Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time for a story. A few years ago, I found mountainbiking. After much scraping, trading, and prostitution, I had put together a decent steel hardtail; 3x9 with all the bells and whistles, 100mm fork, carbon bars, and fun whizbangs. Things were good. I climbed fast. I descended well. I was content. Then entered the stock singlespeed 29er, a redline monocog. Shortly after, I realized I could ride nearly everything rigid/ss that I did with suspension and gears. The only thing I couldn't ride that I really love (at times) is badass downhill/AM riding. I love porcupine rim when I can get to Moab. So, the 3x9 is slowly turning into a 1x9 hardtail with a 6 inch fork, an On-One 456 actually.
So here is the question finally. Is there any type of riding you wish you could do that the SS just won't handle? And what bikes, if any, do you have to supplement your riding style?

·
master blaster
1,149 Posts
yes. there are sometimes when im going about 20mph weaving down rock gardens on my rigid ss wishing i were on my fs geared bike going 35mph in a straight line over the same stuff. but then i ride my fs geared bike and feel like a slug. im ditching fs 3x9 and settling down to having a ss rigid and a 1x9 hardtail.

·
Life is Go0d!
891 Posts
There is nothing I can't ride on my Flight... If I wanted to go faster, I would not have taken up mtbing again at all. Think KTM + hare scrambles. OK maybe some bigger drops... thats about it.

·
Freezer
532 Posts
I'm with both you guys on the quiver. Have a really light SS rigid bike for pure climbing, and thinking about replacing the FS bike with a 1x9hardtail for more rolling rides and rides with more technical downhills. After riding SS rigid, the inefficiency/weight of rear suspension is too much of a negative.

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
So far I've ridden my rigid SS everywhere I had ridden my geared FS bike, including some places I'd never been before with the FS bike (like the Rubicon!). I was planning to build a geared hard tail 29er but it'll be a while before that happens. I'll just have to make do with my FS bike :)

·
Chronic 1st-timer
2,432 Posts
Haven't yet found the 'impossible' trail, but I haven't hit the gravity trails with 30' drops.

Only other bike I 'need' right now is a F650GS Dakar.

·
1,534 Posts
Is there any type of riding you wish you could do that the SS just won't handle? And what bikes, if any, do you have to supplement your riding style?
inter-trail travel can be boring in a 2:1 on a mtb. so much spinning, not as much ground covered as i'd like.
have a road bike to supplement.

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
veloreality said:
yes. there are sometimes when im going about 20mph weaving down rock gardens on my rigid ss wishing i were on my fs geared bike going 35mph in a straight line over the same stuff. but then i ride my fs geared bike and feel like a slug. im ditching fs 3x9 and settling down to having a ss rigid and a 1x9 hardtail.
really?
:skep:
what's your idea of a rock garden?

·
Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
2,419 Posts
i have a front suspended SS with 100mm of travel, and that is all i ride.
I figure that if i cant ride it with the bike i have, i shouldnt be riding it in the first place. The penalty for failure isnt any less painful just because your bike is slightly more comfortable before the crash. :)

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I live in colorado and have not found a trail that it can not handle.
I ride with a fox fork f29 100mm that i climb locked out and descend with it wide open.
Did not have any problems in Moab either.

Like someone else said, if i wanted to go faster i would ride my Yamaha YZ 450 in the hare scramble races:thumbsup:

jonzinmj said:
Time for a story. A few years ago, I found mountainbiking. After much scraping, trading, and prostitution, I had put together a decent steel hardtail; 3x9 with all the bells and whistles, 100mm fork, carbon bars, and fun whizbangs. Things were good. I climbed fast. I descended well. I was content. Then entered the stock singlespeed 29er, a redline monocog. Shortly after, I realized I could ride nearly everything rigid/ss that I did with suspension and gears. The only thing I couldn't ride that I really love (at times) is badass downhill/AM riding. I love porcupine rim when I can get to Moab. So, the 3x9 is slowly turning into a 1x9 hardtail with a 6 inch fork, an On-One 456 actually.
So here is the question finally. Is there any type of riding you wish you could do that the SS just won't handle? And what bikes, if any, do you have to supplement your riding style?

·
Life is Go0d!
891 Posts
ISuckAtRiding said:
i have a front suspended SS with 100mm of travel, and that is all i ride.
I figure that if i cant ride it with the bike i have, i shouldnt be riding it in the first place. The penalty for failure isnt any less painful just because your bike is slightly more comfortable before the crash. :)
Slightly more comfortable before the crash.. thats funny! and true. Pedaled a Spec. Enduro out of the woods once with a nasty AC separation... can't say the fs helped with that either.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I love rigid SS. I have been riding a HT SS for a while though, and its time to switch back. I don't like riding on flat areas, or the long tough climbs, and I gear in the middle of both (so I suck at both). I've been thinking of selling my FS. I like the sound of rigid SS with HT 1x9 to compliment it. Besides, I only ride really rocky stuff in Tahoe a few times a year, so I should just HTFU when I do go...

·
Retro Grouch
2,091 Posts
jonzinmj said:
Is there any type of riding you wish you could do that the SS just won't handle? And what bikes, if any, do you have to supplement your riding style?
Any type of riding my rigid SS can't handle has nothing to do with the bike.

·
Birthday Collector
2,610 Posts
I've been riding rigid SS everywhere for 3 years now. Once in a while I get rattled, but like a couple of other people here have alluded to, if it's ugly, I go slower and pick my lines a little more carefully. If I do go down, it is a lot less likely that I'll pack it in hard. The problem with FS is that it can suck you in pretty deep before it spits you out! If the conditions are smooth to medium, my rigid steel 29" seems to go as fast as, or even faster in some cases, than most of my friends can on their FS or Hardtail/boing fork bikes. The only place the SS gets me is on long, steep climbs. And most of that is me these days.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
Geared fatbike (Pugsley) and a geared hauling rig (Big Dummy) are the situations that require gears for me. I have a geared 1985 Trek 600 road bike setup for longer day trips, but that's just because my light fast road bikes are all fixed and aggressively setup.

·
Registered
699 Posts
jonzinmj said:
So, the 3x9 is slowly turning into a 1x9 hardtail...
Help a noob out with some of the terminology here.... When you say 'turning into a 1x9,' are you talking about a 9-speed bike (9 being the number of cogs on the rear cassette), or...?

If this is what you're referring to, do you have to have some sort of tensioner or something to keep the chain lined up properly?

Sorry for my ignorance, thanks... -Eric

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yes, in short terminology a 1 x 9 has no front derail . It just has the back nice gears and 1 "front" gear

·
Clever Slogan
543 Posts
Where I live I've got Blackrock to the West, McKenzie River Trail to the East, Hood River/St. Helens to the North, Oakridge/Umpqua River to the South. And then some sweet stuff inbetween. It's an amazing variety of terrain. Sure a ss is good for some or even most of that...

1x9 Bullit.2
1x9 custom hardtail
2x9 OnOne 456 hardtail
1x1 OnOne ss

These four keep the challenge factor everpresent. Plus, apparently, I'm ADD so when I get bored with one I pic up another. Horses for courses....

·
Registered
699 Posts
fourtyfell said:
Yes, in short terminology a 1 x 9 has no front derail . It just has the back nice gears and 1 "front" gear
Is there any issue with chain alignment in that scenario? Seems like the angle when the chain is on the outer cogs could cause problems?

·
Registered
314 Posts
jonzinmj said:
Not so much riding that my ss can't handle, but moreso riding that I enjoy more on other types of bikes. I've got 9 bikes, down from 14, that each suit a different style of riding, but that's not to say each bike cannot be ridden in many different styles/ways. They are:

1. On-One Scandal 29er, geared hardtail for xc riding/racing (currently being built up to replace the 26" geared race bike I recently sold)
2. Surly Karate Monkey, rigid ss for xc riding/racing
3. Trek T1, built up from a frame, velodrome only, training/racing
4. Voodoo Wazoo, 1x9 cyclocross race-specific build
5. Soma Smoothie, Dura-Ace 7800 group, road racing/training
6. Trek 520, fully loaded touring, been on one long tour, planning another
7. Motobecane Jury, ss, fenders, fat tires, commuter/city bike
8. Surly Instigator, xtracycle, cargo bike (this one's being built now)
9. Nashbar Touring Frame, built up with fat semi-slicks, mustache bars, 3x8, fireroad pathracer

Until the Scandal is done, my Karate Monkey is my only true mountain bike, and that doesn't really bother me. I've been racing on it for a while now, and I'm pretty comfortable on techy/fast stuff on a rigid ss. I can't say I'd be placing any better on a geared/suspended bike in races (I race my age geared class on my ss).

1 - 20 of 49 Posts