Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I often see mtb jumping advice about getting more traction to help keep your feet on the pedals. Coming from freestyle BMX I knew this wasn't true. You can take your feet on and off in the air with good technique. I run plastic pedals with tiny plastic nubs on my DJ which are totally fine for hopping and jumping. Most riders whose feet accidentally come off are getting bucked (poor technique). However, even knowing this I was still excited to see someone put it to the test.

Disclaimer: having decent pedal traction is a good idea for mountain biking in general, especially for beginners. Just don't blame your pedals or shoes for jumping technique.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,515 Posts
lots of myths around the pedals. like clips allowing you to push down and pull up at the same time while pedaling. it's not possible for your body to concentrate on pushing and pulling in circles at the same time. it's only one or the other....
imma gonna go with -no- on that...

lol wut ? ever use powercranks ? you can't keep them 180 unless you do the impossible thing you are saying is impossible.

it's done all the time if you train to do it.

·
Administrator
10,847 Posts
I often see mtb jumping advice about getting more traction to help keep your feet on the pedals. Coming from freestyle BMX I knew this wasn't true. You can take your feet on and off in the air with good technique. I run plastic pedals with tiny plastic nubs on my DJ which are totally fine for hopping and jumping. Most riders whose feet accidentally come off are getting bucked (poor technique). However, even knowing this I was still excited to see someone put it to the test.

Disclaimer: having decent pedal traction is a good idea for mountain biking in general, especially for beginners. Just don't blame your pedals or shoes for jumping technique.
I watched this the other day and appreciated it. As anyone that has been unclipped on road shoes but found yourself having to bunny hop something a the ground this is obvious. It has happened to me more than once, once I was going through a deep puddle, unclipped to lift my feet then realized there was a train track crossing right after the puddle so put my feet on the pedals, hopped and then finally clipped back in after the rails. No scoop, no traction, not graceful or safe but it got done.

·
Pro Crastinator
11,426 Posts
imma gonna go with -no- on that...

lol wut ? ever use powercranks ? you can't keep them 180 unless you do the impossible thing you are saying is impossible.

it's done all the time if you train to do it.
get at it and report back. your brain will not push one pedal and pull the other simultaneously as you think...

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,515 Posts
get at it and report back. your brain will not push one pedal and pull the other simultaneously as you think...
already use them, have been for 8 years.

I can pedal full power circles at 140rpm no handed. one legged, other legged, both legs....what else ?

train and you can do pretty much anything

Reactions: TylerVernon

·
Pro Crastinator
11,426 Posts
already use them, have been for 8 years.

I can pedal full power circles at 140rpm no handed. one legged, other legged, both legs....what else ?

train and you can do pretty much anything
it's all a myth that you've fallen for pretty hard. why would you even try to practice making your pedal stroke considerably less powerful? it makes zero sense. no elite level cyclist on the planet even tries..

·
Registered
307 Posts
it's all a myth that you've fallen for pretty hard. why would you even try to practice making your pedal stroke considerably less powerful? it makes zero sense. no elite level cyclist on the planet even tries..
Perhaps not applying power on the upward movement, but you can definitely use the opposite side to at least "get out of the way" so that you're not wasting power on the downward leg pushing the other one up. Intuitively this makes sense if you look at the biomechanics when not having feet tied to pedals, such as running.

·
Pro Crastinator
11,426 Posts
Perhaps not applying power on the upward movement, but you can definitely use the opposite side to at least "get out of the way" so that you're not wasting power on the downward leg pushing the other one up. Intuitively this makes sense if you look at the biomechanics when not having feet tied to pedals, such as running.
agreed 100%. unweighting your upward foot is the most efficient, not concentrating on pulling up, which does nothing more than rob your downstroke of power.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,515 Posts
oh crap I thought you were referencing something else when I said impossible is possible

total power is the same, I know if I am jamming 70% up, my down leg is giving 30% yes . 80% up, 20% down. ya I got that.

I was thinking something else entirely. single leg press while pulling weight with the other...wasn't comprehending....

circles (or close as can be gotten) for me increases endurance. resting some muscles let the others work more. more control over your legs than simply mashing down or mashing up. long time ago got powercranks due to left knee injury and my mileage improved a ton cuz using more of my leg allows good resting and not getting blown up legs. powercranks are also bullshit 'cuz you are committed to them if you want to go anywhere or you can have fun and screw around with them

I dun goofed though...consequences will never be the same

clips made me a cheat...don't have practice riding flats or getting hops w/o the crutch of clips.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
agreed 100%. unweighting your upward foot is the most efficient, not concentrating on pulling up, which does nothing more than rob your downstroke of power.
For overall efficiency you're probably right, but if pulling up didn't add any power in any scenario then there'd be no reason elite cyclists would do one legged drills.

·
Registered
307 Posts
For overall efficiency you're probably right, but if pulling up didn't add any power in any scenario then there'd be no reason elite cyclists would do one legged drills.
I am rather curious about all of this. Are there any PMs that can measure the upward force during the pedal stroke? My thinking is that spider dual sided PMs (like Quarq) wouldn't be able to differentiate the sides. Perhaps a pedal PM? Not sure if they're built to register a pull vs a push.

·
Pro Crastinator
11,426 Posts
one legged drills are generally used for rehabbing and being able to figure out weak spots between legs. sure having stronger legs in general is going to be a benefit. but trying to pull with one leg and push with the other with both at full power is never going to happen. your brain works like an on/off switch as you switch back and forth thinking about whether you're pushing or pulling the focus of your power...

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I just switched back to flats last week to practice trials kind of stuff and improving my skill in techy climbs. Good to know I don't need to worry about scooping!

The muscles for pully up are tiny. Even if your pulling up with a hard perceived effort it's not a notable amount of power compared to the massive muscle groups of your glutes and quads.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,515 Posts
one legged drills are generally used for rehabbing and being able to figure out weak spots between legs. sure having stronger legs in general is going to be a benefit. but trying to pull with one leg and push with the other with both at full power is never going to happen. your brain works like an on/off switch as you switch back and forth thinking about whether you're pushing or pulling the focus of your power...
one legged drills are for going fast and winning events. or recovery. or both. one legged drills as I have been instructed by coaches pay off huge. spread the load around your legs, suffer less = more riding and fresher muscle groups because you can get a rest in with no drops in speed.

once again no to the brain acting like a switch one leg on the other off. I can do one legged squats, dip low, have a 20lb dumbbell strapped to my other foot which is held in the air (I just did this yesterday) and as I lift off the floor with one leg, straightening it... I can raise and bend my other leg with the weight at the same time. dude, this is just training. according to you I can't do this.

if you were correct there are a lot of drummers, jugglers, and gymnasts who ...now need new jobs.

powercranks, one legged drills, trying to pedal circles allows the cyclist to stay at the same speed or power output, but give some muscles a break and make others work more, which is essentially resting, preventing cramps...all that. you can get a huge rest and still stay on the rivet by switching to pulling back and up for a majority of the power stroke, resting one set of muscles. the more you train like that, the more you can pull it off effectively on a long ride, staving off cramps and tiredness...extending the ride. useful on mtb in the chunk where you sometimes don't need to ratchet, just pull like hell if you need power now and your legs aren't in favorable position to put power on downstroke

you can't pull up with one leg and try to push down harder with the other on a crank system and somehow make more power... whichever leg pushes harder makes the other leg job easier...but when I am riding and my legs feel tired, I just swap what kind of pedaling I am doing to rest up. with powercranks you have no choice unless you want to ride all wonky

but off the bike and trying to do what you say can't be done...umm, can be done. there are a lot of other things the body can learn to do I guess you think we are hardwired and impossible to do....yeah, no to that. if it has a muscle you can learn to control it any old which way. involuntary muscle systems are the hardest to master ...but still doable. nothing the legs or pelvis does is involuntary...it's easy to learn basics in minutes.

even those yogis who can control their own heartbeat with the mind. that is top level nervous system control but it is a real thing and can be learned.

Reactions: Bikeworks

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
You sure about that brain on/off switch? Seems to discount muscle memory.

I'm not here to convince you of anything, but I think you discount scenarios that actually take advantage of pulling up at effective points in the back half of the pedal stroke.

·
Pro Crastinator
11,426 Posts
I can do one legged squats, dip low, have a 20lb dumbbell strapped to my other foot which is held in the air (I just did this yesterday) and as I lift off the floor with one leg, straightening it... I can raise and bend my other leg with the weight at the same time. dude, this is just training. according to you I can't do this....
so, if you're squatting low and holding a dumbell up with your other leg (which will need to be bent in a leg curl because of proximity to the floor) while you extend one leg in a press, how do you do a leg curl simultaneous with a leg press when the leg holding the dumbell is already curled to hold the dumbell off the floor?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts