Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I woke up this morning thinking that my tired old Avalanche frame needed to get looking more bling today. After some quick research I made my way to the local hardware store where I picked up:
-Paint Remover
-Scotchbrite pads
-fine steel wool (#0)
-protective gloves
-Mothers Aluminum polish
-Nevrdull

Heres the Avalanche before

After applying the paint stripper let it sit for about 30 min then go to town with the scotchbrite pads

Tested out the Mothers polish on a small spot

After the first application of polish

After the 6th application (and 8 hours later)- as good as it gets for now

GT..... HAIL TO THE KING BABY!

This is my first stripped and polished frame, I thought it turned out really well
I can't wait to build it back up.... now I have 2 GT's in my quiver of bikes
GT ROCKS!!!!

·
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah my arms and fingers where pretty sore and stained black from the polish, but its all worth it in the end.
Now I need to get me some sweet GT decals and build it up

·
Misfit Psycles
2,772 Posts
RatchAttack said:
Yeah my arms and fingers where pretty sore and stained black from the polish, but its all worth it in the end.
Now I need to get me some sweet GT decals and build it up
You can see if, by chance, there is something left floating around BUT this is from the GT site:
Q: How can I get replacement decals for my bike? I'm repainting it and I want it to look like new -

A: Unfortunately, original frame decals and stickers for pre-bankruptcy bikes are no longer available, and all new products come clear coated from the factory, eliminating the need for replacement decal sheets.
So why not try Genesis Cycles - I assume they are still doing GT in Canada.

Otherwise I'd send a pic direct to GT in Madison...you never know...maybe...

Either way that's an awesome job and it won't suffer at all if it never gets decals!

·
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
nogearshere said:
You can see if, by chance, there is something left floating around BUT this is from the GT site:

Either way that's an awesome job and it won't suffer at all if it never gets decals!
I might be in luck, the manager of the local GT dealer said he may have some NOS GT sticker sheets lying around, something of the likes you'd see on e-bay.
hopefully it works out for me.

·
Registered
554 Posts
No decals, that frame is sweet as it stands. The only decal that should touch that frame is a headtube badge, preferably with zero colour, just black.

That looks so good.

I think I need to strip my truck's paint and shine it up like that.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Wow, lots of work there, looks wicked!!

I love polished frames, super easy to clean and there's no paint to get scratched!

I used to use NeverDull but recently picked up a small (and expensive) container of Mother's Billet at Cnd Tire. It works so well I'll never use the Never Dull again, there was no comparison.

·
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
HubbaMan said:
Wow, lots of work there, looks wicked!!

I love polished frames, super easy to clean and there's no paint to get scratched!

I used to use NeverDull but recently picked up a small (and expensive) container of Mother's Billet at Cnd Tire. It works so well I'll never use the Never Dull again, there was no comparison.
I also found that the Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish worked alot better than the Nevrdull, the shine was much better. Shes looking mighty good now after 10 polish jobs. I'll have to post some more pics when its built up.

·
Banned
2,989 Posts
nogearshere said:

The guy that goes by "Felzno" on eBay. He's your go to guy for decals. Only has originals but I think on the Avalanches he's down to the 97 model year only. E-mail Paul at [email protected] and ask him. He's also got a Yahoo Group called "GT decals".

·
Banned
2,989 Posts
Just remember....you now have a polished frames. If you live near a salty shoreline keep close tabs on it. It's not Ball Burnished so it will take some upkeep and it will oxidize and tarnish more easily...so it will require some maintenance. Ball Burnishing is a different process altogether. The surface is actually shot-peened with ball bearings so it's harder on the surface.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts