Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Cannonball!
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Compare and contrast the new Enduro vs the current Stumpjumper Evo platforms. Price points, fit, handling, pedaling efficiency, descending, aesthetics, whatever! I am curious what everyone has to say. I know there won't be a ton of hands on experience with the Enduro yet, but hopefully this thread will survive long enough for some good feedback.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am here for the feedback too. These are the two bikes I am deciding between. I live in an RV full time and spend a month or two every year in whistler, but then I ride flowy singletrack in the southeast US all fall and spring.

Enduro would be better for bike park, but stumpy EVO should climb better. I am worried that the new Enduro may be too big of a bike for the flowy singletrack, so I am leaning towards the EVO with a longer stroke shock to up the rear travel close to 160mm. But the very low bb on the EVO also may be an issue, but I don’t know?

But I would love to hear from someone that has ridden both.

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
I won't have my Enduro for a month or so, but I will say that my Evo stacks up very well against my previous 160/170 bikes even on the steep rough tracks. Can't wait to get my Enduro though. The Evo is not a plush/plow bike which is my personal preference. It is a great race bike for less extreme/non EWS level tracks.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
I think the Evo Pro suits my budget way more than the new Enduro. My problem is I tend to replace the brakes, fork and shock to the ones I want. So the Comp model generally suits me. But we've seen the 2019 Enduro Comp go from $4500NZ to $7500NZ in the 2020.

·
Registered
33 Posts
And just to make things interesting, I would love to hear people’s opinion on how they both compare to the old enduro (18-19) as those can now be bought new for very cheap. Would it be a better one bike to own than the Stumpy EVO? It has an older style geometry so maybe it would become outdated a little quicker? Maybe?

·
Cannonball!
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I finally had a chance to test ride a Stumpjumper Evo in S2. It seemed like a good fit for me, I'm 5'7. Pedaling position seemed good and felt more stable than my 2017 SJ on the little pavement climb that I did, but felt a little weird standing and sprinting on the flats. Wish I could get a real ride on one, but this will have to do for now. There doesn't seem to be any of the new Enduros around right now, rumor has it there is one on the trails though. They are slightly shorter than the Evo on paper for the same size, so I would still like to check out an S2 and S3.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I finally had a chance to test ride a Stumpjumper Evo in S2. It seemed like a good fit for me, I'm 5'7. Pedaling position seemed good and felt more stable than my 2017 SJ on the little pavement climb that I did, but felt a little weird standing and sprinting on the flats. Wish I could get a real ride on one, but this will have to do for now. There doesn't seem to be any of the new Enduros around right now, rumor has it there is one on the trails though. They are slightly shorter than the Evo on paper for the same size, so I would still like to check out an S2 and S3.
Did you ride a 27.5 or 29 EVO? They are 20mm longer in each size on the 27.5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
The 2020 Enduro is for full Enduro Racing. It's all true! It is a mini-DH bike that pedals out of the saddle --like you might do in an Enduro Race --really, really well.

The Stumpy Evo is really low.
Sounds like you really like the Enduro, but aren't a huge fan of the Stumpy EVO. I usually spend a couple months in the Summer near a bike park, like Whistler or maybe Northstar this year, but the other 9 months I am all over the country. I live in an RV full time. Example being I am in Florida right now. Will the Enduro feel too sluggish and no fun in that situation? I think I would still enjoy it, I am not going for record times.

Everyone talks about being overbiked like it's the worst thing in the world. But I feel I would rather be overbiked than underbiked. Another example being me riding my 2018 SJ 29 in whistler for several months last year.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Sounds like you really like the Enduro, but aren't a huge fan of the Stumpy EVO. I usually spend a couple months in the Summer near a bike park, like Whistler or maybe Northstar this year, but the other 9 months I am all over the country. I live in an RV full time. Example being I am in Florida right now. Will the Enduro feel too sluggish and no fun in that situation? I think I would still enjoy it, I am not going for record times.

Everyone talks about being overbiked like it's the worst thing in the world. But I feel I would rather be overbiked than underbiked. Another example being me riding my 2018 SJ 29 in whistler for several months last year.
I currently have the 2020 Enduro and an Epic Evo ...had a bunch of other Enduros and Stumpies ...including the Alloy Evo. As you can imagine, the is not much overlap in the set of trails where I use the Enduro and the separate set of trails where I use the Epic, but sometimes a bike is down and you ride what you have working. So I have ridden the Enduro on in-town, pure XC for the masses trails, riders in lycra --the full deal -- and it didn't suck. The Enduro is far from a quiver-killer, but if I had to pick between the 2020 Enduro and Stumpy Evo, I'd say the 2020 Enduro is more versatile due to the Evo being so low and not pedaling as well.

The Enduro can obviously be set up like a downhill bike, but I have found it to be quite comfortable for all-day, up-and-down gnar if you adjust your suspension accordingly. Although, the Fox Factory 36 on the front might be over-damped for lighter riders in my opinion.

·
Registered
112 Posts
When have you ever read about someone spending X amount of $ on the newest bike out there and saying, 'It's OK but I wished I didn't get it and like my old bike better'.

Very rare to never - it's a new bike, with new a new suspension design and suspension kinematics. Plus that person made a decision and spent their hard earned cash so it's gonna be awesome.

Now you'll get a different response from those who TEST the latest bikes out but not from those that BUY the latest bikes.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.