Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought this post from my blog would fit in here, in the passion forum!
https://digitalhippie.net/2011/04/12/the-one-constant/

I received a package of old childhood photos in the mail from my folks the other day. Looking through them reminded me of how much change gets crammed into our relatively short lives. Relationships, possessions, jobs, technology, you name it… it’s not that change is necessarily a bad thing, it’s inevitable, but even within one simple hippie’s life has anything remained constant?

In the collection of photos I came across one I’d forgotten even existed, an old photo of me blissed out on my first set of wheels — the same bike my 5 older siblings had learnt to ride on — a once fancy 20″ (I think, maybe smaller) that my grandparents had brought to Australia from overseas and somehow it had survived life with us on the farm.

The funny thing is, ignore the creaky bones and grey hair acquired along the way and the photo could just have well been taken today or any day over the last 40 odd years. Regardless of age, regardless of life’s ups and downs, being on a bike has always made me smile, filled me with the same sense of carefree freedom, of independence and infinite possibilities, hope, adventure and peace of mind, all the while gently reminding me to simply enjoy the ride.

The one constant :)

·
The White Jeff W
5,704 Posts
My mom asked me what my earliest childhood memory is. I thought for a moment & said 'probably a bicycle crash'.

My son, now 20, said 'what a coincidence, that's also your most recent memory'.

Constant indeed :lol:

·
Young, Shawn Young
3,165 Posts
Excellent post! I don't have any early childhood memories of being on the bike but I'll make sure my son does.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Great post man. Nice writing, it all rings so true and reminds me of the stage of life I am in. It is so true with bikes, I have two girls (one a very recent 4 and a 6yo) and they started on bikes very early...skip the tricycle. My 4yo ditched the training wheels yesterday, super cool. When my oldest child started riding a bike, it really reminded me that a bike is a young kids first true taste of freedom, especially when the training wheels go away.

Yes, my hair is graying too, and lots of things have changed. But the look on my kids faces riding bikes independently transcends all time and technological changes. It's kind of funny because that is the same way I feel when out on a ride.

·
meow meow
10,622 Posts
jeffw-13 said:
My mom asked me what my earliest childhood memory is. I thought for a moment & said 'probably a bicycle crash'.

My son, now 20, said 'what a coincidence, that's also your most recent memory'.

Constant indeed :lol:
hahahaha

·
Registered
742 Posts
I remember when I was young my twin brother and I were riding our bikes to get some donuts. Well their was an old field at the top of the street we would cut thru to save time. We found a ramp set up to jump over the little creek in the field.

I wanted to jump it my brother kept saying no. When I hit the ramp my peddle fell off and you can imagine the rest.

I still remember my brother saying do not try it; then he said Mom is going to be mad.

Funny thing now in my 40's my Mom still gets mad that I have had my wrist and knee reconstructed due to mountain bike crashes. :)

·
Team Fearless Descender
1,976 Posts
Racing number, 3-speed shift, speedo, sissy bar, bandage on elbow, tape measure on belt (WTF?) and a thumbs up. Not unlike the way I rock today – 35+ years later.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Yep, I know what you mean.

Every time I jump on my bike, 40 years later, I see things through these eyes

Rock

Attachments

·
Negative Rep Points!!!!
4,160 Posts
El Salt said:
Racing number, 3-speed shift, speedo, sissy bar, bandage on elbow, tape measure on belt (WTF?) and a thumbs up. Not unlike the way I rock today – 35+ years later.

ReTodd:

That was my dream bike!

Looks like you could get into a serious aero tuck with that thing!

·
Stucco Bucket
1,920 Posts
Im pretty sure that will be my sons first memories.
Its not mine, but bikes have been a constant in my life since 4.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts