Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DISCLAIMER: yer' gonna die. Don't do this unless you want to risk your life, informational purposes only i.e. don't sue me

Photos:
I found a recently rebuilt reverb for $85 at a used gear sale and didn't consider it wouldn't work with a Tranny 26... luckily, water bottle mounting inserts exist!

You can use a 9/32" drill bit and you'll be drilling through pure aluminum, but that doesn't clear the reverb hose bit -- wire droppers would probably clear a 1/4" hole. At first I went in at a bit of an angle, but then bought a right angle drill attachment so I could go straight.

Jumped the gun from 9/32 to 5/16 and that partially tore the insert and when I went with the 19/64, it came out completely. My mistake was also going too slowly. Having the drill at high speed when engaging will make sure it doesn't catch.

It seems there is a two part insert so even with the thing ripped out, I think it ripped mostly away from another aluminum bit rather than carbon. Plus, if you look down the seattube, the carbon looks pretty janky anyway so the frame is probably sized (designed) to take poorly drilled holes given manufacturing challenges. I coated the hole in a bit of epoxy just to be on the safe side. Could probably shave quite a bit of weight in carbon fiber by elimination water bottle and internal cable routing holes (although aero losses might be larger on cabled).

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.