Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is just the start, i've been frightened to get started on the bike after the 24 Hours (8 Hours for me) of Cool race. This is just the start and explains why my front brakes were fading and I had no rear brakes on my last lap...

I'm pretty sure you are not supposed to see the piston poking through where the brake pad should be...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,633 Posts
whoa.......that is just plain awesome....and scary at the same time....

I only did one lap....and am now frightened to tear down my rig....ugh

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
This weekends weather was a boom for our water supply as well as the local bike shops! I just dropped mine off to get the brakes fixed.

·
Uncle
4,304 Posts
Thanks all. I was feeling sorry for myself for missing this event until now. If I'm lucky enough to get there in '10, it won't be before building up a beater. Anyone racing a cross bike out there this time 'round?

·
bike dork extraordinaire
628 Posts
Ouch!

Luckily I still had a sliver of pad left in the rear, so no damage to my brakes. I did have to rebuild my crossmax rear hub, re-lube all the cables, check the pivot bearings, and replace the brake pads. And I was riding a brand new bike!! :eek:

If its wet next year, an old beater will be the ticket indeed.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I rode the simplest bike i own a rigid 29er SS. I have to replace all 4 pads, the headset is iffy at the moment, the one pedal is seized and the bottom bracket is crunchy, chain will be replaced and all my cables and housing will get replaced.

Attachments

·
Natural body armor
2,176 Posts
Koolstop on my Formula Oro proved to be really good. Front pads were already 50% before the start and I got them to the metal in 3 laps. Rear pads were new and the still look ok.

Now, I suspect some people brake too much...
ZT

·
aka Jesse Palmer
857 Posts
I think it was more of a matter luck: how much mud happened to fall directly into your caliper...

·
Lusus Naturae
2,874 Posts
Marco, something doesnt look right with that brake pad. Lots of pad left on the top section but scraping metal below? Sure you got the right setup for them thar breaks? ;)

Zen_Turtle said:
Koolstop on my Formula Oro proved to be really good. Front pads were already 50% before the start and I got them to the metal in 3 laps. Rear pads were new and the still look ok.

Now, I suspect some people brake too much...
ZT

·
Natural body armor
2,176 Posts
NoBalance said:
Marco, something doesnt look right with that brake pad. Lots of pad left on the top section but scraping metal below? Sure you got the right setup for them thar breaks? ;)
There was plenty of mud/gunk between the bottom part of the pad and the piston, and that's why the uneven wear.

the 'lip' you see at the top is because the KS don't seem to be a perfect match on the Oro brakes (don't see that with Oro pads)

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
okay, so it turns out I did run down to the metal on one of my pads. Not as bad as the above, but really glad I didn't go out for another lap (or even rode them tomorrow without checking).

·
Pedal smarter, not harder
46 Posts
I serviced mine last night

That was my first 24hr race and I had a blast! I got in 4 laps on a 4 man team.
I burned through 2 sets of metalic pads, 1 WTB Motoraptor tire, both sets of Enduro bearings in my rear hub, I re-built my ENO freewheel, but I'm pretty sure it's toast. I still need to change the oil and seals in my Fox fork. The old school UN91 XTR square taper BB is still spinning smooth, same with the King headset. I still think I got off pretty easy by going with the one speed bike. I know there are many people out there spending $$$! on their squishy geared bikes. See you at the 8hrs of Knickerbocker in October!

·
Lusus Naturae
2,874 Posts
Finally got around to cleaning up the bike. I had changed the rear brake pads recently and they're almost in perfect shape. Front pads are also in great shape.

Here's some carnage though only superficial!

coolest24.JPG

·
Natural body armor
2,176 Posts
NoBalance said:
Finally got around to cleaning up the bike. I had changed the rear brake pads recently and they're almost in perfect shape. Front pads are also in great shape.

Here's some carnage though only superficial!
Well if you haven't done so I recommend you look inside your bottom bracket. I found about a quarter pound of mud in it (and a frozen BB bearing for now)

·
Eduardo Naranja
479 Posts
On my SS, the BB bearing, rear hub bearing and headset (!) all in bad shape after the mud bath. I've been meaning to get different cranks anyway.... Oh, and a working front fork.... argh... cha-ching!! :madman:

·
Lusus Naturae
2,874 Posts
Just got my Crankset replaced (replaced m960 xtr with m970 xtr) and the old parts looked fine except for a bit of dust/dirt particles here and there. I let the shop replace it so not sure what else if anything is wrong. probably nothing. xtr is the shite! :)

I replaced it because the middle ring was finally seeing enough wear to cause chainsuck when i put a new chain on it (the old worn down chain was doing just fine... isnt that how it works though? weird).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts