Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Mtbr Founder
35,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So there I stood - 7:30 am, Tahoe Rim Trail, Glass Mountain, 9 miles from the cabin, staring at a snake bite pinch flat, assaulted by rabid mosquitos.

I looked at my repair kit and I had many tubeless repair plugs but little did I know that this new test bike had tubes, which I had none of. I was getting crushed by the hangry Sierra skeeters so I walked for a bit and ate and drank. This was going to be the longest hike-out of my career. I found a ridge, cliff overlooking the Truckee River with a stiff breeze. The skeeters didn't like that so I had time to sit and think.

Glueless patches are stickers. There are some on my new bike since I never took the warning stickers, reflectors and pie plate. So what proceeded was a great McGyver project. Cleaned the tube surface better than ever, treated that warning sticker like it was gold and put on. Inflated it ever so carefully and it held to 30 psi. I rode down 9 miles more gingerly than I ever have. It held as I saw another person at the end.

Back home at 9:30 am as the family woke up and had the greatest day ever. #greatsave

Let's hear your save story!

Attachments

·
Administrator
11,800 Posts
So there I stood - 7:30 am, Tahoe Rim Trail, Glass Mountain, 9 miles from the cabin, staring at a snake bite pinch flat, assaulted by rabid mosquitos.

I looked at my repair kit and I had many tubeless repair plugs but little did I know that this new test bike had tubes, which I had none of. I was getting crushed by the hangry Sierra skeeters so I walked for a bit and ate and drank. This was going to be the longest hike-out of my career. I found a ridge, cliff overlooking the Truckee River with a stiff breeze. The skeeters didn't like that so I had time to sit and think.

Glueless patches are stickers. There are some on my new bike since I never took the warning stickers, reflectors and pie plate. So what proceeded was a great McGyver project. Cleaned the tube surface better than ever, treated that warning sticker like it was gold and put on. Inflated it ever so carefully and it held to 30 psi. I rode down 9 miles more gingerly than I ever have. It held as I saw another person at the end.

Back home at 9:30 am as the family woke up and had the greatest day ever. #greatsave

Let's hear your save story!

Damn, that is some good ingenuity! I have done the cut at the hole and tie, reinsert and reinflate, which actually works, if you have a knife and have done the fill the tire with grass to ride out, which works much less well, but well enough to get you somewhere on a flat trail slowly. Not sure if the later is better than walking, but it makes a good story.

·
Administrator
11,800 Posts
yea. just called my childhood friend. he said my memory is full of ****.

he recalls we had a tube, but a ripped tire that we fixed with a food wrapper or something. we shored up the opening. i cant remember the event much.
I did this with a powerbar wrapper when I tore a tire. It actually worked.

God the early days sucked. All these Macguyver-isms just to ride our damn bikes. Tubeless couldn't come soon enough.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did this with a powerbar wrapper when I tore a tire. It actually worked.

God the early days sucked. All these Macguyver-isms just to ride our damn bikes. Tubeless couldn't come soon enough.
So true man. So many things would go wrong back in the day, on riding less tame. Taught us to be prepared though, that's for sure.

Things are starting to work now. Just enough to let our guard down. Gorilla Tape and Zip ties seem to be a requirement.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Gorilla Tape and Zip ties seem to be a requirement.
Good idea! I carry some duct tape rolled on a 3/8" dowel, but Gorilla tape would work as a patch in a pinch. It wouldn't stretch, but it sure would stick. I still carry a tube and a patch kit even though I haven't ridden tubes on my main bike in four years.

Zip ties are standard in my pack. They came in handy the other day when my boy and I rode to the wharf and he wanted to buy a toy truck to play with at the beach. At first I told him I couldn't carry it. Then I realized we could zip tie it to his handlebars. Averted a real emergency!

·
Administrator
11,800 Posts
Good idea! I carry some duct tape rolled on a 3/8" dowel, but Gorilla tape would work as a patch in a pinch. It wouldn't stretch, but it sure would stick. I still carry a tube and a patch kit even though I haven't ridden tubes on my main bike in four years.

Zip ties are standard in my pack. They came in handy the other day when my boy and I rode to the wharf and he wanted to buy a toy truck to play with at the beach. At first I told him I couldn't carry it. Then I realized we could zip tie it to his handlebars. Averted a real emergency!
I have had the problem with riding tubeless that when I have actually needed my tube that is always in my pack or seat bag on my commuter, it is dry rotted or has been penetrated by the valve stem or something else in my bag from years of sitting in the same spot unused.

I used to just wrap duct tape around my seatpost, then I did it was a tire iron. Bet it is also not sticky anymore either. Probably should check it.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I saw a Seth's Bike Hack where chewing gum would work in a pinch (pun intended). Not sure I would have thought of the stickers, but damn good job.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.