Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lots of people new to fat bikes are not aware these exist. So this thread was a heads up to help them with obtaining proper PSI's

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Ignore the above comment,
Use a gauge, and get a feel for your own ideal pressure. Most new fat bike owners run too high pressure at first and do not get the benefit of fat bikes.
You will get a feel for what is ideal for you, and not have too harsh a ride/or too much squidge, Were all differant weights and maybe riding differant rim widths/tyre makes,

I on average ride with 1/2 psi more in the rear to the front, usual 8 1/2 and 8 psi (65mm, Surly 4" tyres) 61/2 and 6psi on the Moonlander.
I use an auto Rally car gauge that reads 0-30 psi and it is ideal :thumbsup: :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Most digital gauges handle low pressures well. I have an old Planet Bike Airmate 1030 and a new Schwalbe Airmax Pro 6010 and they both work well.

·
NMBP
2,159 Posts
Most digital gauges handle low pressures well. I have an old Planet Bike Airmate 1030 and a new Schwalbe Airmax Pro 6010 and they both work well.
My Topeak digital will show 3.5 psi as 0.0 psi, so it doesn't handle very low pressures.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Does anyone own both the 30psi Meisser and the 15psi version? I do and they read 2-3psi difference. I havent got a response back from the manufacturer yet but I am wondering if anyone else has this same issue.

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
Been liking this digital gauage that works with both Presta and Schrader valves, picked it up for $22 bucks

SKS Airchecker Pressure Gauge 0-140 PSI/10 Bar

Attachments

·
Registered
296 Posts
I just got the same one
Something handy I have found out is that
5 pumps of my floorpump is 1 lb. Have not worked out the mini pump yet

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What I have found out that regular floor and hand pumps won't register accurately at that low of PSI and why I bought this.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Does anyone own both the 30psi Meisser and the 15psi version? I do and they read 2-3psi difference. I havent got a response back from the manufacturer yet but I am wondering if anyone else has this same issue.
Yes. I mistakenly got a 60 psi version off of Amazon. I took it apart and used a 0-15 psi gauge head I already owned on it. I compared it to two known good calibrated gauges and found not only was the reading off, it was inconsistent. It was both inaccurate and imprecise. It disassembled it again and retested my threaded gauge without the body. The gauge was fine.

I took the body apart and found the check valve to be a poor design and defective. It took almost 4 psi to move the spring in the check valve to allow air into the gauge. The brass seat was also crooked. I gutted the check valve entirely. Now the gauge works great. Both precise and accurate. The gauge now only reads then pressed onto the presta valve. That is as close as I can get to perfect with what is on the market.

It doesn't seem like rocket science in the year 2014 to be able to check tire pressure to within a handful of tenths of a psi at a presta valve. My expensive digital gauge had to be sent back, and my mechanical one had to be reworked. I thought a nice gauge for drag tire slicks would work good, but it was to be my next try after repairing the Amazon one.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Ignore the above comment,
Use a gauge, and get a feel for your own ideal pressure. Most new fat bike owners run too high pressure at first and do not get the benefit of fat bikes.
You will get a feel for what is ideal for you, and not have too harsh a ride/or too much squidge, Were all differant weights and maybe riding differant rim widths/tyre makes,

I on average ride with 1/2 psi more in the rear to the front, usual 8 1/2 and 8 psi (65mm, Surly 4" tyres) 61/2 and 6psi on the Moonlander.
I use an auto Rally car gauge that reads 0-30 psi and it is ideal :thumbsup: :)
He's not 100% wrong...

experimentation is the key, and being able to estimate rather than being a slave to a pressure needle is pretty awesome.

I just bring a pump.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts