Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I don't want to go into a whole lot of detail, I wanted to start this thread basically because there is a fairly new process out there for those with enlarged prostates.

50% of men will have BPH (enlarged prostates) by the time they're 60, 70% by the age of 60+.

I've been taking Tamsulosin for several years to relax the prostate, and the doc recently prescribed Finasteride to shrink it. While the Tamsulosin works well enough, the Finasteride will take a while to see results, and there are some side effects with both drugs. I would much rather go a different route, rather than take meds and possibly have surgery, so when I heard about the steam treatment, I was stoked.

Steam treatment is relatively new, so long-term data regarding its success rate it not yet available. But, in the three years it has been widely available, studies show that in 90 to 95 percent of men who have steam treatment, benign prostatic hyperplasia symptoms are significantly reduced or eliminated.

Steam treatment for benign prostatic hyperplasia is performed in a health care provider's office, and the procedure itself usually takes less than 15 minutes. It doesn't require a hospital stay. During the treatment, a tiny needle is inserted into the urethra and positioned within the prostate gland. In nine seconds, the needle produces a steam ball within the prostate that is about 2 centimeters wide. All the tissue the steam touches is destroyed. That eliminates the extra prostate tissue that causes benign prostatic hyperplasia symptoms.

More info here: https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/...m-treatment-for-benign-prostatic-hyperplasia/

And here: https://www.treatmybph.com/bph-patient-us/home.html

I'm going to be asking my doc about this treatment. Any info you guys could add would be welcomed. While prostate enlargement is not life-threatening (unless it's cancer), it's pretty inconvenient sometimes. :madman:

·
Registered
515 Posts
I’ve had a cystoscopy multiple times i.e. jamming sh*t up the urethra. Umm, no thanks to add steam, too.

Actually, the whole procedure is awful. I’d take a pill, before another device gets pushed up my c**k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
239 Posts
I've had a cystoscopy multiple times i.e. jamming sh*t up the urethra. Umm, no thanks to add steam, too.

Actually, the whole procedure is awful. I'd take a pill, before another device gets pushed up my c**k.

I have always wanted to share this story, but it's so gruesome that although tempted, I would never put it out there. However, since it's gruesomeness factor has now been eclipsed, and it's directly related ...

back in the day, when I was in my 20s, I kept getting prostate infections. The doc decided to go up there and have a look. Keep in mind this as in the 1980s, way before those little fiber optic cameras they have now. Said the doctor, you're young, just come on in tomorrow and we'll do it in the office. So I stupidly show up for my appointment, and the nurse tells me to take off my pants and cover myself with this towel she left behind. She also left a stainless tray, with a lid on it. As I waited there, my curiosity got the better of me, and I took the lid off that tray to see what was in there. For an instant, what I saw looked like it came from a cleaning kit for a shotgun. Next thing I remember, I am on the floor with smelling salts up my nose bringing me back. Said the doctor, we're gonna have to put you to sleep to do this, if we get it in there and you tense up, it won't come out. Alrighty then, putting under would be an excellent idea ...

hopefully, with modern medicine bring what it is, whatever they use now isn't 12 gauge .

·
Registered
515 Posts
I have always wanted to share this story, but it's so gruesome that although tempted, I would never put it out there. However, since it's gruesomeness factor has now been eclipsed, and it's directly related ...

back in the day, when I was in my 20s, I kept getting prostate infections. The doc decided to go up there and have a look. Keep in mind this as in the 1980s, way before those little fiber optic cameras they have now. Said the doctor, you're young, just come on in tomorrow and we'll do it in the office. So I stupidly show up for my appointment, and the nurse tells me to take off my pants and cover myself with this towel she left behind. She also left a stainless tray, with a lid on it. As I waited there, my curiosity got the better of me, and I took the lid off that tray to see what was in there. For an instant, what I saw looked like it came from a cleaning kit for a shotgun. Next thing I remember, I am on the floor with smelling salts up my nose bringing me back. Said the doctor, we're gonna have to put you to sleep to do this, if we get it in there and you tense up, it won't come out. Alrighty then, putting under would be an excellent idea ...

hopefully, with modern medicine bring what it is, whatever they use now isn't 12 gauge .
That was like me, except I didn't pass out. I went to the office after the first time, and I was freaked out the entire day. Didn't get much work done as I was too busy replaying the disaster of the morning.

I thought we were just going to have a consultation. . Ha!

·
livin' the dream......
1,968 Posts
Signed up for the 'Steam treatment' but cancelled it. My PSA # has gone up enough between testing that I had an MRI done a few weeks ago. They found a lesion on there, so I am getting a biopsy in two weeks. Fingers crossed.

I take the Tamsalosin too, and it works really well.

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Signed up for the 'Steam treatment' but cancelled it. My PSA # has gone up enough between testing that I had an MRI done a few weeks ago. They found a lesion on there, so I am getting a biopsy in two weeks. Fingers crossed.

I take the Tamsalosin too, and it works really well.
Good luck!

Tamsulosin works well for me, too, it's just that if I skip a pill, I'm back to square one.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I know your frustration. I was on Tamsulosin for a couple years. It worked well at first then slowly started losing it's effectiveness. Doc wanted me to take 2 .4mg pills a day. I'd had enough. It was time for surgery.

That was last June. At the time Resume, the steam treatment had been out for over 6 months. A buddy who is in the same practice but not my Doc said the success rate wasn't that great for what you have to go through. He recommended I do the HOLEP surgery which is what my Doc specialized in. My doc agreed and we moved forward.

The surgery was a complete success. I would absolutely do it again if I had to. ! year later when I go it still sounds like a cow pissing on a flat rock. I piss like I'm 18 not 58. Usually wake 1 time a night now compared to the 3-5 times pre surgery.

Oh, and the C-scope thing, there's nothing fiber optic about it. Most painful thing I've ever experienced. Insurance would't pay to put me under either.

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know your frustration. I was on Tamsulosin for a couple years. It worked well at first then slowly started losing it's effectiveness. Doc wanted me to take 2 .4mg pills a day. I'd had enough. It was time for surgery.

That was last June. At the time Resume, the steam treatment had been out for over 6 months. A buddy who is in the same practice but not my Doc said the success rate wasn't that great for what you have to go through. He recommended I do the HOLEP surgery which is what my Doc specialized in. My doc agreed and we moved forward.

The surgery was a complete success. I would absolutely do it again if I had to. ! year later when I go it still sounds like a cow pissing on a flat rock. I piss like I'm 18 not 58. Usually wake 1 time a night now compared to the 3-5 times pre surgery.

Oh, and the C-scope thing, there's nothing fiber optic about it. Most painful thing I've ever experienced. Insurance would't pay to put me under either.
Thanks for relating your experience!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've had a cystoscopy multiple times i.e. jamming sh*t up the urethra. Umm, no thanks to add steam, too.

Actually, the whole procedure is awful. I'd take a pill, before another device gets pushed up my c**k.

Right there with you. The worst part of the cystoscopy was passing through my prostate, hurt like hell! Worse even than during my prostate biopsy a core was taken in an area that was not numb.......

·
IPA tester
1,363 Posts
Thanks (I think) for posting this up since I have an appointment in July for the elevated PSA. Who knows where it will end up. Gotta get a smaller cancer spot cut out tomorrow so I'm in for a ride this year :eekster:

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I use a drug called "terazosin which is also an alpha blocker, whatever that is. It does work because symptoms get worse if I miss a dose or two. Terazosin is similar to Tamsulosin but has less side effects according to the doctor.

Has anyone used both of these drugs? Which worked best?

·
IPA tester
1,363 Posts
Did anything work?

I am 53, I have had doctors literally yell at me that biking can't cause prostate infections since I was in my late 20s. A long running battle with no real answers. I took finisteride once for a week and I fully understand why Trump is a sleepless hormonal maniac. It messed me up too much to even care about my prostate. Wow do I not recommend taking that stuff without great care.

I basically ride for a few months until I get so sick and constantly sore that I can't work, travel etc, let alone bike seriously. Then I go get a randomly guessed antibiotic treatment, often from an urgent care. My usual docs think it is just some kind of lazyness or something and when I am sick I am too tired to have the same ****ing argument all over again so I just end up swirling the drain for a few weeks until my wife carts me to Urgent Care when it seems like I might die in a few days.

Sometimes the antibiotics really work, and sometime I just slowly and barely recover for six months with no riding.
Man, I'm sorry to hear this and feel your pain from your post. Keep looking elsewhere, internet, other centers, and hopefully you find something that works for you. It seems more & more that a person has to become their own doctor and demand treatments other than the same old thing that doesn't work.

Take care....

·
Registered
418 Posts
Welp, still 2 weeks from 50 and my doc gave me my gifts early. Elevated PSA (minorly of course, 3 when reference range puts 2.5 high normal) got me a palpation. Seems normal to my doc so I'll give blood again in a month and go from there. Might be a low grade subclinical UTI I guess but we shall see.

Is there any evidence for biking causing minor inflammation of the prostate? I know some can have minor urethral damage, blood in urine, etc. but I can't imagine there being a saddle that could cause damage so far internally.

·
livin' the dream......
1,968 Posts
Well guys, my biopsy was negative! I need to go back in 6 months and get the PSA checked again. The biopsy was not as bad as I thought, but when I entered the room, the first thing I saw was the probe, with a condom on it, covered in some gel. Ugh.

Only took a few minutes, and I was out of there. I have asked my doc about the bike saddle causing prostate issues, but he says it is not the cause of the issue. Happy riding!

Reactions: Brules

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well guys, my biopsy was negative! I need to go back in 6 months and get the PSA checked again. The biopsy was not as bad as I thought, but when I entered the room, the first thing I saw was the probe, with a condom on it, covered in some gel. Ugh.

Only took a few minutes, and I was out of there. I have asked my doc about the bike saddle causing prostate issues, but he says it is not the cause of the issue. Happy riding!
Congrats! :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 132 Posts