Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
No. Just No.
5,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please post up your top reasons why, in the format of "nogearshere sucks because...". I know it's kind of like shooting fish in a barrel, or trying to pick your favourite grain of sand at the beach, but we have to start somewhere.

·
Misfit Psycles
2,772 Posts
This guy staggers into a bar and shouts, "A double whisky please barman, and a drink for everyone here… and while you're at it, have one yourself."

"Well thank you sir," says the barman and proceeds to pour everyone their drinks.

Moments later the guy shouts, "Another whisky for me, and the same again for everyone else."

The bartender looks a little worried now and says, "Excuse me sir, but don't you think you should pay me for that last round first?"

The guy slurs, "I can't. I don't have any money." With this the bartender flies into a rage and literally throws the guy out of the bar.

About twenty minutes later though the guy staggers back in and shouts out, "A double whisky for me, and a drink for all my friends."

"I suppose you'll be offering me a drink too?" the barman asks, marvelling at the guy's nerve.

"Not likely," slurs the guy, "you get nasty when you've had a drink!"

·
Looking for Adventure
1,060 Posts
Hmmmm, so I guess I have to bite.

nogearshere sucks because.....he is converting the Ontario mountain biking scene to weird misfits riding singlespeeds, making them faster than the rest of the us geared bike racers, and then continues to make us spandex wearers a topic of distasteful fashion all the while making yellow a hot new cool fashion colour for men. And then he has the nerve to send a large Ontario team of misfits to the rockies, attending the toughest stage race in North America, showing those western boys how fast and durable single-speed riders can be, and embarrassing me in the process. Boy, next thing you know he is going to send a team of single-speed cross bikes to that same race this year and really embarrass me, and then do it all over again at the Crank the Shield that I will be attending. What is next.......unicycles???? No, wait a minute, that has already been done.

·
Registered
480 Posts
What's the deal with those things, are they a liability for most normal courses? I see people do well on them from time to time, but they seem like guy who would do well on anything.

Sorry if this has been answered, my eyes kind of glaze over when people start going on about all the esoteric single speed stuff.

·
Misfit Psycles
2,772 Posts
jroden said:
What's the deal with those things, are they a liability for most normal courses?
It's a matter of personal preference...in my mind it's an advantage for most every course...placebo effect perhaps...

jroden said:
I see people do well on them from time to time, but they seem like guy who would do well on anything.
Of course, it is the engine that matters most and the folks of whom you speak likely would do as well or even better...but (as stated above) I doubt I'd do well on a 27spd FS...deer in the headlights mostly with all that crap on the bar.

jroden said:
Sorry if this has been answered, my eyes kind of glaze over when people start going on about all the esoteric single speed stuff.
There is far too much zen-type referencing, harder-then-thou and ratio-speak happening in the parking lots of Southern Ontario, that's precisely why I have decided that I hate single speeders. Especially those with nogears.

EDIT: C'mon, you get it right??? Especially those with nogears.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I'm always a sucker for crap I read on the internet. I read all these artiles about how riding a fixed gear over the winter would be this wonderful experience that would make me a more "supple" kind of guy and put the joy back into cycling. I did it for 2 winters and it just never really moven me any mor or less than riding a regular bike.

My only reason for being interested in the single speeds is the simplicity, I suspect I'd get iced in the non-technical races I tend toward, though.

·
No. Just No.
5,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ricksom said:
...continues to make us spandex wearers a topic of distasteful fashion all the while making yellow a hot new cool fashion colour for men...
You're telling me he's making his minions wear yellow spandex? Is this mountain biking or a Dancercise class??? The infernal levels of degradation this man stoops to seemingly knows no bounds. The revolution has to start here folks, before it's too late.

·
No. Just No.
5,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jroden said:
What's the deal with those things, are they a liability for most normal courses? I see people do well on them from time to time, but they seem like guy who would do well on anything.

Thanks for ruining this thread with a serious question. :rolleyes: This despicable thread-jacking shows a clear lack of respect for your fellow MTBR'ers and will not be tolerated.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
nogearshere: I have decided that I hate single speeders. Especially those with nogears.

Yeah, I hate them too. They all wear yellow, ride that Misfit bike-on-crack and kick a$$ in the O-Cups. And they seem to really enjoy nogears. Go figure. ;)

·
Singlespeed Mysty
646 Posts
Ricksom said:
Yes, yellow spandex jerseys with baggy shorts.......the nerve of that guy.
hey now boyz, not all of his minions are wearing baggy shorts... Mysty loves the yellow spandex jeresey of hers with spandex shorts! :D

the nerve indeed... nogearshere don't suck... he rules:D

Attachments

·
More than a little slow
654 Posts
Nogears sucks because he makes all of his bikes out of aluminum (with the exception of one skinny arsed noodle of Ti thing), which as you all know is WRONG. Aluminum has one main purpose in this world and that is to be made into containers for beer. Nooooo....not cans....kegs. What really burns is that he is a self proclaimed single speed messiah and as such should be drinking only beer and only from a keg and how can he therefore make his bikes from a material that should be reserved solely for the godly liquid ?????. I'm starting to believe that the man really isn't a single speeder, he must have some super secret Rohloff hub stuck in the rear wheel somehow, and if he got hold of a Rohloff that small then, yes sir I'll say it, he must be in league with the deeevil himself. I say we burn him at the stake, amen.

·
sock puppet
8,104 Posts
who is nogearshere?

sounds familiar though...

Circlip said:
Please post up your top reasons why, in the format of "nogearshere sucks because...". I know it's kind of like shooting fish in a barrel, or trying to pick your favourite grain of sand at the beach, but we have to start somewhere.

·
Bored
1,982 Posts
Ricksom said:
Hmmmm, so I guess I have to bite.

nogearshere sucks because.....he is converting the Ontario mountain biking scene to weird misfits riding singlespeeds, making them faster than the rest of the us geared bike racers, and then continues to make us spandex wearers a topic of distasteful fashion all the while making yellow a hot new cool fashion colour for men. And then he has the nerve to send a large Ontario team of misfits to the rockies, attending the toughest stage race in North America, showing those western boys how fast and durable single-speed riders can be, and embarrassing me in the process. Boy, next thing you know he is going to send a team of single-speed cross bikes to that same race this year and really embarrass me, and then do it all over again at the Crank the Shield that I will be attending. What is next.......unicycles???? No, wait a minute, that has already been done.
That sounds more like praise and a$$ kising. Try again.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.