Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Bike Hoor
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

We have read a ton on here about the 66SL, and most of us have probably even called Marzocchi.. so let's get all the info in one thread. I'll start...

Weight - 195
Bike - Nomad
Positive Chambers - 30
Negative Chamber - 90
PAR - 7

It feels a bit stiff for my liking, but I am not sure I feel safe running less than that. I have read that many guys my weight are running 20 pounds in the positive, and the math tells me that to get the full 170mm, I would need 60 in the negative. I am not sure if those pressures are TOO LOW for the fork to survive. I did ride around a bit with those settings and the thing was like buttah. Anyone have any similar experiences to share with the 66SL?

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
Weight - 210+
Bike - Pack

I haven't checked the negative but I use whatever gives me 5.5" of exposed stanchion.

Now that I have a LP Pump (thanks esquire) I can tell what I have in it.

Positives - 20psi
PAR at 5PSI.
Compression - 4 clicks

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
Well, from previous posts, it's become apparent that my PSI settings are the highest amoungst the 66SL club. I'm starting to wonder if my pump scale is jacked, my fork is weird, or the rest of you are lying, no goo..........never mind:D

Weight - 185
Bike - CLASSIC RFX [accept no immitations]:D
Positive Chambers - 50
Negative Chamber - 200 plus
PAR-zero
Exposed Stanchion/ travel - 150mm
Compression setting- backed all the way out

·
Bike Hoor
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How does it feel at 50 though? I could not believe the difference going from 30 to ~22.

Does anyone know if there is a MINIMUM for either chamber (assuming said minimum is above 0)? I love mine set at 22 positive and 66 negative, but hate the thought of damaging the fork due to lack of air pressure.

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
Tha'ts what I'm getting at; my readings are weird. At 50 pounds, my fork is pure soft butter. Even when I extend the fork to 170mm, I still use that amount of air. So I think my pump scale is jacked. Perhaps if you guys at Boutique bikes send me a pump like you got for SSINGA, you know, one that takes three months to get,:D , I might get different readings.
I was under the impression that 75 PSI was the minimum to use in the negative chamber.

·
Bike Hoor
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Easy now, we have to string SSINGA along, otherwise he would be broke, divorced and forced to create sexual relations with his bike. His Six Pack would be packing six... if you know what I'm saying. We do that for his own well being, whether he likes it or not.

If you want one of the low pressure Marz pumps, we can get one on order for you. They really do make a big difference. I agree that the readings on the high pressure ones seem to be skewed below 100psi.

·
Leash Law Enforcer
1,119 Posts
I am continually amazed at how smooth this fork is for being an air fork. I am also amazed at how adjustable and tunable it is. That being said, I am confused by how some people are running their forks compared to what the owner's manaul says. Perhaps I am reading the manual wrong, but I don't run the same pressures in both my positive chambers. The manual lists pressures for a positive chamber and a preload chamber. Depending on your weight, the suggested pressures are far different from each other. Correct me if I am wrong, but I have always assumed that the preload pressure were for the positive chamber in the RC2 cartridge and the positive pressure was for the positive chamber in the Doppio air cartridge. It seems very logical that these two pressures would be the same. But, it seems the manual suggests otherwise. Can anyone shed any light/offer any advice on this?

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
Innocent Bystander said:
Easy now, we have to string SSINGA along, otherwise he would be broke, divorced and forced to create sexual relations with his bike. His Six Pack would be packing six... if you know what I'm saying. We do that for his own well being, whether he likes it or not.

If you want one of the low pressure Marz pumps, we can get one on order for you. They really do make a big difference. I agree that the readings on the high pressure ones seem to be skewed below 100psi.
And what makes you think SSINGA isn't allready having......relations with his bike?:yikes:

I don't know, I may need a new pump, but I'd really like it have it before the season ends.:wink: :cornut:
Pinch, no fault of yours; the marz. manual is misleading. There is no preload chamber. Both positive chambers are the main air spring chambers. Put equal amounts of air in each of them.

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
SSINGA said:
Maybe if it had a 1.5 headtube!
I'd venture a guess that the old standard of a one inch head tube is MORE than adequate for you.:lol:
Don't you just love all these new emoticons? Do you think Aqua and Gonzo will just fall head over heels for them?:mad2:

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
Maybe more relevent than air pressure

What amount and weight of oil are you using in your 66SL??

Zocchi tech support says 210ccs in the right and 60ccs in the left with 7wt.

JNC posted that he used 200 and 40 with 5wt.

I'm about to redo mine with 7wt and 205 and 50 to split the difference.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Now I've had a bit of an odd experience with these forks. I am a light rider at about 55-60kg. When I first got them, after initial break in I was running them down at 16 +ve and 60 -ve. I have now had the forks TFTuned with new oil, seals etc, am running completely different settings with considerably more pressure and getting a much plusher ride:

Pos: 25psi
Neg: 85psi
Compression: 12 clicks from max
Rebound: 5 clicks from max

Left leg oil: 7.5 wt, 75ml
Right Leg oil: 7.5wt, 180ml

I think the moral of this story is after break in, service the forks and make sure the oil heights are correct - it has made a big difference for me.

NB, for those of you who don't know, TFTuned are a UK based suspension tuning company. They service and tune suspension for Steve Peat, The Athertons, almost all top UK DHers, the Santa Cruz Syndicate team (when in Europe) etc. They really know their stuff, and it shows.

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
SSINGA said:
What amount and weight of oil are you using in your 66SL??

Zocchi tech support says 210ccs in the right and 60ccs in the left with 7wt.

JNC posted that he used 200 and 40 with 5wt.

I'm about to redo mine with 7wt and 205 and 50 to split the difference.
Are you talkin' to me?:shocked:
I didn't have a real accurate graduated cylinder or certified marzocchi fork oil calibration device on hand when I changed my oil. The oil I drained out of each leg was close to those levels you posted. I actually put a little too much in the RC2 leg at first, found I wasn't getting full travel, drained a little out, called it good. However:
Unless a person is WAY off on their oil levels, I don't understand how that would affect the PSI read on the gage. The PSI read is independant of volumne of the remaining air chamber in the fork leg, is it not?
Oh, I used 5 wt. oil

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
sampo said:
I have now had the forks TFTuned
What exactly do they change in the fork to allow the higher pressure and still keep responsive damping characteristics? I was under the impression that the Zocchi cartridges are sealed and not serviceable. No??

·
Registered
166 Posts
Weight - 230 with gear
Bike - Joker
Positive Chambers - 30
Negative Chamber - 95
Travel - 170 mm
PAR - 5

Have about 40 trail riding hours on the fork now, and it is starting to become really, really plush. Next weekend is the first shuttling weekend for the fork, and after that it's def time for an oil change. Still a bit unsure about the PAR pressure, it feels a bit too progressive with 5 psi, so I think I'll go down to 4 for the weekend. I've been fiddling around with the negative pressure, trying to get as much as possible pressure in without losing travel. The point with this has been to achieve as little friction as possible on the in stroke. I've gotten away with 30 pos/ 100 neg.

·
Xtremely Moderate
3,098 Posts
The 66sl is a strange fork indeed.
It feels stiff/sticky when at rest but once the bike is moving it seems to be fine.
Its getting more compliant over time and its almost time for an oil change.

Funny though, my settings seem to be much lower than a lot of peoples' despite the fact that I'm probably bigger than most. But I haven't bottomed on 10 ft. hucks and it still feels like its sensitive on the small stuff. Call it good I guess.

Weight - 225 + gear
Bike - VP-Free
Positive Chambers - 20
Negative Chamber - 60
PAR - 0
Compression - approx 1/2 way

·
Registered
166 Posts
Yesterday I hit the slopes hard for the frst time with the 66. I had maybe a little too much sag with 30 psi in the pos springs, so I upped the pressure to 35 psi, which was a bit too much. I think I'll settle for 30-32 and crank the compression damping up a bit to avoid diving. Otherwise, I was very pleased with the fork, I'ts light years ahead of my former sherman flick. Somehow it seems to have improved my jumping skills too, maybe its the stiffness and/or predictability when gravity kicks in ;). I even managed to throw my first tailwhip on the first run ;). Love the 66 SL for sure!

1 - 20 of 88 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.