Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 180 Posts

·
Lighten up.
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I'm selling three Surly bikes (Pugs, Dummy, and LHT) to finance and build The One.

Build list:
- 16" titanium Fatback frame
- Steel Fatback fork with extra bottle mounts (thanks, Tim)
- Uma II rims with Hadley hubs and ti' skewers
- Thomson seatpost & stem
- Jones Loop titanium H-Bar
- Fatback/Hive crankset
- Speedway's new Ti pedals (hopefully)

Frame/fork are on the way. Still trying to move the Dummy frame/fork and LHT so I can finance the wheelset, etc.

Pics to follow...

·
Lighten up.
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
SlowPokePete said:
I'm looking for a used Pug.

Let me know the details when you are ready to sell.

SPP
Sorry-should have stated up front: the Pugs and LHT are sold. Just the 18" Dummy frame and forks are left.

Edit: LHT buyer bailed. It's still for sale. If you fit a 50cm LHT and want a fair deal on an ultimate LHT build, I've posted details here:

http://www.adventurecycling.org/forums/index.php?topic=8444.0

Now...where were we? Oh, yes. The One.

Those sweet U.S. Hadley hubs get released into the wild on March 8th...

·
Lighten up.
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wheelset ordered from Speedway (thanks, Jeff!)-the US Hadley/Fatback hubs are due Monday (3/14).

Lost my mind and added a SRAM XG999 cassette to the rear wheel.

Fatback Ti pedals are coming, too.

Yikes. What in the world have I done...

...oh, I remember: sell 3 bikes to fund this project.

:eek:ut:

·
Lighten up.
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Anyone have advice on SRAM rear derailleur and SRAM shifters for my Fatback build? I figure since I'm spec'ing that 999 cassette I might as well spec SRAM stuff where possible. But I have no idea what to buy, other than the fact that I need 9-speed compatibility.

Any Fatback owners out there with knowledge to share including cage length recommendations for the rear d'?

·
is buachail foighneach me
6,589 Posts
X-9 is super nice (without being outrageous) if you can afford it. Otherwise, x-7 is durable and works well. If 1 or 2 x 9, you could probably get away with medium cage. Short cage would work with 1 x 9, but would limit your options in the future if you ever wanted to add another ring up front.

·
Lighten up.
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sean salach said:
X-9 is super nice (without being outrageous) if you can afford it. Otherwise, x-7 is durable and works well. If 1 or 2 x 9, you could probably get away with medium cage. Short cage would work with 1 x 9, but would limit your options in the future if you ever wanted to add another ring up front.
Thanks, Sean. So, if I'm running the Fatback/Hive triple crankset, I'd need to go long cage?

And shifters...do SRAM's Twist shifters have a good rep (assuming they'd fit on my Jones bar)?

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
I have a lot of X.9 and X.0 stuff. The '9 is almost as snappy, and lasts almost as long. I would be happy running either. You could probably get away with a medium cage if don't cross chain.

I have '0 grip shifters on my Fatback, but on all my other bikes I run triggers. There is less stuff to freeze on 'twisties'.

1 - 20 of 180 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.