Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new moderators have assured me that those of us with pedestrian, not junk, MTB's will no longer be looked down at. I posed the idea of a Pedestrian bike sticky. That way we could post the bikes that really represent what most people are riding.

I'll go first: here's my 1987 Specialized Rockhopper. This was the last year of the friction shifting Deer Head XT bikes. I won the bike on ebay a year ago. The owner said he bought it new. It's even got the original dork disc, reflectors, tires and tubes. Other than a paint scrape on the fork it's 100% original.

I've also got a garage full of frames and old parts. We'll save that for the Beater Bike sticky.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,374 Posts
Agreed, but man, that's no Stumpie:D

Another sticky suggestion, looks like I've got some learning to do here.

My wifes first ride was one of those, in blue, 24" wheels though:eek:

No wonder she hated MTB, and crashed all the time. I spend most of my time on the big wheels now, any time I switch to check someones bike out on a ride, the little ones feel all tossy, so I can only imagine going yet smaller still. Yikes!

Bring on the mid class, but please, lets keep it polite, (good pics, stories, particularly old pics with you on the bike!) and not give the founding fathers angina, shall we? No dump a junker and run, okay? That'll earn a thread gone missing in action.....:rolleyes:

Thanks guys and gals, there's a clean feeling in the air, it's sunny in upstate NY, let the day begin! :)

·
illuminaughty
1,651 Posts
No need for a special "sticky" thread...

Just post what you've got, if it's interesting it will generate replies...if not at least you posted for members to see. Stickies in my opinion tend to become black holes that aren't visited much. IE: the "what it's worth sticky"..doesn't really seem to do much good, it doesn't seem to get read much.;)

·
illuminaughty
1,651 Posts
Clarification....

CS2 said:
The new moderators have assured me that those of us with pedestrian, not junk, MTB's will no longer be looked down at.
We can't guarantee any bike or post won't be "looked down on". Not every bike posted will appeal to everyone...and that's OK. We're just hoping to eliminate the rude replies and put downs that sometimes come. We're hoping that if it doesn't interest a member they will just move on to the next post.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
113 Posts
da'HOOV said:
We can't guarantee any bike or post won't be "looked down on". Not every bike posted will appeal to everyone...and that's OK. We're just hoping to eliminate the rude replies and put downs that sometimes come. We're hoping that if it doesn't interest a member they will just move on to the next post.:thumbsup:
I think the average, everyday bikes were only part of the problem - the obstinate, disrespectful owners of those bikes kinda brought it on themselves and created a rift. Just my take.

·
illuminaughty
1,651 Posts
point taken..

singletracktourist said:
I think the average, everyday bikes were only part of the problem - the obstinate, disrespectful owners of those bikes kinda brought it on themselves and created a rift. Just my take.
But thats old news...time to move on.

And it's time for YOU to post a bike..what do you ride and why?

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mechagouki said:
Shimano SX or maybe ACS platforms? Could possibly be original spec on such a bike?
WOW, your observant.Check out MOMBAT's link to the vintage Spec page. 1986 Rockhopper, same as my 87, lists the Shimano SX as standard. I have a project 86 that was spec'd with the same pedals.

http://mombat.org/Specialized_Specs.htm

·
defender of bad taste
1,600 Posts
MendonCycleSmith said:
Thanks guys and gals, there's a clean feeling in the air, it's sunny in upstate NY, let the day begin! :)
:thumbsup:

singletracktourist said:

·
Registered
725 Posts
I guess I'll go second. Here's a 1988-ish Hardrock Comp that I flipped a while ago. Good solid bike. Very solid, actually, but it rode well and had decent Suntour parts. The guy I sold it too was a bigger guy, and he called me a few weeks after he bought it saying he hit a pothole and bent the fork. I was bummed- for a Hardrock, it was in pretty much in all-original condition, and good condition at that. I recommended a local bike shop and haven't heard from him or seen the bike since.

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel

Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Bicycle Electric blue Bicycle accessory

·
Registered
875 Posts
djmuff said:
I guess I'll go second. Here's a 1988-ish Hardrock Comp that I flipped a while ago. Good solid bike.
Wow, that was my primary ride in College. I loved that bike and I rode it down some hairy trails in and around Flagstaff. Back then suspension didn't seem so important...it was just skill and sore wrists.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
singletracktourist said:
That's because your yellow one is an '86.
I thought red and blue were the only colors available in 86. Yellow wasn't available until 87. I'll have to check the S/N tonight.

·
Registered
113 Posts
CS2 said:
I thought red and blue were the only colors available in 86. Yellow wasn't available until 87. I'll have to check the S/N tonight.
The 87 Rock Hopper has parts from 87. The 86 has parts from 86. Catalogs and online databases are not always perfectly accurate... but it is common knowledge that index shifting was born in 1987 and Specialized wouldn't have left it off their bikes.

·
artistic...
7,603 Posts
i wish i had pics of my 1990 karakoram... the prettiest and heaviest bike in the world!
then i wish i had some pics of my first mtb; frame handbuilt by a young mechanic using tubing i don't want to know the brand:D , w/ ashtabula cranks, bmx stem and bars, brakes. shifters and gears came from 10 sp (bad) road bikes.
it's end came when i converted the BB through an adaptor for "good"bmx cranks: the thing had so much play it was impossible to pedal.
i thought the bike was beautifull then..

·
slow
7,356 Posts
Local CL pickup a couple of years ago for my daughter. She refused to ride it more than once because she was spoiled by my wife's Santa Cruz Superlight.

I thought it was cool for the nearly complete Suntour XC Comp group (with Self Energizing rear brake), the very straight Araya RM-17 rims, and the Switchblade knockoff fork. (Previous owner had replaced rear derailleur, and I replaced the brakes prior to this shot)

Not a keeper, however.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.