Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Bicyclochondriac.
14,589 Posts
I often see mtb jumping advice about getting more traction to help keep your feet on the pedals. Coming from freestyle BMX I knew this wasn't true. You can take your feet on and off in the air with good technique. I run plastic pedals with tiny plastic nubs on my DJ which are totally fine for hopping and jumping. Most riders whose feet accidentally come off are getting bucked (poor technique). However, even knowing this I was still excited to see someone put it to the test.

Disclaimer: having decent pedal traction is a good idea for mountain biking in general, especially for beginners. Just don't blame your pedals or shoes for jumping technique.
I don't think he disproved the scoop, just that you don't need tons of traction to do it.

As someone who has walked around on a plywood sheathed roof on many an occasion, I can tell you that there is definitely traction between sneakers and plywood.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I don't think he disproved the scoop, just that you don't need tons of traction to do it.

As someone who has walked around on a plywood sheathed roof on many an occasion, I can tell you that there is definitely traction between sneakers and plywood.

You don't need your feet on the pedals to lift the rear.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Wait, are we talking angled pedals before/at takeoff equals a scoop, or literally using clips or leverage to lift up? Lifting up while already in the air isn't going to do anything appreciable. All the pop comes from pre-takeoff leverage, and is definitely applied via feet to pedals. Once in the air it doesn't matter at all beyond preparing to land.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Wait, are we talking angled pedals before/at takeoff equals a scoop, or literally using clips or leverage to lift up? Lifting up while already in the air isn't going to do anything appreciable. All the pop comes from pre-takeoff leverage, and is definitely applied via feet to pedals. Once in the air it doesn't matter at all beyond preparing to land.
The original video is about scooping up flat pedals after takeoff to lift the rear or the bike and/or keep your feet on the pedals. Has nothing to do with clipless other than to say proper jumping/hopping technique doesn't require be attached/stuck to your pedals.

·
Bicyclochondriac.
14,589 Posts

You don't need your feet on the pedals to lift the rear.
Watch what he is doing closely..... he totally has his feet on the pedals (toes down) when he is getting the bike off the ground.

EDIT: OK, I see your point.

But that does not really prove that someone is not scooping when they say they are not but still have their feet on the pedals.

I guess my point is, THAT video may make the point, but the OPs does not.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Watch what he is doing closely..... he totally has his feet on the pedals (toes down) when he is getting the bike off the ground.

EDIT: OK, I see your point.

But that does not really prove that someone is not scooping when they say they are not but still have their feet on the pedals.

I guess my point is, THAT video may make the point, but the OPs does not.
I think the part missing here is to get that height you pull the handlebars up toward your chin after the initial pop and then push the bars out in front of you. Pulling the bike up and then pushing it out levels the bike out at the top without needing to scoop the pedals.

If you need to scoop there's something wrong with the timing or technique.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I think the part missing here is to get that height you pull the handlebars up toward your chin after the initial pop and then push the bars out in front of you. Pulling the bike up and then pushing it out levels the bike out at the top without needing to scoop the pedals.

If you need to scoop there's something wrong with the timing or technique.
Right there are certain cases where you need to tuck the bike up under you but don't want it far out front either, in which case you might scoop the rear. Typically though you should not be trying to scoop the rear.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
i don't know how good at hops you are, but you just explode upward, there is no "scooping" of anything...
When you pop up, the front wheel is above the rear. In the air you are leveling them or even putting the rear higher if its a dirt jump. This is something you do on command, especially when you dirt jump. You decide if and how much to pull the rear up mid air depending on how you launched and where you are going to land.

You have only two contact points with the bike in the air. Handlebars and pedals. You can use either or both. If you use neither the bike will not change angle.

You must scoop the bike hard under you to clear a jump that you are too short, or you will case the rear. Pushing the handlebar forward will not get the rear higher, it will only get the front lower. You need to bend the knees to lift the rear (scoop).

Looks to me that he is doing that in the video. There is enough traction with the wood pedals if you push against the handlebar. Wood has a lot of traction, with 5.10, regular shoes and other rubber.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
When you pop up, the front wheel is above the rear. In the air you are leveling them or even putting the rear higher if its a dirt jump. This is something you do on command, especially when you dirt jump. You decide if and how much to pull the rear up mid air depending on how you launched and where you are going to land.

You have only two contact points with the bike in the air. Handlebars and pedals. You can use either or both. If you use neither the bike will not change angle.

You must scoop the bike hard under you to clear a jump that you are too short, or you will case the rear. Pushing the handlebar forward will not get the rear higher, it will only get the front lower. You need to bend the knees to lift the rear (scoop).

Looks to me that he is doing that in the video. There is enough traction with the wood pedals if you push against the handlebar. Wood has a lot of traction, with 5.10, regular shoes and other rubber.
I posted another video of someone bringing the rear up without their feet on the pedals. I agree that only does so much and in certain cases you need to scoop but normally no scooping is required.

·
Pro Crastinator
11,426 Posts
to the contrary, if you do neither, in a ghost ride situation your bike will follow the natural transition of the jump and nose itself down as it starts to come down unless it's boosted off the lip intentionally with force. the only thing stopping it's natural arc is the pilot

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
to the contrary, if you do neither, in a ghost ride situation your bike will follow the natural transition of the jump and nose itself down as it starts to come down unless it's boosted off the lip intentionally with force. the only thing stopping it's natural arc is the pilot
I should have been more accurate and said momentum. On a jump or a drop, yes, IF you ride through it. People landing on their butts on dirt jumps is a pink bike Friday favorite.
On flat land you don't have much downward angular momentum.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts