Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my weight is flux-uating all over the place.

as much as it pains to say (and as predicted), my other tires were too phat.

though maybe things happen for a reason....the Bettys SSINGA sent arrived today and man do they look incredible! there may actually be something to them after all.

i would say their size is almost spot on with the Advantage I had. In feeling the sidewalls they feel seriously THICK....truly amazing. Noticeably thicker/burlier than the Maxxis Minion DHF 2.35 and High Roller 2.35s I had in the garage and definitely thicker than teh Advantages I had. Cant wait to try them

Weights were 937 g and 921 g which is great. Tad more than Advantage but I really think you get something for the xtra weight. Though ultimately if they roll faster, the extra weight is irrelevant anyway as resistance is more important anyway.

sad part is that even they are no featherweights, I saved 1064 grams (2.35 lbs) tonight switching to these tires over the ones they replace :thumbsup:

·
Time flies...
2,206 Posts
...time for an ultimate cheeseburger and some curly fries....

...you could always use some tubes filled w/ slime & water too...

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I have been thinking about a set of those tires but I just cant get over how much weight they will add! Not to my "preciousssss":p

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
drumstix said:
I have been thinking about a set of those tires but I just cant get over how much weight they will add! Not to my "preciousssss":p
You'll forget about the weight once you ride them and realize how fast they roll and how well they grip. Good stuff!

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Fo' What size are those Big Bettys? you say they are 937g and require tubes?
I've got a pair of Maxxis High Rollers 2.35UST that weigh in at 850 & 890g and as UST tires they are very sturdy/burly.

I'm very interested in your thoughts on how the BBs roll and grip compared to the MHRs ... of course they would have to be amazing to get me off UST.

·
Bodhisattva
10,866 Posts
Bikezilla said:
Fo' What size are those Big Bettys? you say they are 937g and require tubes?
I've got a pair of Maxxis High Rollers 2.35UST that weigh in at 850 & 890g and as UST tires they are very sturdy/burly.

I'm very interested in your thoughts on how the BBs roll and grip compared to the MHRs ... of course they would have to be amazing to get me off UST.
I'm not Fo (thank gawd) but can give you some info. I had HR UST on my Pack for a time.

The BB are wider, roll better and have better lateral traction IMO. I really didn't care for the HR and went back to Nevegals rather quickly.

BBs are amongst the most pinch-resistant tubed tires I've used, but they can still pinch. The magic pressure seems to be around 35 rear/32 front for me. In St.George I ran 35 F & R and managed to flat the front, yes front, once on a gnarly transition but 35psi held up fine on 5 foot to flat.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Squeaky Wheel said:
"look incredible"...that says it all

please go out & ride
yes, the bold white lettering is a much better match on my bike than most other tires.

ride? that is ghey.....my ratio of 2:1 (swapping bike parts:actually riding) needs to be maintained though as of late, ratio is more like 3:1 :rolleyes: even aqua has more time to ride

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I got a set of BB's last summer and traded them after one ride; didn't really give them a chance. I put a second set on the bike this winter and they've been great. They're pretty good on slick roots and rocks; definitely put them to the test with all the crazy weather we've had.

The side walls are stiff; I can run low pressure without a pinch flat; knock on wood. I rode on some soft trails last weekend and had to pump them up; went from 25psi to about 30-32; they roll fast and get good traction. No doubt about it, the BB's are an excellent choice for wet weather. BTW, these tires don't fold over like many single ply tires; they're a good choice for heavy riders.

I've heard good things about the dual ply Maxxis HR; they roll pretty fast. But the single ply version didn't work for me; most of them don't.

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Tnx Squeak. FWIW the MHRs have been the best tires I've used so far(in my conditions) and I didn't get on with the Neigals at all. The BGs didn't impress me either.

From what I recall you're a lot smoother, and lighter than I so PF is a big concern for me. I was up to 45psi on the Nevys and still PF'ed every other ride, and the sidewalls were very squirmy and rolly. IMO using a psi higher than 45 would have negated the benifits of whatever the tire and increased size(2.5) could have given me on the wet rocks and roots I often encounter.

I also saved a ton of weight going back to MHR 2.35 UST compared to the single-ply 2.5 Nevy and BG w/tubes. Also the MHR USTs have nice stiff sidewalls.

I'll keep an open mind on the BB, but I'm still gun-shy about going back to tubes.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Bikezilla said:
Tnx Squeak. FWIW the MHRs have been the best tires I've used so far(in my conditions) and I didn't get on with the Neigals at all. The BGs didn't impress me either.

From what I recall you're a lot smoother, and lighter than I so PF is a big concern for me. I was up to 45psi on the Nevys and still PF'ed every other ride, and the sidewalls were very squirmy and rolly. IMO using a psi higher than 45 would have negated the benifits of whatever the tire and increased size(2.5) could have given me on the wet rocks and roots I often encounter.

I also saved a ton of weight going back to MHR 2.35 UST compared to the single-ply 2.5 Nevy and BG w/tubes. Also the MHR USTs have nice stiff sidewalls.

I'll keep an open mind on the BB, but I'm still gun-shy about going back to tubes.
They're the stiffest single ply side wall I've seen; at 225-230 there is absolutely no folding over like most of the others. I didn't expect to keep them but I wanted to give them another try; they're not going anywhere until summer.

If you're UST HR's are working well, keep riding. But then again, the prospect of new and different is pretty exciting:D For winter riding I wanted something a little smaller than the 2.5 Nevagal and a little bigger than the 2.35; the BB fit the bill perfectly. Nice wide tire with stiff side walls and excellent traction; perfect for wet weather.

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
The Oprah of homers?
I was thinking more like the Sybil of homers. Quite the flip flop of personality.

"I don't care about weight!"
"I'm a closet weight weenie!"
:D
Fo' with the money you have now spent on tires, you could have bought those specialized pinner pro's I was telling you about but, nooooooooooooooooo, they were too expensive.
And why isn't your RFX up for sale yet?

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
Bikezilla said:

Zilla - no PF on the Betty's from myself (tubed and stans), appbling (stans), Hambone (stans) and Framebreaker (tubes) and we are all close to or above the 200lb mark). I run mine between 30-35 psi whether running tubes or stans and I have had not issues with the tire.

Tire life has been good too. I have 2 of the Gooey Gluey compounds, preferred setup is ORC in the back and GG in the front, and still have plenty of tread left after 3/4 of a year riding them YMMV.

I current set-up is the GG BB on a DT5.1d with the Maxxis 26A1 rim strip and 1 scoop of stans.

·
Bodhisattva
10,866 Posts
I also run the GG front/ ORC rear.

Triple compound Big Bettys slated for release this year and should be a good compromise between GG & ORC.

SSINGA....we had horrible luck early on trying to "Stan" BBs so its good to hear that you could pull it off. Maybe I'll give it a shot this spring.

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Alright I admit it...I'm inflexible... I'm not gonna use Stans either.:p :rolleyes:
Maybe I'll try a BB with tubes after my MHRs wear out... since the MHRs have been such a improvement in traction over my NBXs (which I really liked) I'm in no hurry to go back to tubes.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
It's nice to see more in between tires popping up: thicker 1 ply tires, really actually 2.3" wide,soft rubber/DTC rubber.

UST tires are often in the range but in rock hard rubber and few wide ones.

Sweet.

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
FoShizzle said:
my weight is flux-uating all over the place.

as much as it pains to say (and as predicted), my other tires were too phat.
Oprah....err, I mean Fo, I won't say we told ya so, but..........:p

Now you're making sense with 900 - 1000g tires for that bike. Unless you're doing pure DH, those intense tires were total overkill. Even for DH, those weigh 200 g's more than the tires on my DH bike.

EB

·
Registered
7,019 Posts
SSINGA said:
Zilla - no PF on the Betty's from myself (tubed and stans), appbling (stans), Hambone (stans) and Framebreaker (tubes) and we are all close to or above the 200lb mark).
...ummmm, the only one on that list who even comes remotely close to riding with any frequency is Rick (Framebreaker). Remember, for those not in the know....no riding=no pinch flats :D:madmax::devil::yikes:

SSINGA said:
....still have plenty of tread left after 3/4 of a year riding them YMMV.
...so, like....yeah. I rest my case ;)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.