Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Apparently the parcours (can I use that word in this forum?) is super fast and non-tech this year... Sven Njis will be on a modified version of his cross bike, supposedly sporting 45mm tubulars. I guess that would be a 28.5er?

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
DC: How many racers , acocorfding to yous, know about 29ers, their new geometry and enhanced benefits without many disadvantages?

If you know about 29ers, rest assured that all the pros know about them as well. Let's drop all the excuses and accept that people won't use 29ers unless they really believe they will have an advantage in the race course.

·
2006 sswc RockStar
928 Posts
i know someone who is good friends with one of his landenbrookcredit-whatever it is road team mates, and he doesnt think there is anything planned other than his colnago ibex, but you never know...............

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
If the course is fast and untechnical, why not use a triathlon bike with 650c wheels?

29" makes the difference on loose or wet trails, and everything but smooth rolling surfaces. 26" rolls and corners quite decently on easy courses. Air drag is among the biggest hold-ups. 29" is all about rolling over obstacles, maintaining control, and improved grip/traction/float.

·
Registered
237 Posts
The modified CX bike rumors are insinuated here

"Nys makes Olympic training plan

Sven Nys' coach is already making specific training plans to prepare the star cyclo-cross rider to compete in the mountain bike events at the Beijing Olympic Games. The #1 ranked rider will preview the Beijing mountain bike course in May on a converted cyclo-cross bike rather than a standard mountain bike.

"There is nothing against this in the regulations, and on that parcours it is certainly an option," said Belgian coach Rudy De Bie in Het Laaste Nieuws.

With cyclo-cross not on the Olympic agenda, Nys, who dominates the 'cross circuit, is a former Belgian mountain bike champion, but third on the list for the Belgian Olympic mountain bike squad behind Roel Paulisson and Filip Meirhaeghe.

"On March 31, Sven will start his preparations for the Games. His first pick is planned for the mountain bike European championships in Sankt Wendel," Paul Van den Bosch told Sporza.be. "After that there are two big competitions on the agenda: The World Cup in Fort William and the World Championships," he said.

Nys had previously discounted his Olympic hopes after having trouble competing in hot weather, but his coach has a plan to tackle that weakness. "July and August will be entirely dominated by specific training and adaptation to the extreme heat."

"The signs are now all pointing in the same direction: direction east. Hopefully we will return at the end of August satisfied: direction west.""

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
And all because the UCI chose to ignore strong recommendations from those involved in supplying info leading up to changing the 6 in the rules by a 9 (ahum).
Most MTB'ers think there's some sort of minimum tire wodth rule, but it doesn't exist.

·
MTB Rider
3,007 Posts
26ers in parking lot ≠ mountain biking

26ers in parking lot ≠ mountain biking. It has nothing to do with 29ers. It has EVERYTHING to do with selecting courses which require an all terrain bike rather than a time trial bike.

I have ridden the proposed course for the Chicago Olympic bid. I can assure you, no one will be taking road bikes down those rooty downhills. No way!!! There were a few sections that had me wishing hard for suspension, I was riding 2.3" tires.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.