posts
For me? Almost never in the parking lot. And if I do, it's only one low abv beer if available. I'll go somewhere post-ride where I can ALSO get food, though. Still usually just a single beer because dehydration and beer is never a good combo. But combined with some reasonably hearty food like a burger or a burrito or something and more time, driving home is not an issue.

·
Super Moderator
4,947 Posts
I always look at the alcohol content (ie avoid the big beers) and if I'm driving it's two beers max over ~3 hours if I'm also eating.

Otherwise 1 beer and switch to water.

I should add, I'm no saint and have made mistakes.. though luckily I've never hurt anyone or been convicted of a DUI.

How strong were the IPA that your buddy was drinking?

·
Bikesexual
7,568 Posts
I'm usually alone, so nope. I also need food, at 150lbs one beer after a ride will get me to DUI status.

You just can't take those chances these days.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For me? Almost never in the parking lot. And if I do, it's only one low abv beer if available. I'll go somewhere post-ride where I can ALSO get food, though. Still usually just a single beer because dehydration and beer is never a good combo. But combined with some reasonably hearty food like a burger or a burrito or something and more time, driving home is not an issue.
Yeah, thanks for the share.

Yes, looking at the ABV is huge!!! In the US, they always show the alcohol percentage. In other countries, not so much. Homebrew is common in my circles too and I always ask the brewer.

Some double IPAs that are very, very good have double the alcohol of what they taste like. Belgians are dangerous too.

Something interesting is I have NO idea what my blood alcohol level is. Does anybody know??? Is there a consumer device that would tell us? I bet if I had that in the parking lot beer session, folks would be very interested to know what the actual data is.

fc

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,281 Posts
Something interesting is I have NO idea what my blood alcohol level is. Does anybody know??? Is there a consumer device that would tell us? I bet if I had that in the parking lot beer session, folks would be very interested to know what the actual data is.

fc
Seems like that a product like that would be a huge liability for whoever produces it. Just imagine testing at .04 on your personal reader and then johnny law comes by and you test .10 on their reader. Bad news

·
Read Only
2,175 Posts
Never post ride. Only at home when it's late and I don't need to drive out. Never been drunk either, so...

fc
Buy yourself a breathalyzer.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,517 Posts

·
Perpetual Hack
2,193 Posts
<edit> Sniped by Jayem with a more succinct answer.

This may not hold fully for all jurisdictions but in a lot of cases....
You can be still be charged with impaired if you are under the legal maximum.
Over the legal maximum it a given, under it is at the officers discretion.
If you are showing obvious signs of impairment, you do not have to be over the alcohol limit. Same for any impairing substance, from cold meds to smack, or any combination including sleep deprivation.

With a Chief of Police for a Grandfather, a cop father, and a cop older brother, I had this drilled into me starting long before I got my licence.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
This is why I have strategically made myself weigh 250lbs..... (and try to keep to Coors Original or Miller Lite).

In all seriousness, this is a good topic and yes I have thought about it plenty....... and I'm sure I've overdone it a few times as well. I am pretty conscious of it though and try to be responsible. I find only bringing 2 (or 4 if sharing) beers with in a small cooler helps. Bringing a case of beer with is just asking for trouble.

Is it weird that I pretty much ONLY drink after rides anymore? I think I had the same 12-pack in my fridge all winter. I really have no desire to drink anymore unless it's after a ride (or trail building)! Weird.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
fc, what do you mean by this, "- Just because you're under .08, doesn't mean you're in the clear."
So what I understand is this. If you take the breathalyzer test and score a .07, the officer can still handcuff you and take you to jail and impound your car.

Then you'll probably do a blood test in jail and get the definitive answer. So, not a DUI but still a night in the slammer.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The other minor, bike-related detail is... you can't go to Whistler anymore from the US.

They will not let you in at the border.

Significant efforts can result in visa/pleas/permissions can be granted for entry into Canada if one is very motivated. But folks with DUI waltzing up to Whistler are in for a surprise.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The picture, the beers, drinking in a parking lot, “treated like a career criminal” comment... I literally hate the term “white privilege” but that’s what is coming to mind for me when I read the OP. If you can’t do the time, don’t do the crime.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Generally one beer. We lost a family member to a selfish fool behind the wheel as a reminder of why I try to not mess up. If I have more than one beer it is spread out over a while.

·
Registered
462 Posts
The other minor, bike-related detail is... you can't go to Whistler anymore from the US.

They will not let you in at the border.

Significant efforts can result in visa/pleas/permissions can be granted for entry into Canada if one is very motivated. But folks with DUI waltzing up to Whistler are in for a surprise.
This^
I live in Buffalo just a stones throw from the Canadian border. Many a person has been surprised (and embarrassed) when they are denied entry into Canada due to a DWI/DUI from decades ago.

and a far as the length of time for the negative consequences go, I know some consultants with government contracts and security clearances that will be pulled (in which case you may easily loose your job) if they are even charged with dwi/dui.

Worth the risk?

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
45,668 Posts
Just an FYI getting to a .08 is pretty much just a couple of sips with most alcohol drinks. Especially if there’s no food in your system. They made it this low to prevent the huge problem of under the influence driving. Get one DUI and you’ll learn quickly and DUI’s are a HUGE money grab for the state. Most of us love a good beer and some grub after a ride but it’s not worth it as you’ve found out from what your buddy is going through.

1 - 20 of 357 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.