Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just reading a thread on the Intense forum where they just discovered that the 5.5 actually only gets 4.5 or 4.7" of rear wheel travel before the seatstay bridge makes contact with the seat tube. Ouch.

I have measured the travel on my Turners in the past and found that the XCE and 5-Spot got exactly the amount of advertised travel (XCE w/ Vanilla RC got 3.98" and the Spot about 5.1" with the Romic). Just for kicks and since the 5.5 thread got me thinking, I measured the 6-Pack w/ the RP3.

I flipped the bike upside down, adjusted the saddle height so the bike was level (both wheel axles were the same distance from the ground), and measured the distance in cm from the ground to the rear axle. I then deflated the RP3 and used a bar-clamp to pull the rockers towards the seat tube to simulate some bottoming force. I did this so I would not influence the final measurement by pushing down on the rear wheel to compress the bottomout bumper but also compress the saddle's padding.

The starting distance, floor to axle, was 75.4cm, the bottomed distance was 59.7cm, so the rear wheel moved 15.7cm, or 6.18". Not bad for a bike with advertised 6" of travel.

·
Never enough time to ride
1,577 Posts
Though I've only got a Burner, it's good to know that I will more than likely have the travel advertised. I can't imagine what I would be thinking if I came up an short, let alone I would hate to here the excuses Intense comes up with.

happy trails...

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Good to hear...

tscheezy said:
I was just reading a thread on the Intense forum where they just discovered that the 5.5 actually only gets 4.5 or 4.7"
So did Intense decide to pull a similar marketing ploy as DT starting a thread entitled "The RETURN OF THE 4.5... er... or 4.7 (in name only)"

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
You had me scared there for a minute T, all is right now. TNC did this test on his Bullits, his findings were not as blessed as yours, the Bullit only gets 6.5" of travel. I guess that not only do Jeff and Rob get to share the VPP patent, they get to fudge on the meas'ies!

·
deez nuts
228 Posts
God, I hate to say this out loud but the 5.5 feels like it has at least it's advertised travel. With that said, I wouldn't trade my spot for any vpp bike. I would trade the spot for a 6-Pack though!
Shaft

·
Trampelpfadbenutzer
692 Posts
tscheezy said:
The starting distance, floor to axle, was 75.4cm, the bottomed distance was 59.7cm, so the rear wheel moved 15.7cm, or 6.18". Not bad for a bike with advertised 6" of travel.
This a good to hear and it is great someone took the time and the afford to get some real data.
As usual we are not disapointed.
Keep on the good work and thanks to you , tscheezy!

Later
RaD

·
Registered
485 Posts
Thanks for the data. I was reading the data on the Intense forum too, and wondering. I mean, I know my Spot has been getting 2" of travel on the shock, but still....

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
The only surprising thing here...

...is that Tscheezy made it through an entire Alaskan winter with his new toy leaving this stone unturned :p

The only thing close to a letdown I've ever had with a Turner was the realization shortly after purchasing my XCE that it used a semi-proprietary shock (1.75" stroke). In reality it was my fault for not knowing this in the first place, and is really not that big a deal anyway since it's still fully functional with a standard 1.5" stroke shock (see the Burner), and the XR rockers were available to remedy this "problem" anyway. Otherwise Turner has invariably met or exceeded my (often high) expectations on all counts, so I can't say I'm even "relieved" to hear the Pack is getting the claimed travel- it only seems natural.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Not to be smug or anything here but I think I've just had a lucky escape. I sold my 5.5 about six weeks ago :D

Now much happier back on a 5Spot with it's full advertised travel :cool:

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
True travel

Yea I checked my spot after reading the 5.5 thread and it gets the full 5" of travel. So just to see how much of a buffer zone Turner gave us before the seatstays contact the seat tube I unbolted the shock, compressed and remeasured and the contact occured at about 5.5" :D of travel at the seatstay yoke and the tire on the front derailure cable stop at the same time. I know a couple guys who run the 5.5 and they both swear it's more plush than there old UZZI SLX's and I haven't ridden a 5.5 but I did own a Blur (same travel) and I find it hard to believe that any 4.7" bike can be more plush than a 7" bike. Thanks DT for overengineering instead of underengineering you're bikes and for not calling it a 5.5 even though it's at least possible to cycle the suspension that far.

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
By multiplying the actual travel of my bike by a factor of 1.222222222222 (just like Intense does) I have come to the conclusion that I own a 7.55-pack.

·
Registered
476 Posts
slowrider said:
I know a couple guys who run the 5.5 and they both swear it's more plush than there old UZZI SLX's and I haven't ridden a 5.5 but I did own a Blur (same travel) and I find it hard to believe that any 4.7" bike can be more plush than a 7" bike.
I used to ride an older version of SLX (6 inch travel)
and currently riding a 5.5 (4.5 I mean).
I am one of those guys feels 5.5 got more travel than SLX.
I know it's weird, but it's just how I feel.
It sucks when I found out the actual travel is an inch shorter than advertised.
but... it's still an awesome bike, I'm gonna keep riding it.
If my 5.5 dies, I might shop for something else (like 6pack or 575)
depends on how Intense's gonna handle this "missing travel" thing.
Since I'm waiting for the 6.6.

·
The Ancient One
1,573 Posts
Using Tscheezy's method I measured my California edition ID and got close to exactly 5", which is what it's supposed to be.

I guess Tony E. doesn't always lie.

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
Steve from JH said:
Using Tscheezy's method I measured my California edition ID and got close to exactly 5", which is what it's supposed to be.

I guess Tony E. doesn't always lie.
On a funny note, when I had a truth, the reported actual travel was around 3.8" Thus, my new burner is actually closer to my old truth than I thought. :D

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.