Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bicycle accessory Automotive lighting Light Motorcycle accessories Headlamp

After lurking around the MTBR forums for some time looking for LED updates to my good old TurboCat lights and finding a brilliant solution by one of the Forum members I thought I would contribute as well.

A number of the DIYers produced some amazing builds but seemed to require a lot of engineering and sometimes difficult to obtain parts and so it was my quest to see if I could buy all the parts for the housing from one store only.(Home Depot)
These must be readily available and nothing specialized and above all cheap!

I stumbled across the perfect light housing made out of metal good heat sinking capabilities in fact chromium plated brass thin walled so nice and light.

It allowed the fitting of the MR11 lenses and LED's from Cutter that I had used in the TurboCat conversion, had threaded fittings either end so totally sealable but also allowing upgrades.
Not wanting to have screws penetrating the housing making a source for leaks this piece of pipe has an indentation in the middle allowing Dinotte type mounting for both handle bars and helmet.
Chemical compound Silver Label Plastic Nickel

The next picture shows the complete parts the end cap is a knockout closure next is an "O" ring for a Moen faucet Pipe Light housing itself showing indentation that the copper pipe end fits snugly up against.
In between the housing and copper pipe end is the Maxflex boost driver from Cutter then quad Cree PCB "O" ring and lens 35mm.
Amber Glitter Beige Teal Natural material

Here the knockout closure has been drilled and a small grommet has been installed beside are the nut and washer for the small momentary switch used in this design but would not be needed for the cheapo triple Cutter.
Product Metal Natural material Silver Earrings

Here at the front end the complete light engine awaiting insertion into the housing
Product Circuit component Passive circuit component Resistor Silver

Once installed it is a simple matter of screwing the end caps on and putting some connectors on to match your battery of choice, one of the reasons for using the Maxflex is the very wide input voltage range.
Serveware Metal Home accessories Still life photography Tin

Added bonus you get two Vacuum cleaner belts for only $4.00 so can make two Pipe Lights in fact all the parts with the exception of the pipe coupling and copper pipe end you get enough to make two complete housings.
So there you have it the cost of the housing excluding the LEDs, driver Maxflex and switch $14.67 with enough parts to make two Pipe Lights all from Home Depot!
[/ATTACH]
Bicycle handlebar Bicycle accessory Bicycle Bicycle part Groupset

I have written all this up as a pdf document but the number of photo's is too large for me to post here so if you send me a PM I can send you by return.

Happy building

G

·
Very nice, great not to have to get all the tools out and start drilling and grinding. Just screw it together. Great:thumbsup:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks it was great fun making it and will be making more for friends.
The copper cap is a snug fit inside the tube so makes thermal contact with the brass tube and cools nicely but I only run at 750mA or lower for most of the rides.
The Maxflex is great, to be able to dim it at the touch of a button and is capable of driving 4 LED's unlike the Fatman which can only drive 3.(although I have not tried it)

·
I win.
713 Posts
PM Sent! Thanks for the idea!

I've been looking for a reasonable housing option but haven't really had any luck until this.
Do you happen to have a parts list of everything you used?
Thanks!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Parts list with photo's for The "Pipe Light"

Here's the list of part for the Pipe Light

1x repair coupling $4.57 CDN
1x bag of knockout closures (4 off $2.04)
1x 1" Copper Pipe End ($1.07)
1x set "O" rings for Moen Faucet (4 off I used the heaver of the two sizes $4.69)
1x Packet assorted grommets (over 20 for $4.50) (Radio Shack)
1x packet of 2 vacuum cleaner belts $3.89
Chemical compound Silver Label Plastic Nickel

Jewellery Reflection Macro photography Ring Still life photography

Ingredient Tan Chemical compound Label Food storage containers

Electric blue Label Number Plastic

Felidae Small to medium-sized cats Label Cat Packaging and labeling

Purple Magenta Violet Lavender Pink

All parts with exception of the grommets from Hone Depot

:)

·
I win.
713 Posts
Awesome, thanks for that.
I've got a MR-16 khatod lens and 3 loose Q5 leds mounted on individual stars. I'll also be using a buckpuck 3023 for the driver.

I'm going to have to upsize the coupling and hopefully find a Copper plug flat enough to mount the leds to. Anyone have any other ideas for led mounting options? I wonder if they have any copper/brass/aluminum slugs at home depot?

I guess I'll find out tomorrow!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
new mounting for LED's

Here is my latest modification rather than cutting a section out of the tube all I have done this time is just saw 4 cuts across the pipe end.
This allows the pipe end to go further in the housing and make more thermal contact.

The pipe ends come in sizes right up to 2" so perfect for the MR16 size.
Product Beige Metal Still life photography Coquelicot

I have been experimenting with the quad Cutter R2 and am now using the Fatman from my old TurboCat with 6.5-7.2 volt batteries and find the light output at a current of 590mA (the max the Fatman can drive with the low input voltage) is perfect for the handlebar mount. Get an extra hour run time and brighter than the 15Watt Halogen it has replaced.:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Repair Coupling. for repairing what?

Could you let me know what the repair coupling is for?

I spent some time at the local hardware store today and could not locate something similar.

Thanks

Pete
Auckland, NZ

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
housing pre design Pipe Light

Hi Pjc233 here is a photo of what got me started thinking that if a coupling exists which it does then this would be perfect.
I cannot find the exact one I used on the Home Depot website but this has details you can use to find it in NZ.
Photograph Technology Line Amber Material property

:)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Helmet mount solution

Well to follow up my previous postings on the "Pipe Light" and give you details of the helmet mount.
Also in the true spirit of the DIY world with the help of Troutie-MTB to look around for parts that are not being used anymore to assist in the bike light making Nirvana.
I had an old seat post that was lying around gathering dust when I noticed a piece of it might be the perfect helmet mount.http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=385425&stc=1&d=1219150617
Using the grooved semicircular clamp which happened to be hollow to save weight allowed me to insert a velcro strap through it.http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.p...nt.php?attachmentid=385427&stc=1&d=1219150617
Being semi circular it was perfect as the means of adjustment in the angle up and down the other neat thing is the clamp has grooves in it for the rails of the seat so allowing the vacuum cleaner belt to hook onto easily and provide a very firm stable clamp.http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=385428&stc=1&d=1219150617
http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=385429&stc=1&d=1219150617
http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=385430&stc=1&d=1219150651
There has been a comment that the Dinnotte style clamp does not hold firm when doing fast technical downhill this is untrue have done a couple of night rides and no problems whatsoever.As you can see there is a section of old inner tube in the middle of the Pipe Light this provides the grip so none slip.:)

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
:thumbsup: Thanks yes the top half of whats left of the seat post is nicely machined aluminium and would by the looks of it take an MCE! In fact the whole of the seat tube itself will lend itself to some modding.
Has the heat issue for the MCE's been documented fully as trying to wick away such a concentrated heat spot is going to be challenging to say the least or have the rest out there learned from the P7?:)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.