Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a more active shock for my FSR XC, 4" travel bike. I currently have an 02 Fox Float (1.5 x 6.5). Any suggestions?

·
I already rode that
1,632 Posts
pocketplayer said:
I'm looking for a more active shock for my FSR XC, 4" travel bike. I currently have an 02 Fox Float (1.5 x 6.5). Any suggestions?
A coil spring shock would be more "active". One that doesnt have any type of pedal damping thing or whatnot.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Coil is plusher. I am light weight rider and never had luck with getting a plush ride out of the air shocks I rode as of 2 years ago, been on coil since then.

I used to ride an 01 FSRxc with a Fox Float R and never could tune the rear end to be plush to my taste.

But like I said, what I know of air shocks is dated knowledge. I know Fox makes air shocks that are more linear in their stroke, but haven't tried them.

6.5x1.5 is a popular shock size, so you're in luck. You can picking up a used Fox Vanilla R shock as a test. I know the RS Deluxe Coils sell for cheaper than the Foxes. I know people diss the RS shocks, but I have them on my Giant AC and my current Catamount and have liked them. Rebound is key, so make sure you get one with it.

·
Registered
804 Posts
pocketplayer said:
Thanks for the responses. What about the plushest air shock?
I don't think you'll find any AIR shock that is noticably more plush than the float. You want plush get a coil shock. Or maybe one of those gel seat pad covers.

·
Registered
804 Posts
[]D[][]v[][]D said:
Adding an AVA sleeve to a Fox Float will make it feel plusher.....
I guess I associate "plush" with how a coil will absorb even a little pebble. You can put a bigger air chamber on it, but it still has to overcome that initial stiction that is inherant with the design. I haven't ever felt a rear air shock that felt as smooth as coil.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
[]D[][]v[][]D said:
Adding an AVA sleeve to a Fox Flopat will make in feel plusher.....
Try the AVA upgrade first, its your cheapest option <a href="http://shop.hammerheadbikes.com/site/itemdetails.cfm?ID=446&Catalog=47&sort=Price">Link</a> and offers a surprising range of "feel" in its volume adjustments.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does push = plush?

I thought that the push mod had more to do with giving you a stable platform which is better than propedal. Does it make your ride plusher as well?

·
Beyond the stars
745 Posts
Hello, McFly, is anybody in there . . .

pocketplayer just doesn't seem to get it!

It doesn't matter HOW you ask, or WHO you ask the answers are ALL going to be about the same!

Did you ever notice how some people will keep asking the same question, just phrase it a different way UNTIL THEY GET THE ANSWER THEY ARE LOOKING FOR, even if that answer is wrong!

Air shock and "plush" are not words you hear together (for the most part) Air shocks are for XC bikes (lite weight, progressive air-spring adjustments)

put like 60lbs in your rear shock and ride, you'll use most if not all your travel and your rear shock will "blow through" the first 3/4 of it's travel before getting that "stiff" travel feeling, your shock will feel "more plush" or "softer" but still not like a Coil! It doesn't matter how you slice it, 4 inches is 4 inches.

If you want a trail bike, get a freakin trail bike

·
Registered
12,480 Posts
pocketplayer said:
I thought that the push mod had more to do with giving you a stable platform which is better than propedal. Does it make your ride plusher as well?
It sounds like you're looking to stay with an air shock and just want to know which offers the plushest ride. Obviously, four inches of air shock travel isn't going to be as plush as 5-6" of coil, but I believe the AVA sleeve with the Push mods on your Fox is a nice upgrade. Is it better than the Swinger 3-way or the new Fox Prodpedal RP3? I don't know, (the DT Swiss, and Fifth Element both are a little firmer feeling from what I've read) , but I just had my Fox float done with these mods and it is better than it was. You can run less air pressure and with the stable platform still stay up in the travel and get a more linear (coil like) action without it bottoming and with better rebound control. I wouldn't say it's worlds better, but it's a definite improvement.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I'm on air but switching to coil...

Pocketplayer, you seem a bit like me. I've been resisting the coil way for a long time, mostly because of weight. However, I'm always looking for something plusher. I had a RS SID air, then a CaneCreek CloudNice, then changed the bike, got a Fox Talas air and now I currently have a Manitou Swinger 3Way with a Horst Link type 5.7 inches rear suspension bike. It is very plush BUT, not quite as much as I would like. So for next year, I will stop messing around with all sorts of mental excuses and I will get myself either a coil Fox DHX or a Romic shock.

Look at all the positive feedback on the Turner 5-spot and other trail bike that are based on a coil shock. It is amazing to read those peoples comments because a lot of them come from a background of XC and trail bikes based on air shock. Yes the bikes linkage is also involved but I suspect that a lot of the positive comes from the coild shock behavior itself.

So bottom line, if you haven't crossed the mental barrier yet, stick with an air shock, Manitou Swinger or Fox AVA are probably both your best bet. However, if you are talking about ultimate plushness, I would think coil is the only way to go, well I'll know for sure soon.

Hope this helps.
pocketplayer said:
Thanks to everyone who provided such helpful advice!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts